DC United vs NYCFC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Winoman, Apr 14, 2021.

1. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the style but we have to get more from the attacking players to be goal-dangerous. The two goals came off very low Expected Goal percentages and that is something we can't rely on week to week.

Eastern Bear and shawn12011 repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I don’t think Losada worries about possession percentages. His press is designed to get the ball and go directly to goal. That puts teams on the back foot. NYCFC had a great deal of possession, but after the first 15 minutes, they really had only one good threat on goal. As Ray Hudson would say — “ possession without penetration is masturbation.” NYCFC jerked off most of the night.

shawn12011 repped this.
  3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Forwards didn't do anything? Did you not see the first goal? Sorga received the throw and then schools 4 or 5 defenders in tight space before laying it off to Junior Moreno. Once again, he shows promise as a legitimate option up top. He fits Losadas system and I expect he and his teammates will get better at completing their passes

bigredfutbol, ejs1111 and John L repped this.
  4. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how I remembered the goal. I went back to MLS highlights for the game and watched the build-up to the goal. Sorga receives the throw-in. He moves to split 2 NYCFC defenders and beats one man but then loses it to the second as he tries to squeeze past him. The second NY player pokes the ball away from Sorga luckily in the direction of Moreno who then turns and lays the ball off for Hines-Ike in space for a cracking shot. That is not schooling the NYCFC defense, far from it since Sorga lost the ball in tight spaces. Honestly, Sorga's current level is not up to MLS. The fact that he starts tells me how thin we are up top.

Abner Ravenwood and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would guess he is fit and can chase and swarm up top. He might not have the polish of a better forward but I always thought of him as a poacher and not a hold up guy. So he has fitness and that's why he is there. I'm hoping we come out of our injury haze with fit players in May.

shawn12011, nick and Winoman repped this.
  6. Abner Ravenwood

Jul 21, 2004
    Last seen in Nepal
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you’re saying it was a *strategic* turnover...