Pre-match: DC United vs. Pink Cows

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Wyrm2, May 28, 2022.

1. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IT'S IN THE NET!!!!

Kamara appears to be able to find space, still pissed we didn't start him (not that it probably would have mattered).

Alejandro 10, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  2. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey look -- KAMARA SCORED AGAIN WHY DOESN'T HE START?

3. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Holy hell, this is terrible. We fouled enough in the first half to stay even, and then we couldn't stay close enough to even foul. A couple of great finishes by NYRB, for sure, but still a very well-deserved win.

By August, Taxi'll need titanium shins, since all defenses will have to do is hack him and make DC score with literally anyone else -- especially during the first 60 minutes when, inexplicitly, Kamara's on the bench.

That's a 7-1 composite loss to your biggest rival over 18 days. I know he's a stop-gap, but someone's gotta at least be screaming at Ashton over the break (sorry, Chad -- it won't be fun).

4. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Own Goal is in the house... never change Alfaro.

Winoman repped this.
  5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United with the upset goal late to join Jersey on the scoreboard.

Classy move by United to gift another consolation goal to Jersey.

Winoman and United1 repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    0 points

Winoman repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning!

Winoman repped this.
  8. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Lucy won this game going away on Football Manager. What gives?

Winoman repped this.
  9. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we even have a shot on goal before the late Kamara consolation goal?

Without Taxi or Najar, Gressel is the only player capable of creating anything. Flores was brought in to be a creator, but he just isn't good for this team or this league.

In addition, there is no plan B.

The bench is weak. Kamara is the only useful attacking player.

We have no speed to play on the counter. So, that isn't an option.

If our #9 could hold up the ball with his back to goal, he could be the fulcrum to launch attacks. Estrada's was horrible. I don't mean to be a d-ck, but he could barely trap a ball or complete a pass.

Both Estrada and Robertha could be useful with the right players around them, but they need service. They cannot create for themselves or for others.

The optimist in me says that there is hope that this team can at least be entertaining down the stretch. We need to keep Taxi and Najar healthy, and get a quality attacking player in the summer window who can push Flores to the bench.

dadman, anotherfan, bigredfutbol and 3 others repped this.
  10. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not sure where you get your optimism from? I feel we are heading to the bottom of the league with no escape hatch. I would say we are a good 3 or 4 players away from contending for a playoff spot. We are dreadful at every level. Extremely frustrating given it isn’t even June.

DCU repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We fired Losada who was squeezing copper from this turd of a team. At points it was fun to watch and we competed. Now we don’t have that cohesion, don’t have the tactics, don’t have the coach, and less of the players (injury/trades). The FO said that we had the team and the coach let them down. Same team, different coach, everything is worse.

JRHokie, John L, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  12. dcu n bntwn

dcu n bntwn Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Watertown, MA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. This team is at least 2-3 players from even being close to the quality of the 2020-2021 team, and that team missed the playoffs. However, I am hopeful that the team is building and not declining.

I feel like this team was gutted last offseason. Key players and role players were lost, and they were either not replaced at all or they were replaced by inferior players. The most notable losses were Paredes and Arriola.

In my mind, Taxi is the Arriola replacement. So far, this appears to be an upgrade. Time will tell.

However, Brad Smith is no Paredes. So, AT MINIMUM, we need a quality attacker to play on the left to balance our attack. If we can do this, I think the team can compete.

Additions may come too late to make the playoffs, but hopefully they will at least be fun to watch in the last 1/3 of the season.

What I don't want to hear is any of that "we are happy with our group" BS of the past.

anotherfan, Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  13. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    All we need is an attacker? We have one of the worst midfields in the entire league.

GlennAA11 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't get why Kamara is not starting. Estrada is just not cutting the mustard, and Robertha hasn't shown much of anything. Flores should not be an attacking wing, or even on the pitch for that matter. I seriously would play Ted Ku-DiPietro over Flores, and let him get his feet wet. Sami Guediri (Loudoun FC) impressed me when he filled in for DC, and I would bring him up, and send Alfaro down.

I am so sick and tired of DC making other teams (good or bad) look like Real Madrid. I'm disgusted.

GumbyG, John L, Yowza and 4 others repped this.
  15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's got to be the simplest reason: The club wants to play it's costliest players, particularly internationals. I imagine since we got Taxi Kamara and his agent have been complaining quite a lot, and the team is not responsive to people who want to contribute and can contribute to the club if they are demanding. It's also pretty par for the course for us to increase a players salary and then just shut them out. Shades of 2012.

For me, the next game is it, do or die. If we lose to the only team struggling more than we are in all of MLS, it's over. Yea, Kansas City is struggling too, but in the much more difficult West. If we were in the West we would be sitting on 0.5 ppg

16. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah, I figure the edict has come down that we're paying these guys big money so they need to be on the field no matter what.

It's a shame that Bill is a shadow of his former self. He never used to give up juicy rebounds like that, did he? The defense and midfield obviously don't help, but he's not the savior anymore

Winoman, John L and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    It's kind of bonkers that "Hamid and hope" was seen as an admirable idea to begin with. What other team in the league and their fanbase would be satisfied with their keeper making acrobatic saves just to make the playoffs? It was stupid when I first heard it and I am glad it holds no basis in reality anymore.

dadman and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I could live with other teams looking like Real Madrid if United looked like Liverpool. The losses would feel a lot better.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s always been a shot stopper. Rebounds happen. He’s never been a hands guy. Never. That’s why he never made it to the top and stayed there. When your team is roasted ass a shot stopper becomes Courtois.

20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the only thing worth watching.

21. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    eriF ehT hcaoC

Is it any harder to hire a small plane to fly over the stadium these days than it was back in August 2001?

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should re-brand as the Washington Generals?

Real Mobile, PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Meanwhile, Arriola with a brace last night. #Kasperout

TowsonDad, dadman, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but Kamara is making almost as much money as Flores, and much more than Estrada and Robetha.

I'm pretty sure that we would find that a bunch of the younger players aren't ready, but at least we could use this year to figure that out, rather than waste it rolling Flores out every game.

My guess is that Kamara is being punished for the red card thing, but starting Robetha over him has to be a sign that he is gone soon, which is a shame because he is one of the only players on the team with a nose for goal.

Winoman and GlennAA11 repped this.
  25. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Estrada is trash. Can we ship him back to Toluca this week? Awful runs, terrible first touch, soft on the ball, and is a diver.

Hamid is clearly not the same player, but can we not allow point-blank shots all the time? Even the best keepers will sometimes allow rebounds.

I know isn’t a popular position on this board but for the amount of money Gressel makes he surely isn’t delivering. Perhaps if we had competent players around him he would play better, but right now he’s underperforming. I guess he’s the least of our worries…

Alejandro 10 repped this.