Pre-match: DC versus Cowlumbus

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, May 3, 2021.

1. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If San Jose was a tough nut to crack it doesn't get any easier with the Crew on Saturday.

The Crew as defending MLS Champions are strong throughout their entire roster. They even upgraded over the offseason.

Their roster is loaded. They have strong players at every position and are 2 deep in almost all slots.

If they are able to put their first team out on the field it will be a very, very difficult game at Columbus. Despite all the crap he gets on the US National Team Zardes is an effective striker in their system and he has lots of help and service. Zelarayan is one of the best midfielder/forwards in the league. He can either play the 10 or as a second striker.

The crew also picked up Kevin Molino who is an excellent attacker and game-changer. Pedro Santos is very creative and Diaz is both technical and very fast on the wing. Nagbe can control a midfield with his hold-up play and as he has shown with the Nats is almost impossible to take the ball off him.

If they have both Mensah and Williams back at Center back they will be very difficult to break down. Mensah is one of the best 3 or 4 Center Backs in the entire league.

Columbus stats in the early part of the season are so so. They have been struggling with having the extra games of the CONCACAF Champions League. But make no mistake this is a strong, strong team. We could get lucky if they end up expending a lot of energy in their game away at Monterrey on Wednesday which they have to win since they are tied 2-2 on aggregate.

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    So you’re saying I should find something else to do?

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I will be thrilled if DCU can get a draw. Even if both rosters are at full strength, C-bus is just deep and talented, DCU not so much.

Winoman repped this.
  4. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly, as a fan, watch the game. I'm just saying keep your expectations "modest". A tie would be a great result. The betting shows Columbus is a 2.5 goal favorite with a result between 2-1 to 3-0 for Columbus.

But, this is MLS so who knows. There may be things that folks don't like about MLS but one good thing is relative parity compared to the top 5 Leagues around the world where you can pretty much know who is going to win the league among 2, 3, or 4 clubs at the start of the season.

dadman repped this.
  6. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any info on when Arriola could come back? The only thing I've seen is an Athletic story a while back that said he could be at training in the middle or end of May.

7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will start issuing cards if the Pre-Match threads aren't listed with info and baby animals. I'm trying to run a streaming service in my day job and can't be digging up baby animals and fixing threads.

Who: DC vs the Cows of Ohio
    What: Soccer Brunch Ohio Style
    Where: Old Crew Medicine Show Stadium - home of the burning screen
    Why: the show must go on.
    When: 10:30 am my time - sort it out yourselves.
    How: TV: NBCSWA, TeleXitos, ESPN+, DCUnited.com

Ohio Cute Animal:

[​IMG]

...Yes I know it is Cleveland and not Columbus - but outside of Ohio does anyone really care.

dadman, fatbastard, GumbyG and 2 others repped this.
  8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is United won't face their full squad, some guys will be rested after playing in Mexico on Wed.
    Yeah, a draw would be a great result.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  10. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Managed to snag one of the drive up viewing tickets for this game. Not sure what to expect but it's nice to see them trying new stuff.

nick and Winoman repped this.
  11. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Anyone know when the injured list comes out? Hoping that Canouse and Pines at least come off the list. What's up w Pines btw? He was a late scratch before the season opener and is listed with an Achilles injury. Anyone hear even a word more than that? He's the fastest player on the team and we need him if this formation has any hope of working.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Also works for Seattle.

You can never have too much blue eye shadow.

Thx,

Jay!

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  13. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Canouse apparently had a bad reaction to the Covid vaccine, so he should be back Saturday. I don't know about Pines. He was a late scratch in the opener. However, my daughter and I saw him walking through the parking lot towards the stadium and he was moving just fine -- so who knows?

GumbyG, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have higher expectations. Columbus' A-team looked completely gassed by minute 60 tonight in Mexico. Very tough match physically and emotionally in Monterrey, they're out of Champions' League, and one of the last things they want to see in 62 hours is the highest energy team in MLS. We're getting them at the perfect time, although Zelerayan didn't play because of yellow cards.

He and Flores came into the league at about the same time, from the same league, with similar transfer fees. If Flores can't step up and play like a DP Saturday, I'm not sure when he will. A goal and assist for Flores as United wipe that smirk off Caleb Porter's face.

15. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a shot on goal from Flores. When that happens, I'll start expecting something impactful. I think he's a good crosser, but really there's no one to cross to. Nope, I'm going to need him to put the burden on his back now.

16. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara...

Yay...

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, let's all let out sarcastic yays when the only proven MLS goal scorer, who for all we know can actually make a difference in this system, may be ready to come back.

:rolleyes:

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    #19 song219, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    I'm not a super fan of the sarcasm but a proven MLS goal scorer in 2018 is different than a proven MLS scorer.

Funkfoot, JayRockers! and UnitedBorn repped this.
  20. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I have no optimism regarding Kamara, but with Robertha out, the only "forward" available to backup Sorga is Perez, so this is an improvement. I also know that DeShields is a rookie, but right now there is absolutely no backup for BHI, Brillant and Alfaro (who is in reality a backup made starter due to injuries).

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.
  21. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Losada's focus on fitness, seeing Pines walk around doesn't necessarily translate to being fit to play. A couple of players have already said that his expectations on fitness are way different than Olsens. A player coming back from injury would have played for Olsen but would not have been deemed fit enough for Losada.

22. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The relative impact of Zelerayan for Columbus versus Flores for DC is massive. I can't think of a wider gulf. Honestly, if someone did not tell you that Flores was a DP with the highest transfer fee ever paid by DC, you might see him based on performance to date as just a journeyman even below average player.

23. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That is certainly upping my expectations. A Center Forward who can't score and a new player that could not get a game for a USL League One team.

We need players who can make a difference like Hamid, Canouse and Arriola.

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC Canouse was scratched last match because of a reaction to his Covid shot. I've never heard of a reaction lasting this long.

ejs1111 repped this.
  25. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I have so many favorite "proven goal scorer" signings, but I'm really partial to Carlos Ruiz in 2013 and Joseph Ngwenya in 2014.

dadman repped this.