DCU - Revs and USMNT[r]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Nov 6, 2004.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Alecko Eskandarian!!!! Holy crap!!!!!! That was easily one of the better strikes I've ever seen.

This is why I want this guy on the National Team. Is there a better American finisher than Eskandarian? Holy crap that was amazing. And he's been doing it all season long. Call him up!

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    And Taylor Twellman responds with a fabulous answer!!

Screw Champions League. Level of play in this match is ridiculus. MLS Soccer growing up as we watch

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am sick that the Revs lost but that was an amazing soccer game.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What a fantastic game all around. Esky and Twellman have certainly shown that they are worthy of a more extended look by El Bruce. They're in a numbers game right now.

I was also very impressed by both Clint Dempsey and Josh Gros in this game. Dempsey might get a cap soon, but I think Gros is a guy we should be keeping an eye on. What did you think of his performance?

Is Ben Olsen completely off the radar for the USMNT? He seems to be just an out-and-out workhourse.

5. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I think that Dempsey is the new generation of US defensive midfielders who are tall and strong so the opponents will bump off them. Compare the body type of Reyna, O'Brien, Zavagnin, Mastro, Mulrooney with Dempsey, Clark, or Szetela. For Gros, he at least reached a Christ Klein level. The reason Olsen is off the radar because he lost few steps after the injury. So he cannot break into the wing anymore. How good he can be in middle?

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait a minute ... I thought this forum was a circle-jerk for Eddie Johnson being the greatest American finisher ever, possibly the greatest finisher from any country? And now appoo comes in and tries to pull this!?! I'm shocked! I'm outraged! I'm shockaged!

please, it's not Esky's turn to be the greatest American finishers until after Gaven is the greatest American finisher.

:D :D

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    what exactly does Gros do except run really fast for really long periods of time and then hit aimless crosses across the box? He is everything that Convey-bashers think Convey is. Without the flashes of brilliance.

thats said, I like the kid's workrate and he's a natural winger and seems to be able to play on either side. Certainly his speed and willingness to cross a ball is something worth looking at (heck, replace Hejduk with him and I'd be happy). He's still a young player and has a quite a ways to develop. I'm no seer but my guess is that he'll hit the Steve Ralston range. which is certainly nothing to scoff at.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC fans, as a group, ridiculously overrate Gros. Right now, he's a nice MLS player, nothing more. I hope he'll improve to make it to the Nats level, but I don't see any reason why he would. I think he'll be Ralstonesque.

As a DC fan, that thrills me, that we'll have a solid, borderline MLS All Star on the wing for the next 6-10 years.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But then again, I think the same thing about Esky, but what do I know. I think both of them will be great here for the next 7 or 8 years, but I just don't think that their skills will translate to the next level. That being said, Esky has a ridiculous left foot!!!!!

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Esky's goal was jump-out-of-your-seat incredible, and done under pressure. I loved Twellman's too, but the defending was non-existant. New England's defense was superior tonight, but the DC scoring machine still managed to shine.

Esky, Twellman - definitely ready for a callup, soonest. I'm giving the edge to Esky. I'd love to see either of them score for their country.

Dempsey - great potential, killer attitude, callup sooner

Gros, Adu, Carroll - not ready for prime time. Adu looked nervous (i.e. human) tonight.

Noonan - I don't think so

Olsen - I love his game, but on the nats he can get Cobi's or Earnie's callup, but nobody else's.

11. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Another false messiah...he at one point "had the promise" to be the next great USMNT midfielder... :D ...yeah right! With that being said, congrats DC United and I'll be there rooting for you guys, as Gansler's side flat out piss me off!

12. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, brother.

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Part of that legitimately is that injuries derailed him. But part of it is that we do seem to worship guys who are moderately fast and extremely fit and tenacious competitors, even if they don't bring much else to the table. Gros strikes me as a poor man's version of what Olsen used to be.

Ironic thing about comparing his career path to Ralston's is that if you could combine their skills into one player, you'd have a damn nice wing. Each is able to do about half of what you'd ask an NT winger to do.

On Esky, I'm just not ready to make a judgement. We should give him a look in some friendlies to see how he does when you raise the bar.

On Dempsey, I think I do see some potential, especially when you consider we're pretty weak at the position.

14. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep given, although it seems like we've forgotten Brian Ching on this forum already? :eek:

Interesting that we're talking about Eskandarian in these overtones, when he hasn't even been capped yet at senior international level. I'll reserve judgement until then.

However, on a lighter note, it's a shame the match wasn't on TV over here. And it sounds like I missed a great game, with a lot of players doing themselves favors for setting themselves up for some future call-ups. Might someone be able to send me a copy of a DVD version of it? PM me if you can...

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Esky is worth a look.He has an unbelieveable shot, a real thunderblast.He also has pretty good skill and is quick, although not especially fast.

16. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I'd like to see Bruce give a look to Matt Reis. I've only seen him in a few games, but he's been a Monster in goal in those games. He can't be faulted on any of last night's goals. I'd certainly pick him ahead of Jonny Walker as the MLS-based keeper on the Nats, and see what he does at that level.

17. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    The only reason Olsen didn't live up to his promise was that he got injured, at the time when he had his stint with Notthingham, he was probably the best RM in the US, and if I'm mistaken he was performing very well for Nottingham before he got injured. His injury has obviously taken a couple steps from his game, maybe a bit too much for him do be a real factor on the international level, but before his injury debacle he WAS a great mid, one of the best options the US had.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Alecko earned his first cap in the wales match in 2003. Same match that Brian Ching got his first.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, and one that got lost in my foggy memory. :)

Granted, he's probably improved a bit since then, and is deserving of a longer look.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I wouldn't say he was a false messiah. When he first came into MLS he was the best young American midfielder I'd seen since Reyna. His best trait was always his work-rate and speed on the ball. The injury hurt him a bit, but I'd say the next generation of american midfielders outskilled him. They all have better technique and passing skills That's hard to say for me because I'm a DC fan. Now he's a really "tweener," caught between the last generation of midfielders (Reyna, Lewis, et.) and the new (LD, Beasley, Gaven, Martino, etc. etc.). His only chance is if he can fill the D-Mid role like KZav has, before Dempsey and Szetela take over. Sad to say, but it doesn't look good.

Matt Reis might be worth an invitation to a camp, I guess? By the way, any updates on Adin Brown? He looked to be a good keeper and the latest I heard he was considering retirement.

21. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    After watching Olsen this past season I was thinking he might be a decent D-mid. Not much speed left but the work rate is comparable to Hey-dudes with more skill. I doubt he will get any time with the nats but I would not be upset to see him there.

As for the others mentioned, I think Esky and Twellman will get a callup for a friendly, same with Dempsey. Hopefully in the first couple of friendly's next year. Reis has been impressive since taking over for Brown. I would definitley take him over Walker, but my first choice for MLS keepers is Cannon. Gros, while I fully believe he will be a starter for DC for the next 3-5 years, or more, may not see much time with the nats. He will be a great MLSer, I have no doubt. But he needs a bit more skill to get Arena to pay closer attention to him. My assesment of Carroll is the same as Gros. He will continue to play well for DC and could get some all star nods but I would be surprised to see him get too much time with the Nats. Maybe a few friendly's.

By the way, Twellmans goal was pretty much a duplicate of Ralstons goal from a few weeks ago against........um......I can't remember. Same type of play. Ball lofted in over the defense, TnT there to rise up and one-time over the keeper. Very nicely done. Twellman has been playing much better recently and deserves some more consideration for nats time.

22. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I think Esky is the kind of player who will only do most of that stuff in the MLS. Sure, he might have a spark every once and a while at the Int'l level, but we're fairly set with most of our strikers for the future and from what I can see, he won't be the kind of one who will get on the WC roster or in a qualifier...that's just me, though.

As for Clint, this guy shows a ton of potential and went a little under the radar at the combine from what I can see as he was the 8th pick, which isn't bad, but I think if they looked hard enough, they could've seen a number 2 or 3 pick in this kid. I think he can be a USMNT player in the future, but he won't be the kind of guy who goes overseas and becomes captain and such. It's really too early to tell, but even though he is ROY, it doesn't mean squat if he doesn't continue to improve...

23. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason Kreis has a wicked cannon.

24. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I never think Olsen is such skilled player even in his peak time. So you cannot compare him with a ball magician like Reyna, Ramos, etc. The new generations of American players are much, much skillful with their feet. The future d-mids should have the body type of Shalie Joseph (the skillset too).

25. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I agree. If Olsen had stayed healthy, he'd be the undisputed starter for the US at right mid right now.