DCU Fans abroad....

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by Andi the Hobbit, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last summer, I was not overseas, but might as well have been, soccer-wise. I was in Memphis and a fellow with an English-sounding accent, approached me and said he recognized my DC United jersey.

I asked him if he followed MLS and he said not very much, and that he was a Watford fan. I told him that I followed Watford some-what (due to Jay Demerit being a YA), and I told him that he should watch some MLS matches, especially DC United.

Before we parted company, I toasted him with "Up the Hornets", and he bought me another beer!

2. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on going to el classico here in La Paz on Wednesday - Bolivar v Strongest in the Copa AeroSur final wearing my United sweatshirt. No idea who I will support though....

3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    BOLIVAR! We got the money now, and are by far the team with the most titles under our belt. :) screw what chico says, this week we skin this CAT!

O while your there, buy yourself one of our jerseys. They are def. the hotness in comparison to the tacky Yellow and Gold. YUCK :p

[​IMG]

Probably converted to US dollars like 20ish bucks.

4. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So yeah, soy hincha de Bolivar. Had a GREAT time at an amazing stadium with tremendous atmosphere, and after living in Argentina, was shocked to see Strongest fans sitting next to Bolivar fans and leaving at the same time. Bolivar played a much more attractive style, showed patience on the ball, and demonstrated good skill. One serious problem though, their defense leaves a lot to be desired. Moments of good organization were destroyed by leaving key attacking players open in dangerous positions and exposing themselves to needless risk.

But the craziest part is that during the game, we were talking about how great this player for Bolivar was, he creates one goal, then scores another. Turns out he is Argentine. We walk back in the rain talking about how great the game is, and get back to the hotel, go to the bar for dinner, and 10 minutes later the same Argentine playmaker comes in with his family, notices that I recognized him and we exchanged salutations, and he sits down at the table next to us while we all watch Independiente play San Lorenzo. Nice guy, too.

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nice. What was his name? Was it Silvio Carrario? He's 36 and used to play for boca, still has something left in the tank, and as i read boliviar forums, they say my little man Daner Pachi, Abdon Reyes, and Carrario were the top guys during el classico. Its good to hear we are playing good football, but as always as you stated we have had problems with our defnse, always.

6. DCUtd

DCUtd Member

Oct 26, 1999
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was Carrario - I was with a Boca fan, so he was pretty stoked. Definitely has gas left in the tank. A few times, he ran back and covered defensively faster than the defense did, and on the attack side was key. But he didn't go the full 90. After he scored the goal, it looked like he was limping and he didn't run for a while. I heard he arrived recently, so he may have been gassed from the altitude.

The other names I recognize but am not sure which is which. #9 was really good, too.....

7. blurtz23

blurtz23 Member

Nov 2, 2005
    S. Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll be in Ireland next month, and i'm looking forward to scarfing a few statues while i'm there. keep an eye out for that thread.....

;)

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmm... That probably was Castillo(if he was darker) or Botero. Most likely botero though im thinking...

9. futbolpaul

futbolpaul New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Lakewood, OH
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey - are there any other DC United Fans in Costa Rica???
    I'm a former multi-season ticket holder who moved here about a year ago. Looking for someone to watch future matches with ...
    I live in La Garita - a 'burb of Alajuela.
    Give a shout out!!!!
    -Futbolpaul
    futbolpaul@gmail.com

10. futbolpaul

futbolpaul New Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Lakewood, OH
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang - forgot to mention that Eliseo Quintanilla is the main scorer for my local Alajuela 'La Liga" team - they also used to have Roy Lassiter on it before he joined the Tampa Bay Mutiny.
    FYI- FutbolPaul