DCU / Playoff Party Reflections

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by RFK 315, Oct 21, 2004.

1. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wanted to make my measly 100th post something special, so here goes :
    I attended the Blackout party at La Tasca tonight with my wife and 14 mo. old daughter, and we all had a fantastic time. The food and atmosphere was great, seemed like a good fan turnout, and it was fantastic that Coach Nowak, Benny, Dema, Nellie and Nick all came out. It really was a special event and got me keyed up for playoffs even more than I already was.
    But after leaving kinda early to put the little one to sleep, I got to thinking-
    we DCU fans are pretty lucky- not only do we get to enjoy the thrill of following the most exciting 90 minutes of sport in town, but we have a team and organization that actually gives a damn about us fans. None of the so-called 'big-time' sports in town would have an event like that, and certainly none of the Name players could be bothered to attend. I'm grateful that DCU needs our support, and I'm glad to give it to them.
    I also think its awesome that the players recognize the dedication of the hardcore supporters and have given us their props. Big shout-outs to the Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles, and the others for bringing it for real to all the games at home and many on the road, too ! I have been supporting DCU from Day One, but only joined the Barra last season, and I have a newfound respect for the soccer fans in this city. I look forward to continuing to support the team with my dollars and time, but most importantly, my heart and lungs !

UNITED FOREVER,

Andy

2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    But the real question is, did you score me some Blackout Sangria? :D

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The event was great except for those drunken louts singing at random moments...

:rolleyes:

4. holmesrun

holmesrun New Member

Jul 17, 2002
    JAIMETOWN USA
    I’m bummed I missed it!:( I had kid duty so my wife could attend a PTA meeting tonight. I gotta pay my dues to be on the bus Saturday.:D

Andy you’ve captured my sentiments about the Barra and the team exactly. I’ve had ½ season tickets since ’96 and then joined the Barra last year. This season I had to get the full season package. I am blessed with a mostly understanding wife. Being at the tailgate feels like a mix between a family reunion, a frat party and that scene from the institution in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

The players in this league definitely seem appreciate both that they get to make a living doing what they do (well some of them at least) and the support of the fans that care so much.

At “meet the team day” I mentioned to Esky how great I thought it was that he was having such success this year as it seemed he was a bit unlucky last year considering how hard he worked. I was kind of shocked at how genuinely appreciative he seemed of the comments. I must have been the 1000th dope he had to talk to that day with about 1500 after me.

We are lucky to have such a great team and truly blessed to have such a great family around us in the stands.

5. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    If I left when I was done doing stuff at work I'd get there 8:30, damn players, why do they have kiddie bed time? :D

6. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    It was a great party and a lot of fun. Props to Dema, Ben, Ryan, Nick and Coach Nowak for coming out. Oh and Dema's dad too...

They showed our little party on ABC news tonight and will show something on Fox too since they were there.

Good good times.

Nowak outlasted the players. I got to speak to him for the first time. Really nice guy. He signed the ball Susan won spinning the wheel thing. Speaking of, I spun the wheel twice and both times landed on Dema... and I didn't even cheat (Dema was not the prize). :D

7. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody record the report they had on Fox?!?!?! I had to go to bed when I got home from the event and didn't get to see it :(

The party was great, and yes, DCU is doing a great job on their community/fan relations. Even though I got their after the players left it was still a lot of fun. Props to United, and to us Loco Fans that gave the cameras a little taste of what its like to be in the Nest and Barra during a match.

On a side note, RFK 315 said no other team in DC would do something like that. Well correction, Washington Caps did put on one hell of a spread for the fans during the NHL Draft in Raleigh. Lots of free food and booze, all the players that were drafted were there, even some of the retired Caps players. Yes, there are some teams in professional sports that give a rats arse about the fans, and not just their profit margin.

8. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    They didn't show it on Fox at all last night. :mad:

But ABC did... it was really short the part of us at the party, I actually only saw myself and you (BeltwayRob) then it cut to the teams practice today (saw Dema and Brian Carroll for a hot second) then it cut to an interview with Esky.

9. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize I forgot to say Thank You to everyone involved in putting last night's party on - great job !

And one other observation about the players- its not like they were just fulfilling an obligation- they really seemed to be glad to be there and to connect with the fans. I chatted with a few of them and they were all excited about the playoffs, and the fact that a lot of fans were making the trip to the swamp. (Unfortunately, I can't make the trip :( )
    I brought my daughter over to meet them and have the players sign a picture of Talon holding her, and they were really sweet to her - Ryan drew a heart above his autograph, Ben drew a goofy smiley face, and Dema- the most feared and hated (by fans who wish he was on their team) player in the league- was a total softie and wanted to hold her and made funny faces.
    I just hope I didn't get Nicky in any trouble because Jacqui got that look in her eyes...

I hope the team and fans can channel all this goodwill into a severe stomping of the Scum - I'll see everyone at the home match on the 30th !!

10. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    The blackout Sangria and the blackout Paella: BRILLIANT!!!!!