DC United vs NYCFC

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Winoman, Apr 14, 2021.

1. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    gotta defend better on Corner Kicks late in the game

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Time to crack SJ!

3. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edison High School's own Andy Najar subbed in!

4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    FIVE minutes stoppage time? - for what?

Winoman repped this.
  5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    definitely a lot of hustle

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Hernan Losada now holds an astounding 100% win rate with the club, leading all other coaches in the team's history. Ben Olsen could only dream of such a record.

UnitedBorn, benni..., morange92 and 3 others repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3 points

morange92 and Winoman repped this.
  8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was fun.

Winoman repped this.
  9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I’ll wager NYCFC, much like myself, didn’t think United could sustain.

benni..., dadman, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  10. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor phrasing.

11. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry you can't sustain. There are blue pills etc :)

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don’t remember another time when DCU had more shots

benni... and JRHokie repped this.
  13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was nice, wasn't it?

Vamos, vamos United
    Esta noche, tenemos que ganar!

14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THREE POINTS

benni... and Winoman repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best I've see from Gressel and Flores. Canouse was involved, and Hines-Ike was named MOTM.

benni..., Bluesfan, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I’m going to start polls before every match

17. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I thought Canouse was excellent at whatever spot on the field that was...

ejs1111, Yowza, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  18. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    But we don't have any strikers/forwards good enough for the long haul

Winoman repped this.
  19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be, but let's give them a little time to get used to the new offense before we write them off completely.

20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    So great to be back at AF. Parked in the lot behind AF. As we pulled into our spot, the guy in the car next to us got out -- my daughter says that's Pines. Sure enough, jeebus but that guy is tall. Oh, he drives a Hyundai if you want to know.

The match looked like the first one of the season. NYCFC had better possession, but only could unlock DCU once. Hine-Ike's shot was a golazo. Canouse's goal was really well taken -- Gressel put the ball right on his foot, and Canouse simply redirected the ball toward the goal. He didn't try to shoot it through Johnson, just made good solid contact -- both goals were really well taken. Mora also got off a rocket before that on a semi-breakaway. If part of Losada's system is shooting the ball when you have a half chance, I'm on board.

Really great to see Andy Najar back on the field in a DCU kit. He got a standing O when he came on. Hope he stays healthy, he's only 28.

Asad looks some much fitter than last year. The whole team just looks better. The roster still needs major work, but Gressel looked better and Flores had his moments. Sorga got no service, but he pressed hard and several times NYCFC coughed up the ball because of his pressure on Johnson of the CB. However, whether you play Sorga, Robertha, Kamara of the second coming of Messi up front, DCU needs to find a midfielder that can get them the ball. We'll see how things develop, but that was a major negative tonight, no one was trying or succeeding with the through ball that breaks defensive liines.

Lots of fun and now I'm having a nice Scotch before retiring.

fatbastard, dadman, Hedbal and 5 others repped this.
  21. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Agree, maybe when Rooney was here. Incidentally, last season Kamara was the SOG leader with 9 for the entire season. (23 games). In 2019 Rooney had 27 (34 games)

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  22. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Very VERY much looking forward to seeing Arriola play in this system.

Overall: There was energy, there were some well-taken goals, there were some new players who looked solid. Lots of questions remain, but of course they do -- it was game one. If we're starting here, and we improve through the season, I'll be pretty happy with the '21 campaign.

dadman, MattR, JRHokie and 1 other person repped this.
  23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    11 shots? We had 18 in out last game last season.

Thx,

Jay!

24. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. I was surprised we won. Happy but surprised.

Here's what I liked and what I didn't.

I will give Losada credit for his style and pattern of play. DC for the first time in a long time had a specific identity; DC played a high press used direct play at every opportunity. The style was very clear.

This game was fun to watch. In contrast to the slow and almost pointless "buildup" from Olsen's teams, this aggressive style was fun. United frequently caused NYCFC problems with its press, causing turnovers high up the field. We also had few balls passed laterally or backward; the players constantly looked upfield and that put City further on their heels.

We also had players willing to take shots on chances and half chances rather than feel compelled to walk the ball into the net.

Hines-Ike if he continues to play like today is an absolute gem. I love his style. His positioning and tackling were excellent. He is strong technically and takes shots (perhaps he doesn't realize he's a center-back) and his goal was a beauty.

Gressel and Asad played much much better than I have seen them play in a long time. Flores had moments, especially in the first half. Canouse also had a solid game and a very well-taken goal hitting the corner first time and steering the ball into the net.

We scored 2 goals and got 3 points against a fairly good New York City team while missing a few starters.

What concerns me after watching this game.

First, I wonder if the high press is sustainable over the course of the game. During the first half, we took it to City and keep possession pretty equal. After the half, we clearly started to tire and our possession and control of the game dropped significantly.

It's obvious that this system needs players who are very, very fit to implement the high press for long periods throughout the game.

Second, our passing in the middle and final third was terrible. The lack of accurate passing meant there was very little service to Sorga or anyone else up top. I have doubts if we have players technically strong enough to pull off the passing required to service our forwards and hit other teams immediately following the loss of possession. Our possession percentage dropped from close to 50% down to 30s.

The lack of scoring punch up front is glaring. I hope Robertha shows anything close to having the impact of Hines-Ike. Sorga is not up MLS level playing whatever system; he seems just too slow to make penetrating runs behind the defense.

All in all, I still have lots of questions but it was a fun game.

ejs1111, dadman, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be fooled by the 3 points. United played ok at best. They got lucky from two very good shots on goal. You cannot sustain an entire season expecting goals like we scored in that game. You won't get those type of goals every week. The high press is in fact a different system but it did not create our two goals. They were outstanding individual efforts.

I am happy we won but this is not the turn around story we have been sold yet. As many here have pointed out our passing is still poor, now the question is was the poor passing due to them still not knowing how and where to pass or are their legs too tired to make the passes they need to make. We will see.

I am still in wait and see mode.

ejs1111, dadman, Winoman and 4 others repped this.