DCU best XI- three teams

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ursula, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Okay. I'm gonna lay out three teams: best XI, second team, third team. I'm split between a 352 and a 442, but I'm going with the 352:

best XI

----------------Garlick

--Pope---------Nelsen--------Agoos

----------------Carroll

Sanneh--------Olsen----------Harkes

------------Etcheverry

-------Moreno---------Lassiter

Second team, all-time

----------------Rimando

--Reyes------Llamosa------Namoff

---------------Williams

Stewart-----Kovalenko-----Convey

---------------Gomez

-----Eskandarian------Diaz Arce

Third team

---------------Simpson

---Sonora-------Petke-----McKinley

--------------Aunger

Gros---------Marsch-----Maessner

-----------------Adu

----Conteh---------Stoichkov

There you go. Here's some of my, err, "thoughts".

1) Carroll over Williams- This is the Carroll after he sat on the bench, late in the season. He was just everywhere he needed to be. really though this is a toss up- for the moment. I expect Brian to easily claim the "best d-mid" spot by next year.

2) McKinley at all- He'd be better in a 442 but he's included over the likes of Gori or Prideaux or whatever because of his distribution. He and Convey really clicked.

3) Stoichkov at all- He was the real leader of last year's team, for better or worse, and he won us a couple of games. I was tempted to place him above RDA.

4) Olsen- could have been either as a winger or central mid. Placing him in the middle allows me to put Sanneh in the first team.

5) Most likely to get placed on a team next year- Quaranta. Just don't know where. Probably in place of Maessner. Q1, Talley, Prideaux, and Kamler were the best players left off the three teams. Speaking of which...

6) Why Maessner and not Kamler? Early in '99 Kamler was given the left wing spot by Rongen. He failed (along with Jason Moore and Antonio Otero) and Rongen then traded Kamler for maessner. The offense, which before was listing heavily towards the right and Olsen, got even again and took off. This was s crucial move towards getting MLS Cup 99. Most of Kamler's best years were in NE.

7)Gros Even with his defensive lapses, he played better than Kamler.

Convey As much as I love him, he just didn't do enough to warrant the best XI over Harkes or Sanneh. It should have happened, but it didn't.

2. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    OK, I love ya man, but Jesse Marsch should NOT be on any DCU all-time teams. The guy played in like 5 games in 2 years and then got shipped off to Chi-town to become a good player. Kris Kelderman had more impact on United with his unstoppable shootout move than Marsch had in any playing time he got.

Oh yeah, no Vaud? McKinley has no business on the team...I'd rather have Vaud on his off-wing than McKinley on the field.

And if I want to nit-pick, Rammel and Wegerle should be on there over Conteh and Stoichkov (although you are correct that Stoichkov was the leader of last year's team, I'm not sure that's a strike in his favor).

3. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Make fun of him all you want - he wasn't a good field player. But he was the best shootout player in MLS history - and back in the day, that really did mean something.

4. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Your third team selection of Abdul Thompson Conteh is questionable. I would have gone with (I forget his name) the white guy who played forward in 96 and 97 (I think). He did not have any skill, but he hustled his ever-loving arse off. Can someone help me with the name?

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah- with Marsch I know he was buried in the depth chart, but Kelder..., Keld... ..I can't even write his name 'cause he was so awful. Medved or Lisi or Ara... anyone but Kelderma....

6. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    You mean Rammel? Yeah I thought of him, but he DID have better service (for a healthy Etcheverry) than Conteh did, even in the bad early days. That's why ATC sticks.

Vaudreuil over Mckinley? Also a possibility, but I just like Ivan the Terrible's distribution. Plus he was flat out scary-intimidating. Make The Demanator look like a cupcake.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Gori makes the second team due to his big brass balls alone.

8. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Yep, that's him, thanks. He surely was better than ATC.

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well he definitely was better at garbage goals, but I'll take ATC's speed and size.

10. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    This team is frightening:

------------------Presthus

------------Pope-----------Llamosa
    Reyes-----------------------------------Goose

-------------------Nelson
    (young)Olsen----------------------------Harkes(c)
    ------------------Etcheverry

----------Diaz Arce---------Moreno

Since, We've had an embarrassment of riches at CB and have had just ordinary players at DM, I figured I'd move Nelson up to DM, where he played for awhile, I think under Rongen.

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Great threads (and the accompanying threads).

Maybe instead of three teams, you could do two teams each for the 3-5-2 and the 4-4-2.

The following would be mine:

best XI (3-5-2)

-------------Rimando

Llamosa------Pope-------Agoos

----------------Williams

Sanneh------Olsen--------Harkes

------------Etcheverry

Second team, (3-5-2)

----------------Garlick

Reyes------Nelsen------Gori

---------------Carroll

Stewart-----Kovalenko-----Convey

---------------Gomez

----Eskandarian------Diaz Arce

best XI (4-4-2)

---------------Rimando

Llamosa-------Pope---------Nelsen--------Agoos

Sanneh-----Olsen-------Etcheverry-------Harkes

Second team, all-time

----------------Garlick

Reyes------Petke------Namoff------Gori

Stewart-----Gomez----Carroll------Kovalenko

----Eskandarian------Diaz Arce

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rammel was only better than ATC if you throw out stats vs New England.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Three things:

1) I'd rather play a man down than see ATC in black again (which, speaking of initials . . . )

2) Where's OTC? Surely to goodness his contributions over the year shouldn't be overlooked.

3) WHERE'S THOR LEE?

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Just wait for the all-time worst thread....

15. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    agreed, with one exception... I like my Olsen with a bit more Moxie..hence today's Benny....

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    But you can't do that.

Without him winning United those games, those pathetic seasons become that much worse.

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Yes, ATC made United's pathetic seasons a little better.

But it's no stretch to say that Steve Rammel saved what became a championship season in 1996. The team started off terrible that year - a lot of those guys could barely tie their own shoelaces. Without Rammel getting hot mid-season and winning games on his own, the team might have mired itself so far in last place that hope would have been lost.

18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Sonora, McKinley, and Reyes over Iroha? Laughable. I'd put Iroha as my right back in a 4-4-2 Best 11, or second team in a 3-5-2.

I think I'd re-work your first team a little bit as well.

-----------Garlick
    -----Pope-Nelsen-Goose
    Sanneh-Olsen-Harkes-Convey
    ---------Etcheverry
    -------Moreno-Lassiter

Lassiter or RDA is really a toss-up in my mind. I can't argue for or against either alongside Moreno up top.

for my second 11...

------------Rimando
    ------Iroha-Llamosa-Namoff
    Stewart-ABMOD-Carroll-Maessner
    -----------Kovalenko (Gomez has only played in like 12 games for United. I can't put him here just yet, but he'll lock down this spot if he stays next year)
    ---------RDA-Eskandarian

Third team is where it gets tough...

---------Presthus
    ---Reyes-Petke-McKinley
    Gros--Aunger--Kamler-Adu
    ----------Gomez
    ------Conteh-Rammell

The center of midfield is real tough with the 3-5-2, since we played with a 4-4-2 for so long and most of those years Etch and Williams were in the two spots. The second and third teams end up being a bit of a mess in there.

19. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to have Roy Wegerle coming off the bench. Talk about a super sub! And I would also want Gori on my list. Maybe I am just lost in the sauce though:)