DCU - Record Watch

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John_Harkes_6, Aug 27, 2002.

1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    OK - I am starting this thread and I will moderate it closely.

This will not evolve into a flame war

On that note, from here until the end of the season I will track DCU and a number of records that could be broken (and that is not a good thing)

Here goes:

Fewest Team Points:
    Luckily we avoided this one already, the record belongs to NY with 15 pts in 1999 in 32 games

Fewest goals:

Oh boy. The record is 1 goal per game held by the '99 Metros.

To avoid this DC needs 7 goals in five games to tie 8 in five to avoid it all together

Fewest goals by one member of the team:
    Held by a number of teams including '99 Metros, '99 KC, and '97 Revs with one player with 7 goals as the highest on the team - this works out to .21875 per game

To avoid this - oh boy does someone need to step up. 7 goals beats the record as this is 28 game season vs 32 for those previously mentioned.
    Q - Needs 4 goals (but he is hurt)
    Moreno - Needs 4 goals (but where has be been all season)
    Ali and Nellie - Needs 4 a piece (stranger things have happened)
    Q2- Needs 5 (best bet in my opinion)

Fewest points by a single member of the team:
    Record is 15 held by '99 Metros in 32 game season. This means a DC player needs 14

Q - 10 now
    Moreno - 8
    Etch - 8
    Nelsen - 8
    Convey - 6
    Q2 - 4

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Did you have to remind me of how much we suck?? Thanks!!!

We will break all of those records easily.

3. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Wow

A couple of notes:
    -Tampa actually I think has the fewest # of points, at 14 in 2001. HOWEVER, that was a strike-shortened season. They only played 27 games, as was said, the Metros played 32. In my opinion this season for Tampa doesn't really count as the fewest # of points because they had at least another game to play

-About the # of goals-realize that the Metros will have played 4 more games by the time the season ends. But still we do NOT want to stoop to the level of fewest # of goals per season

-Fewest points/goals by a member of a team is without question a very interesting stat, but not one that will make us out to be the worst team ever. After all, it's a team game. We get goals from our defense. Too bad Rimando can't go past his goal area and go forward to provide assists and goals ;)

Metros '99 will be the worst, I mean the worst, team in the history of MLS. I will not forget that year and I will fight to tell you that our team will not ever be equal or worse than that team. That was the stinkiest, most putrid, laughable, vomit-enducing team ever and I will always remember my deep-down laughter of that team in that year on Shootout

By the way, just goes to prove picking up Zambrano, from the Metros '99 team, makes no sense does it

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    BudWiser - all the numbers from my post above were adjusted to reflect the number of games played and the goals that DC must reach reflect that.

For example, the lowest goals by a single member of a team was 7 in 32 games - so therefore if a DC player gets 7 is 28 he is better and has not "tied" the record.

As for points - TB did have in fact have 14 pts in 27 for an average of .51825 per game. NY had 15 in 32 for an average of .46875. The only kicker is that '99 had the shoot-out so NY #'s are not apples to apples. But we are well past that record so who cares? ;)

Also, I wouldn't call last year a "strike shortened" season.

5. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm just going to stick my head in the oven...

6. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Ah screw it. Let's all go support SJ because Landon is so hot.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might as well move to thw swamps now and call ourselves the Metros at this rate. This offense is just plain toothless. When was the last time you heard a opposing coach say we have to mark so-and-so? He is the player on DC United that is just too dangerous. These numbers are just staggering.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Is there a chance Ruiz or Twellman could outscore us?

Sachin

9. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Frighteningly - yes.

Ruiz has 17 which is 4 less than our entire team

10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Traitor! I move that we all hang eltico (if that is your real name!) in effigy!

Don't you know that we all have to support the Rapids because of Garlick! ;)

79United, as for sticking your head in the oven, I've been trying that but for some reason as baked as I am, it is still a lousy season... :rolleyes:

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    You have to turn on the gas dumbass :eek:

12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Hmmm, that sounds dangerous....

Maybe that'll get the Metro game out of my head...

13. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Want to see something else "frightening"?

Mamadou Diallo-11 goals in 892 minutes
    DC United-21 goals in 2132 minutes

Comes out to:
    Diallo: goal every 81.1 minutes
    DC United: goal every 101.5 minutes

In other words, "Big Mama" by himself is much better at scoring goals than our offense, midfield, and defense COMBINED

14. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Update time:

Goals per game - 4 goals vs. SJ helped a lot

In four games we need three goals to tie, four to avoid it all together

Fewest Goals by member of team -

Nellie struck and now leads the team, he needs three more

Fewest Points by member of team -

Nellie needs three points in four games
    Moreno - 4
    Etch - 5
    Convey, Villegas - 6

15. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    DC United should easily avoid the worst one.

Hopefully DC United can continue at the new pace for the next four games! ;)

16. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another category

If DC United continues its ressurection, we will make the playoffs with a sub-.500 record, though not by much (11-12-5 38 pts is best possible for DC).

We probably wouldn't be the worst, but I'm curious, what is the worst record for an MLS playoff team?

17. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Re: Another category

It would appear to be Miami in 1999 who made the play-offs despite only having 29 pts in 32 games. Equivalent to slightly above 25 pts over a 28 game season

18. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Bump

Well, with the two goals this weekend the worst we can do is tie for the fewest goals in a year. All we need is one goal against Dallas to avoid that record altogther.

Fewest goals by leader of team - this one looks pretty inevitable that we will break it. Unless Bobby or Ali gets a hat trick on Thursday.

Fewest point by leader of team - We may be able to escape this one. Marco needs one point (but he is out for Thurs right?) or Bobby needs three.