DCU @ FC Grimace

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Murrdcu, Mar 28, 2019.

?

What will be the outcome of the game?

Poll closed Apr 2, 2019.
  1. Purple bastards win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Purple bastards lose

19 vote(s)
    82.6%
  3. Alexi Lalas praises hard earned point via acoustic guitar performance

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That foul on Rooney was a foul. The Orlando homers don't know a thing about why fouls exist. They aren't about contact. They're about gaining an unfair advantage. Dwyer's dirty challenge gained an unfair advantage. Rooney dodging having his knee broken caused the ball to roll out of bounds and change possession.

Even Alexi Lalas, a noted defender apologist due him being a career center back, acknowledged that there should have been a foul and that Dwyer was taking a risk of anything between a foul and a red card for such a dirty challenge.

It should have also been a yellow. Just because the victim of a clumsy and dirty foul dodged the dirty challenge doesn't mean that it wasn't a dirty challenge to begin with. If Dwyer had made full contact with Rooney, it would have been a red card and Rooney would be going to the hospital, possibly for a career-ending injury. Dwyer should get a multiple game suspension for going in on his back with his the bottom of his shoes perpendicular to the ground and his studs at knee level. Probably won't happen but it was an incredibly dirty challenge.

Orlando reminded me of the Revs last year. They have some talent but are trying to make up the holes with physicality. They'll be fighting for that last playoff spot. DCU may host them in round 1 of the playoffs. They got very physical in the second half because they were able to match the Red Bulls' physicality last week and got three points out of it. They figured they'd try it again.

MLS still has a problem with referees not tamping down on physical play. The Orlando center backs should have been on yellows for hugging Rooney. That's a tactical foul designed to prevent a skilled opponent from playing the ball.

Many of the referees have decent foul recognition skills. They lack being able to understand the broader game-long context of those fouls. The problem is that there isn't really a way to train a referee on that aspect of the game before they hit MLS. The amateur ranks and even the USL Championship almost never have fouls for a larger tactical purpose. You'll get tactical fouls, but they're related to a specific play, not a whole-game 90 minute strategy.

majspike, Eastern Bear, Funkfoot and 4 others repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    As I said about Tom Wilson earlier, what this DCU teams needs is a Geoff Aunger/Ivan McKinley ankle breaker on the bench just to keep the other team a bit honest. As for the team looking tired, I'm not sure it was that so much as having the week off put everyone a bit out of rhythm. Remember, these guys are still getting match fit, and having a bye in the fourth week of an 8 month long season doesn't help game fitness.

Boloni86, Eastern Bear and Winoman repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, Arriola did play 143 minutes with the USMNT during the international break, so Olsen was managing his minutes. The early Mora sub didn't do Olsen any favors in what he was able to do with any premade substitution plan, either.

Also, who is Martinez?

4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Titi got ploughed under, was the guy watching the ball, or what?

5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine not being able to eat solid food puts a dent in your preparedness.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear what you're saying; but it's not like they spend that bye week with their feet up on the living room table eating directly from tubs of Ben & Jerry's. They're still practicing every day, aren't they? And even when not, they have their own personal fitness routines, right? Or am I wrong about all that?

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You're right, but practice and fitness routines aren't the same as actually playing in competition against someone trying to beat you. Close, but not the same. You could see it in the play Sunday. The passes were just a bit off, the players thinking a bit rather than reacting. Signs of a team coming off a bye. Of course with 13 games in 8 weeks coming up, inactivity won't be a problem. My big concern in that stretch particularly are McCann and Brillant. There really is no one MLS ready behind either of them. Jalen Robinson is in his 6th year and remains, at best, a bench player. There literally is no one behind McCann or Jara right now. I'm sure Ward will be called up, but I'm not sure he's ready for prime time. Actually, I would consider Durkin ahead of Robinson for CB time -- he's played there before and he clearly has a better soccer sense than Robinson (who really shit the bed Sunday with his backwards headers that gifted Orlando two corners).

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola can play RB.
    I predict we see him there at some point overt this stretch.
    McCann looked adequate. Possibly more of his opponent isn't particularly fast.

9. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Hadn't thought about that. Put in Stieber for Arriola and move Arriola to RB.

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just how does that help, since Mora played left back, unless you assume that you could move Jara to left back and he would do better than McCann.

JayRockers! repped this.
  11. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Did you go to Catholic school too?

Winoman repped this.
  12. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Our left or right, or maybe both.

13. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was me in response to backups for Jara. It doesn't solve the backup for mccann question at all.
    I mean, maybe Jara could fill in at lb, who knows. That want the intent of my post though.

14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the play again, and in slow motion, it looks like Rodriguez takes a step towards the ball, and winds up in the same path as the onrushing Ruan. That *may* be why that collision was never called, or sent down for further review by the VAR.

15. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    1. Marking in the back was terrible and we finally got punished
    2. Thought Mora’s slide tackle looked dangerous and card worthy before he got injured.
    3. Dwyer took a swipe at Rooney. Should have been a yellow, not just a free kick
    4. Not sure who I hate more, Orlando’s players or fans.

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I was really impressed with Titi’s defense and would not have a problem with him at left back and Stieber/Segura in front of him for spots. Especially when the opposition has a speedy right winger. Use McCann if there isn’t good/speedy wide play.

Winoman repped this.
  17. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Now you're just spittin in the wind. He's a box to box player. Makes defensive plays atop our own box - yes. Slotting him at RB - no idea. If Jara can play RB and Arriola at LB, Stieber or Segura at LM, we'd have little to no drop off in the style of play, players know each other, least possible disruption. Hopefully COA returns to form soon. Sorry to hear that Fisher's injury has complications.

18. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I haven't been able to figure Titi out yet. I can tell he's a good player. But I'm not sure what he does really well. I haven't seen him as an exceptional passer or dribbler. He doesn't seem to be a guy who's going to be a consistent goal scorer. He's not really a set-up man like Acosta. He's tenacious. I like that. He seems to have speed. And he seems to have a knack for being in the right spot at the right time (call it soccer IQ or whatever). I don't dislike him at all, but we haven't had a game yet where I've been blown away (other than one shot, of course). And the team rumblings that he could be the replacement should Acosta leave seem like fantasyland at the moment. Again, not saying I dislike him. Just not sure I understand exactly what he brings to the table yet other than being a pretty good all-around player.

dcu n bntwn repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    #144 Eastern Bear, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    I’ve watched Marcelo Bielsa at Leeds play a true winger with the jersey #10 at left back this season with great success. The most important part of that position is hustle and speed. McCann has no speed. Putting Rodriguez there may seem odd but Arriola has proven it works. I believe you want your best 11 on the field.

20. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is very young. I think of him like a stem cell. Or an albino broccoli stalk. Can somebody please talk to him about the hair?

ImNumberTen and Heist repped this.
  21. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not gonna.

[​IMG]

GumbyG, DC Braveheart, PACfutbol and 4 others repped this.