DC United vs FIU Scrimmage [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by apqjr, Mar 6, 2007.

1. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    I got there after the first period so all I got to see were the reserves. Moose, Arguez and Walker looked impressive throughout. Everyone else had their moments but nothing notable.

Fearington looked alright but you could tell he was not yet*NSYNC with the rest of the gang. I could have sworn he called Jeff Carroll "Brian" late in the game when asking for the ball. Peter Nowak was in attendance and was looking fit and trim. He is either way ahead or far behind the style curve with the blue camouflage spandex top.

It was nice to see our possession game and passing carrying-over from the first team. I'm looking forward to Motagua on Friday.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it fair to say that this game mostly played by the reserves? i mean, did Gomez, Emilio or Moreno play?

3. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Mookie Arguez is gonna be someone very special for this team. I can feel it.

4. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    I was told the first 30 minute period had Olsen and a few other starters rotating in and out. However when I got there, it was strictly the reserves. The starting team was on another field with Soehn. It was surrounded by a fence tarp so I figured they wanted their privacy. Normally that would not stop me from snooping around, but I just spent more than an hour getting there and didn't want to go back home right away.

I forgot to mention Casal and Kpene in the earlier post. Kpene was very active up top but, just like Fearington, needs time to blend in with the group. He had some decent runs but many times was double teamed. More than a few times he held the ball well with a much bigger FIU defender draped all over him.

Casal was impressive. He was gliding up and down the left side constantly burning his defender. Since we were playing underclassmen many months removed from being game fit, I took that with a grain of salt.

I made a point to focus on the new guys but I completely forgot to look out for Welton Silva. I have no memory of him. The best part of the whole scrimmage was seeing Troy walking around carrying the big orange Gatorade jug in one hand and the rack of water bottles in the other, with nary a limp. Everyone appeared fit and healthy.

5. The Big VA

The Big VA Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the score when you got there? I am curious when the FIU goals were scored. Thanks.

6. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    I caught at least two of the FIU goals. One had a solid build up through our midfield and defense which was great work on their part. The other goal was near the end of the game when they pretty much resorted to long balls over the top. It seemed their forward went from having his back to our goal, to spinning around and unleashing a head high volley that lobbed our keeper (Nolly?). It was quite impressive but looked more lucky than skillful...but I'll give the guy credit for trying. It was...dare I say...Gomez-esque.

7. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the [R] is for those of us that recorded the game and will watch it later?

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh.

I wonder about that "3". Can anyone advise who our backline and keeper were for much of this?

9. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please tell me you're not going to pay any attention to a second hand account of the second half of a scrimmage game.

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I just wanna know who played defense, and whether they played well or poorly. Since we're pretty thin in defense these days, and since Soehn apparently had the starters on a different field, the men he had back (Wilson + ?) are whoever he has in mind right now as his defensive subs; I'm curious who the "?" are.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I guess you are going to pay attention to it then. Where are they, Bradenton again? Maybe I should ask my nephews to go scout the team.

:D

And yes, I am kidding. Sort of. I just don't know that it necessarily follows that the guys who played in a scrimmage against FIU are the guys Soehn has in mind as his subs.

12. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    There's a summary on the website:

http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/news/tea...nt_id=85084&vkey=news_dcu&fext=.jsp&team=t103

Lineup: Jay Nolly (Shawn Crowe 47), Facundo Erpen (Devon McTavish 30), Bobby Boswell (John Wilson 30 [Jamil Fearington 60]), Bryan Namoff (Stephen deRoux 30), Ben Olsen (Jeff Carroll 30), Clyde Simms (Bryan Arguez 30), Brian Carroll (Justin Moose 30), Josh Gros (Kasali Yinka Casal 30), Luciano Emilio (Jamil Walker 30 [Welton Sliva 60]), Jaime Moreno (Guy Kpene 30)

13. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on, Mike, every time someone puts on a United shirt their performance is important for the sanity of dozens. You should know that by now! ;)

So back to Bootsy's question...

14. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Not in Bradenton this trip - in Sunrise (near Ft. Lauderdale).

15. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    So, according to the game report from Garbaggio, none of our starters played for more than 30 minutes. So you might want to change your question to what was the score after 30?
    And your answer would be 1-1.

Bootsy - does this help?

Have to say I was going thru daily report withdrawals for a day or two, wondering where guys like Diceson are. :D

16. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez,
    Bootsy had a good question.
    Perkins went out with a tweak and the next thing we see is a college team putting 3 goals in against us.
    Chivas is a week away.
    It's not unreasonable to want to know if our backup got schooled by FIU.

...and I'm still not sure we know the answer.

17. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Wilson and McTavish were both playing centerback at one time or another. I don't recall DC ever switching to a 4 man backline. On the side closest to me DeRoux played left back for at least one period and Fearington right back in the next period.

I wouldn't really say we took these kids to school but you could definitely tell who the pros were. FIU had some nice players out there. One critique for DC could be the lack of shooting from outside the box is not limited to our first teamers.

Regarding our goalkeepers, neither Nolly or Crowe were real busy. Apart from the FIU tally where they had a good buildup and score we really controlled the match. FIU scored a wonderful goal off a volley but I have to believe that was sheer luck. I will say that we produce some wonderful d-mids. Arguez played wonderfully for someone straight out of club soccer. Moose seemed very poised and confident on the ball. He was everywhere. Breaking up passes and quickly switching to the counter-attack. It was a good workout...nothing more, nothing less. No one was reckless. No one got hurt (Stoitchkov are you listening?)

18. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post; thanks.
    I've been giving out too much rep, but I'll get you when I get a recharge.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too.

20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA