DCU newbie needs guidance

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BeachBum, Jul 9, 2005.

1. BeachBum

BeachBum New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Hi y'all!

It looks like I'll get to go to my first-ever DCU game next week against San Jose. (I live in Florida and I'll be in the District for a conference) As a complete newbie to MLS and DCU, I seek any and all advice - where to sit, where not to sit, what to do, what not to eat, etc. Thanks in advance for all your helpful comments.

- Bum

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to associate with the loudest fans in MLS sit on the Barra Brava/Screaming Eagles side (sections ending in the 20's and 30's). If you want things a little calmer try the opposite side (sections ending from about 03 to 17.) Section 204-212 are great: you can see and hear the "noisy side," but also see what's happening on the players' benches; who's warming up, etc.

3. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    contact the Eagles or Barra and buy a ticket. Stand and sing for two hours and have a great evening

4. BeachBum

BeachBum New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    OK, I'm convinced - I'll sit with a fan club. Even if it means I'll have more trouble following the game it looks like great fun.

So, what is the best group? La Norte, Screaming Eagles, or Barra Brava?

(this is NOT a troll because I am really going to the game)

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, now you've asked for it!

6. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Well sir, though I've my own agenda, you should check out the Barra Brava.

Our website (http://www.barra-brava.com) has lots of pictures and info about our tailgates. For tickets either email the link on the page, or just get them walk up (cash only for walk up).

Free keg just for showing up. :D

7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't eat anything inside the stadium. If you hit the tailgate first, you shouldn't be too hungry anyway,

8. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Asking this on BS is like walking into a hornet's nest. Like spider, I have an agenda (I'm on the SE board), but here are my thoughts and suggestion.

The SEs and Barra are right next to one another in the stadium. The SE's core section (134) is "traditionally seated", in the sense that everyone stands in front of their ticketed seats, although no one has a problem with a little seat jumping among friends. The Barra's core section (135) is completely general admission, with flags and standing on seats throughout (and, if it's like yesterday, smoke bombs). Both sections basically require chanting and singing throughout the game - the Barra also has a number of drummers to the right of 135 (right next to 134) to keep the beat for the chants for both sections.

So it depends on what you want - do you want to see the whole game, do you want to be in the thick of the atmosphere, or a little of both?

I'd suggest doing what a lot of regulars do: buy in the SE section and float between the two sections during the game. That way, you'd have a place available for you in 134 with a clear sightline of the game, and you would still be free to go over to 135 as you'd like.

Both clubs also have two "Nest lite" sections away from the hardcore - the SEs right at midfield (132-33), the Barra toward the corner (136-37). I wouldn't be caught dead in either unless I was bringing a child or my parents to the game, but some people seem to prefer those quieter, non-standing sections. Go figure :)

A note: both the SE and Barra have their own ticket booth, and when you order a single game ticket you have to pick it up there before the game. Nicole, the SE ticket mistress, is at the booth at least 90 minutes before every game and will be there until right before kickoff (and God bless her for it, it's not a job everyone wants or does well). So you can pick up your ticket early and then come over and check out both groups' tailgates.

Send an e-mail to Nicole at tickets@screaming-eagles.com, and she can reserve you your spot in 134.

9. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Of course, with the SE being downwind from the Barra, you guys got most of the smoke. :eek:

10. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    And here I thought that was just from the burrito you ate before the game :D

11. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    gocaps got sound advise.

12. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what other suggestions you receive, you should follow this one.

However, you should definitely try a Foggy Bottom. But that's beer, so it does not fall under the "don't eat anything" rule. Unless you like gray hotdogs that cost $5.00, in which case you should chow down! :D

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Other suggestion - don't drive. I would suggest that you take the Metro (Orange Line - toward New Carrollton or Blue Line - toward Addison Road).

Friday night traffic can be bad. Let alone, DC streets can be confusing (even for some folks who have lived here their whole life!).

14. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the don't drive. The game that I went to, it took an hour to leave the parking lot.

Having been to only one game and having sat in the SE side. I don't think you will miss a thing sitting in the gang. If you didn't see it, someone else did and will tell you.

Buy the tickets before the game before the game with the SE/BB's. You can order at the web site. You will pick them up at a separate window near parking section 8. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) This will save you waiting at the walk-up windows.

Print out a list of the songs at the websites so you can actually sing along (rather than mumble the words).

You are in for an unforgettable experience.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that--I've been in this area for three years, and I can find my way around NoVa and PG County like the back of my hand--but I still need a map in DC.

16. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's just a function of what style of layout you're used to. Mary can find her way around DC effortlessly, but NoVa drives her nuts.

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Very good call here, although you'll still have to wait to pick up your ticket if there's a line at the booth. Like I said, Nicole is always there early and there's never a line before 6:30 or so, so if you order through the SEs you can avoid the lines by being there early.

Also a good call, although the SEs do distribute some song sheets for newbies at tailgates.

18. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game I went to was against Pumas when there was a phenomenal number of Mexican fans who bought their tickets at the regular windows. The line for them was likely twenty deep, while I waited behind one person to get mine.

19. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    All newbies receive a complimentary bottle of Chinese paint thinner to drink at the pre-game tailgate.

:D

20. BeachBum

BeachBum New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    On second thought, what is happening in DC besides soccer on Friday? Is the Ballet in town?

:p

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Hah, you want to see a pirouette watch the Quakes' own Sugar Plum Fairy of a keeper in the net against our mighty attack.

er, wait...

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I know it's been said before, but GoCaps has the best Avatar on BigSoccer.

I'm a huge US soccer and DC fan that happens to live in Syracuse. I've never been down to a game, and hope to at some point this year. We'll see. I've already paid to go to Chicago to see the England vs. USA game, and will be going to Boston this weekend for the Gold Cup Quarters. We'll see how the monetary situation works out.

23. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the italian sausage sandwich and the chorizo sandwich (which you can also find at Nats games) are pretty good. They'll never replace the bbq sandwich you used to be able to get at the corner stand on the mezzanine above the main gate, but they're more than adequate.

As for beer, the Red Hook ESB and IPA (available just down the concourse from the Foggy Bottom stand) are the best in-stadium libations , though FB isn't bad.

perc