DC United vs. New England Revulsion

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Ian Scullen

Ian Scullen Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    A red card seems probable at this point. Then I can see us just totally collapsing and letting in 5 or 6 goals. Hopefully I'm just being pessimistic.

2. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap, that was beautiful... if we get out of this half only down one, it will be awesome.

(Edit: Ok, bad defense by NE, but still a great finish)

Winoman repped this.
  3. Von Zee

Von Zee Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Olsen on Jara's goal: "It wasn't great"

Gee, thanks coach...

Winoman repped this.
  4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but that cross was. That’s the butter.

James

stangspritzring and shawn12011 repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now is the time to bring on the extra defender,right?

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola is too good for this team.

stangspritzring, Winoman, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  7. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got any subs? Subs would be nice.

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Twellman: I'm amazed Olsen hasn't made a sub.

Me: I'm amazed you can be on television and not do any research.

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked offside but I’ll take it.

10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to manage a tie with 30+ minutes of a man advantage.

JRHokie, tallguy, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1 point at home.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So disappointing in so many ways. At least Arriola showed why he was on the USMNT.

stangspritzring, Winoman and pr0ner repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola, Jara, and Mora were the best players on the field for United tonight. Arriola is no surprise as he was regularly the US's best player at the Gold Cup. Jara exudes confidence, strange lapses aside, and Mora is still the best tackler this team has had in years.

song219 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to the "experts" in the USMNT N&A forum. In their opinion, he consistently ranked low. :rolleyes:

majspike and sitruc repped this.
  15. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not a good night for Birnbaum.

Winoman repped this.
  16. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of save attempt was that by Hamid on the 2nd goal? It's like he tried to avoid using his hands.

JRHokie repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A disappointing evening on many levels. Our passing accuracy was way down; our center backs were exposed for lack of pace; and Rooney missed another sitter. Without Acosta we had no creator in the middle - Moreno and Canouse ventured forward a bit more but were ineffective. And once again I see little from Rodriguez. Stieber wasn't even on the bench (replaced by Yow, I believe), but I would have rather seen him than Rodriguez at this point. We had a 65-35 advantage in possession, but we did little with it. Pines was very good, but a bit tentative. At times he seemed driven by his junior status to pass to more senior teammates even when he could have/should have played on forward. I would like to see him start again, perhaps in place of Brillant, in part because he has great closing speed, even though his first step, like all very tall players, is a bit slow.

tallguy, UnitedBorn and Winoman repped this.
  18. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am confused by Ben. Clearly the team likes slow, measured (too slow, too measured) buildup, but during most of the game Ben seemed to be on the sideline screaming and gesturing for them to play it forward faster. What am I missing?

*usual traditional rant against Unkel*

Arriola should have been MOTM, hands down. He's the only reason we were threatening. Seriously, if there was a player who I wouldn't have expected to put it over the bar from within the 6yd box, it would have been Rooney. But the ball served to him by Arriola was insane.

Amerikwa needs wing players who aren't afraid to try and deliver early balls behind the defense. If he's gonna camp out offside, we could at least serve him up a couple of those on the off chance an errant defender keeps him on. Arriola and Rodriguez also made a couple such runs.

Hamid...Oh Bill....I love you buddy, but, man....distribution and vision are not your strong suits. I know from your perspective it's tough to see what's going on at midfield, but if you see one or two of our wing players running like mad upfield, try and play the ball into the space to which they're running. Twice there were clear runs by Arriola when NE defenders were slow to track back that you would have broken him free if you'd released before he reached the midfield line, but instead you did 1-a short roll to a defender who slowly moved it through the midfield where we lost it, and 2-booted it to the center circle where it went to a lone NE player.

Lastly. how do so many of our players still not understand the concept of "when not in possession, get into position"? We lose so many passes by guys just sitting there waiting for the ball to come to them, rather than playing to the ball, and so many still don't play into space (probably because of the aforementioned static problem...)

Yes, some of that is on Ben, but some of that are the onfield guys who should know better by now, regardless of what the coach does or does not push.

*parting anti-Unkel rant*

Winoman and dadman repped this.
  19. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Le sigh...

Attached Files:

Winoman repped this.
  20. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Yea and I'd have been in the market for at least two if I could have gotten it in a kids size, but realisticly, I don't need another DCU shirt and I am sure not buying it so my son can fume about not being able to get one so I passed. A tad cynical, but thats kind of the MLS trend these days IMO and thats the reality of being a dad to kid who confines most of his wants to soccer gear and DCU.

UnitedBorn and shawn12011 repped this.
  21. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    He pretty much lives his career in the sound bite of the moment and then moves on. If you think he's got much awareness of 5 minutes ago or any awareness of 5 minutes from now ...

22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    His finishing flat out sucked, but I'd guess an inordinately high percentage of our best offensive moments in the Gold Cup came from his speed and him running at defenders.

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, sometimes you just have to give a GK credit for making a great play. Yes, he skied a few shots, but he was stopped by some great GK play, too.

asitis, PSURoss and sitruc repped this.