Review: DCU - Club tactics and Analysis - 2021

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Apr 16, 2021.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to break out a thread to discuss news, items, and opinions on the team's tactics and culture during this season. I try to leave the on-field stuff out of the FO discussion and our game-day threads aren't too robust.

Let's try it out and remember that opinions are like assholes...

Here is an article on Losada's changes leading up to the first match:
    https://theathletic.com/2524797/2021/04/16/dc-united-hernan-losada/

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meaning that I am one........................:D

3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some highlights:

About midway through his introductory PowerPoint presentation, the entire room was faced with some cold, hard data: a slide that listed off the body fat percentage and weight of every player in attendance.

It was an uncomfortable moment for some. The data, which showed some players had a body fat percentage in the 20’s (studies typically put the average professional player around 12%, +/- 3%), had come as a shock to Losada. To play in his system — a high-pressing, forward-thinking setup that features no shortage of physical or mental exertion — Losada said players would have to be in better shape. Much better shape.

The coach says he’s found DC’s ownership to be eager to accommodate those suggestions; this preseason, for example, the club sprung for more modern fitness testing for its players, measuring body fat using DEXA (dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry) technology instead of using a more traditional, less expensive (and accurate) means of doing so.

Players were also subjected to VO2 max testing — testing which measures a player’s maximum oxygen usage during intense physical exertion — which Gressel says was also a new approach, one not present even at high-spending Atlanta United, his former club.

Alejandro 10, dadman, JRHokie and 2 others repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda surprised VO2 Max testing wasn't already a part of the routine.

sitruc repped this.
  5. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an ostomite, so I get two!

Winoman repped this.
  6. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    #6 Section 107, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    According to tweet by Goff - Losada has had the field shortened by 3 yards. will be noticeably visible tomorrow. perhaps in apparent in response to the physical fitness concerns? :)

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once they shorten it can they change it during the season or is it set? It is sad to hear but I guess it is progress for someone giving a shit.

8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three yards isn't going to make that much of a difference.

9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Pablo's piece was refreshing. While I don't believe Ben was "mailing it in" for the past few years, it's clear his approach was to relaxed to motivate a group of 20 somethings to push to get better. Some players likely will hate Losada and will get moved, which is how it should be. This franchise has been coasting organizationally for a decade. Someone up there finally realized things had to change. Someone commented in Pablo's piece that Friedel's "European" methods didn't work in NE. Well, if Losada's training methods include encouraging fans to stalk players and harass them for poor performance, I'll reconsider, but right now I'm onboard.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proof is in the pudding. If the players feel more fit and perform better it is likely that injuries will decrease, recovery time will improve, and the play on the field will improve. It isn't as if DC is a team with recent success and superstar talent - at this point no player can say what they've done has worked. Perhaps the younger players who have European aspirations will step up to the challenge. Gressel seems to have the right mentality, someone on the field is going to need to bring everyone else in line.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think it will be interesting to see if Losada can get more out of Gressel and Flores, play Russ in the right position, and find a legit goal scorer

bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Sounds easy.

dadman and song219 repped this.
  13. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Yes. When Yallop took over mid season at the Galaxy he promptly changed the dimensions (for both LA and Chivas) and the league said boo.

Official DC United @ Chivas USA PRE Match & PBP/Live Thread [R]

Bolstering my recollection, it could be done with 48hrs notice and the Yallop situation was immediate and affected a game like a day after he was hired. Supposedly LA was fined. Don’t know the current regs.

Thx,

Jay!

14. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Never been a better time to have 5 subs.

Losada reminds me of the alter ego when George Costanza decided to go against every instinct and do the opposite. Yes, please do the opposite of everything Olsen did. We've already seen player comments on how they finally have an identity. I think they will also love having a coach that has faith in them to go at it and not play scared to lose like Ben did.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Ben ever played scared. I think we had a low ceiling on both tactics and personnel and he really couldn't make it exceed the sum of its parts.

Conservative by default.

bigredfutbol, Doogh, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  16. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Refreshing to see the team give up an early goal and not play to protect the deficit.

benni..., Alejandro 10, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Ben relied on leadership from the field. But if the leaders pout or get Red Cards or quit and go home, then the play goes to crap.

Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this note, I was disappointed not to see Yow or Nyeman, short-handed and exhausted as we were.

marks7mb, Winoman and Bluesfan repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We saw new tactics. That was refreshing. It has been a while since anything approaching excitement was on the field and even longer as a byproduct of a new approach to play. Admittedly Lucharoo was exciting but it was individual skill necessary to overcome the morass of the team. NYCFC is a fast, ground based team. Tight passing, close control. The tactics were perfect to disrupt that game and forced them to kick and run in the second half. Hines-Ike was always in the right spot.

I enjoyed that thoroughly and as fitness increases this team will be difficult to play against.

bigredfutbol, ejs1111, benni... and 3 others repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the team Losada started was not the optimal squad, but still managed to come up with an entertaining win..

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    DC United deserves credit for the win but I've seen NYC FC or whatever they call themselves play better.

Winoman repped this.
  22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beginning to sense that the personnel will be interchangeable when the system is implemented. That will be something to look forward to. It will be like LAFC this weekend without Rossi and Vela - the players are well coached and know their role no matter who is around them.

dcu n bntwn, sitruc and Bluesfan repped this.
  23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Right now the starting wingbacks are Gressel and Mora. Gressel, based on salary, "should" be a starter. I like Mora alot, but on a very good team he's a depth wingback. Arriola will be back next month, Najar is being brought along slowly. By June, Losada should be able to chose 2 from among Gressel, Arriola, Najar and Mora. Given the number of 3 games in 8 day matchups, that versatility and depth will be invaluable.

My biggest concern is the back 3. BHI looks solid. Brillant, despite the ragging some give him, is a solid pro -- but you can't play him every game or he will break down. Alfaro is depth, DeShields is hurt and hopefully Pines just have a slight knock. If Birnbaum contributes anything this year after two ankle surgeries, I will be pleasantly surprised.

We can decide if we should panic about the forwards once Kamara is healthy, Reyna is healthy and Robertha actually gets some practice time in the new system. Right now, that spot gets a pass.

bigredfutbol, benni... and Winoman repped this.
  24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gressel finally looked to be the wide player we thought he would be when we brought him in.

benni..., Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol, Bluesfan, John L and 3 others repped this.