DCU needs this guy...[Gold Cup R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by uniteo, Jul 11, 2005.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, maybe 'need' isn't the right word, but #10 for Honduras, Wilmer Velasquez, had two very nice finishes last night against Colombia.

And it's all about finishing isn't it? looks like he's with Olimpia, 32 years old? Sure didn't look 32. I believe DCU or the league has inquired about him in the past...

Discuss

2. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we've brought in a lot of older guys recently to fill some gaps, but we need someone LONG TERM who is going to stick with the team for just more than 1 or 2 seasons. Plus once we are back to full strength we're not going to need to worry about our attack much longer. I'm more concerned about our weak defense.

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) generally I agree with you about long-term investments, but a scorer is a scorer

B) We were full strength and not scoring

4. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is he actually a #10, i.e. midfielder? or a striker who happens to wear #10 (which would be odd)?

if hes a midfielder, then no thanks as we have a logjam there barring significant injury.

if hes a striker, then i wouldnt mind a look, but i would imagine he'd be pricey playing for olympia and a national teamer...

5. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 New Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't think that getting another attacking midfielder (pushing Freddy back on the depth chart) would be a good idea? ;)

In all honesty, it's good to keep eyes on players, but we haven't really had a full complement of players yet. Guppy is getting healthy, hopefully Jamie's only got a minor knock, and Ben and Tino should return in a couple of weeks. I'd like to see what that team can (or can't) accomplish before taking flyers on middle aged foreigners.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    listed as a forward on the Olimpia roster and played way up high last night

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    If Eski doesn't get better sooner, then DC is facing a problem. We're a team that scores by committee, and our forwards have been up and down all season. We'd be crazy to pass on any forward that could help us improve, especially one that is doing it consistently on the international level.

8. dale_wilster

dale_wilster Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Cochabamba, Bolivia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Tino is going to explode after returning. He seemed to play with a lot more confidence against Cuba. I think this will do wonders for his confidence.

9. Hunter R

Hunter R New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Me, Myself and I
    Club:
    DC United
    Not to down the Cuban squad, but most any DCU player would have that same feeling when facing Fidel's Boys.

I think the farther we go in the Gold Cup and the more Tino plays (well) the more his confidence will grow (the matches against Costa Rica and into the second round are better challenges for his skill).

10. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

I actually really like Santino but he is a creative forward (perhaps the long term answer after MORENO is gone...) NOT a finsher.

With no Eski (like last year) this team is in REAL trouble.

It is a simple enough game... But you need SOMEONE to consistently score a fvcking goal.

Right now I think this team needs outside help in this department.

We have at least THREE excellent creative players (Moreno, Gomez, and Adu... Perhaps even 4 if Tino is on) but not one real threat (ala Lassiter, Ruiz, etc) to finish their work.

11. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    I haven't seen his Gold Cup play, but Jamaica's Luton Shelton is someone I'd like us to consider. You may remember him from the Harbor View Concacaf Champions Cup series.

He scored one of the Reggae Boyz goalz against Guatemala and I would think he'd be affordable.