Pre-match: DCU at Revs 5/24 (R)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, May 20, 2014.

1. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a little basket of teams for which I regularly invoke a mega dose of bad joss voodoo: NY, DCU and the Fire. I don't care if my angst against them is unreasonable. I shake pidgin entrails on their pre-game listings every week. So far the dark spirits and doing my bidding rather well. :devilish:

bwidell, Doublecard and patfan1 repped this.
  2. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you. I can't imagine hating another team, but that's me. I hear lots of fans say they hate opposing players and opposing teams. If that works for you, carry on.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does work for me. I hate Chicago. I hate their fans and their one chant. I hate their front office for getting a suspension for Shalrie. I hate their players for being douchebags and pulling Mauricio Wrights hair in a game (and that's only one example). I hate their stadium for being a failure. I hate the city for being windy. I hate that they won MLS Cup in their first year, and we're still waiting. I hate that they actually take the USOC seriously and we rarely seem to.

So yeah ... I hate Chicago.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #104 firstshirt, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    I think the Revs have stepped it up a little this year but just looking at the stats they rank 10th in the league in fouls committed(one more than DC) and 9th in fouls suffered. surprisingly the revs finished 5th last year for fouls committed

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not solely related to the DC game as he has mentioned it before but I love Mullins giving the Fort props for Saturdays game on twitter. So great he is encouraging the supporters and seems to have a good attitude. Can't argue with his scoring rate in his brief career to-date, either. The more I see this kid play, the more I like him.

patfan1 and firstshirt repped this.
  6. Alan

Alan Titanium Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After one large glass of cherry, grape or lemon-lime, there's little need for your attendance report.

Instead, choose to 'visualize' imaginary fans in the 55,167 empty seats.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, why do they only have one chant? It's so annoying.

One cool thing though, is that I'm enjoying the Karma of Ginger toiling there in seeming perpetuity. Forvive me if I feel schadenfreude for him having left us.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? I can understand that feeling towards a Moreno who didn't want to be here. Ginger played his heart out for us. We weren't willing to pay him what he was looking for ... it's his right to go and find it if he can.

And he has something we still don't ... because he left here. He has a Cup.

a517dogg repped this.
  9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are absolutely right. It's a character flaw on my part. I guess it can be tied to how much I revered him and how it hurt a lot to lose him. But yes, I should be more rational about it but I'm not. I guess I am wrong to say that's a cool thing. Thanks for the counsel.

10. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Ante Razov and "the stomp".

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the team he chose to go to (and captain) post-Colorado that is a source of Schadenfreude. There are 18 some other options beyond the revs he could've chosen and he chose one of the most despised clubs. Can't wash off that shitcago stink and he's most likely doomed to miss the playoffs as long as he plays for their shit club, shit owner and shit fans.

But I agree wholeheartedly, he was a loyal, hard worker while he was here and instrumental in much of the revs success. We all make mistakes.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was traded, might not have had much of a choice.

Also, I love delusional teams.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a choice whether or not he wanted to captain them - could easily have asked out after last season.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You're really pushing it. There's nothing wrong with him playing in Chicago, or even wanting to play in Chicago. Get over it.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't hate Chicago as much as I used to, that's for sure. Ante Razov, Hristo Stoitchkov, Jesse Marsch, and especially Dave Sara-can't were the reasons I hated them. That whyney punk Sara-can't telling the Ludlow cops to move us from behind Snack Thornton's goal because "they are bothering my goalkeeper" takes the cake! Of course we were bothering him, or at least trying like hell to! I don't think he liked the pizza boxes with "Eat me!" written on them, and not this song:
    Snack Thornton, Snack Thornton, you are a fat pig,
    Lasagna and chicken in portions so big,
    Snack Thornton, Snack Thornton, you are a fat sow, You look like you just ate an entire cow
    Snack Thornton, Snack Thornton, you are a fat hog,
    If you lived in Korea you would eat a dog

Too bad most of the GKs these days are pretty fit, we need to re-use some of these "Fat Bastard" chants again!

16. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly sure what game that person was watching. They had 5% more of the possession but I think the 10-1 corner kicks advantage tells you where most of the game was played. Also the Revs won more 50-50 balls. DCU did win the red/yellow Card battle;)

17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that game was a classic

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been class wherever he played. His next club could be DC or NY and I would have no issue with him at all.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the advice dad

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    At least you understand that you're a petulant child. :)

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Was at the game --- watched the highlights. My first live game of the season. It was VERY nice to see the passing and movement off the ball today. We are finally moving the ball better and consistently. There were flashes last year, but much more consistency and patience nowadays. Glad to see it is being rewarded which helps.

Mullins is very good. It's nice to see that they are calling forwards getting 'clattered' from the back now a days. I wonder how long Twellman might have played for if he got some of the calls I saw called against DC's backs against Mullins. But he is fast enough and has a great nose for the goal for sure.

Agree with the poster that Dorman is having a great year. Spoke with my friend on what happens with Rowe now healthy - who do you sit? I don't think you sit anyone, you keep Rowe there. I think Kobayashi and Andy have a great understanding of how to control the space in the middle of the field. While Rowe brings more offensive firepower than either one -- controlling the middle of the pitch is a good thing. If we have both Rowe and Nguyen in the middle it's a little too frenetic and offensive minded. I, for one, like Dorman and Kobayashi.

P.S. In regards to EJ's red. We sit right between the benches and I thought it was a red right away. While EJ did not fully kick out, it certainly looked like he made contact. Plus, Rowe was certainly p.o.ed when he got up. As they say, EJ gave the ref an opportunity to issue a red. Some will, some might not, but I don't think he was wronged by the red. And yes, I did watch it on replay as well.

bwidell and Jon Martin repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to correct this small part, I'm pretty sure he never made contact.

23. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hurt their feelings.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Fire fan inviting about 25 of us to the season opening tailgate when we played there a few years ago. Members of Section 8 found out and said "If they show up, we'll beat the shit out of all of them." Then threatened the person who was actually kind enough to have made the offer.

Yeah, winners those guys.

a517dogg repped this.
  25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, I mistyped - I meant "before" this season.
    What makes you think he didn't?
    Holiday weekend. Based on the traffic headed out to NH, Maine, NY, the Berkshires and the Cape, I think Greater Boston was probably one big ghost town.

June 8th should be a good test of where we are.

----------

I think we were more physical and I think it's coming from overall confidence. We aren't playing afraid any more. We actually did quite a good job playing on the edge of what the ref was allowing. It was actually pretty hilarious watching Diego physically knock *anyone* off the ball.

Diego also had a defender screaming foul on Mullins' goal, but after watching on replay, it was the type of 50/50 play that MLS always plays on.

The attacking runs and cool finishing have Diego among the most dangerous players in MLS right now. He's been pretty much unstoppable during this streak. And, there's enough talent/skill in the attacking corp that no one can afford to overplay Diego (or anyone, for that matter).

The confidence they are playing with, offensively and defensively, is making them a much better team. With all the pressure we're putting on teams, Dorman and Soares have been able to go right at players trying to hold up the ball. And Farrell is playing like a runaway train.

We didn't get a lot of the fine combination play in this game as the last couple, but we put it together brilliantly a few times.

Only negative, it was pretty disappointing to give up a tying goal in a game like this. Looked like Soares had a great chance to intercept that cross, but got wrong-footed. Home shutout streaks ends, but the win is the thing.

Hottest team in MLS; no one even close. We've been dispatching all the other contenders one after another.

July 4th in Salt Lake could be pretty special.

bwidell and Jon Martin repped this.