dc Whining about Kenny Call

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Wizardscharter, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    From a dc article on Saturday's game:

After Saturday's game, Etcheverry contended Kenny made the rarely-seen call on purpose, regardless of its merit.
    ``They have too many problems with D.C. United. And they think they are winning the game against Marco. They're not," Etcheverry said. ``I'm here to play soccer and I love this game. They don't know where they are. I don't think they belong in FIFA. Maybe in college or high school, I don't know. It's so bad. They're killing this league."

Nice. So, Etcheverry is convinced that because his team can't score, Moreno can't put in a pk, he can't finish a pk when he has to, and no doubt countless other reasons; the referees are completely against him.

First, Is Etch so absolutely stupid that he really thinks announcing it through the media will actually help his or his teams cause? Maybe the refs have it in for Marco. If there is any grain of truth to it at all, at some point he brought it on himself the same way cops convict people of "Contemp of Cop". He has mouthed off regarding the refs since day 1. Refs are only human after all.

Hey Marco, here's a comcept: Try being good enough to earn points on your own merit regardless of ref. Here's another one: Shut your mouth. Maybe if you do that you might not get hosed on "every" call.

Second, Bob Gansler choose to approach it differently. The difference in intelligence is striking in it's simplicity. BG, in the same article said that Noel Kenny is a good referee but he thought NK missed the call on the awarding of a penalty. Same message as Marco, vastly different delivery.

Third, I really enjoyed MCE's view on refs killing the league. Killing the league?!? Somehow I think the league will manage to pull through. The same might not be able to be said about MCE's career or dc chances this season.

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, I think it is MAE.

Second, if whining about and to refs had a negative impact, then our very own Tony Meola would never get a break at all. He definitely lived up to his Three Tenors reputation in the DC game.

I think most of the comments fall in the "water off a duck's back" category. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Etch get a fine from the league.

Even (some) United fans are ready for Etch and Moreno to either move on or take pay cuts. Jaime seems to be mailing it in, in some eyes. The fact is, Etcheverry hasn't ruled the league since his masterful playoff run in 1999. That's nearly three seasons of substandard play. His assists and goals are way off. Frankly, he got old quickly. The big difference between Etch and Preki is that Preki actually has a right foot, and uses it enough to punish folks that overplay the left. Etcheverry has never shown any ability to use his right foot, ever, and MLS defenses have caught up to him.

Sad to say, both Preki and Etch's free kicks are overrated (as shots on goal). They are always real close, but almost never score.

3. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    I agree on Tony. He got his tonight in Chicago. Still, there is a difference between barking on the field and saying the same things to the press.

My point was more that if there is anything to it at all, it's just a negative for Marco and dc. It can't possibly be a positive.

4. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco has been saying things to the press since, oh about 1999. He has also been fined for saying those things. Glad you finally caught up ;)

5. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ultraviolet

ultraviolet New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    KC
  7. Wizardscharter

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    He's been whining since before he joined the league. Glad YOU finally caught up....a-hole.

8. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's your problem??? Are you that pathetic that you have to find posts from three days ago so you can call someone names??? Really, who is the a-hole here? If your so damn sensitive maybe you should get your security blanket and head on over to Mommy's house.