DC United vs. AUFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by ATLfirefan, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time, DC embarrassed our boys at home, stealing a 3-1 victory. Since then, DCU has looked pretty much terrible. They are 1-5-1 since the end of April and have scored a whopping 1 goal. They currently sit 11th (last) in the Eastern Conference with 15 points.

As with the previous match, I expect DCU to sit back and defend, looking to pick us off easily on the counter. This concerns me greatly, as we've been incredibly susceptible to giving up goals on counter attacks.

However, ATLUTD was without Josef Martinez for the match. Martinez is back and has scored in two of his three appearances since returning form his injury. Also, Atlanta s in that weird position of having two games in hand over much of the conference. This is one of those extra games we have to play. Securing three points away would be a great way to make up for what happened in April and keep moving up the table.

It's Rivalry Week throughout MLS. Does this count as a rivalry?

P.S. Sorry for creating this thread, I was impatient and wanted to talk about it!

GoDawgsGo and GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No need to apologize. I didn't know if I'd get to it this week with my schedule, anyway.

First big test from Martino in deciding how to juggle the line-up during a congested stretch. Pending performances in training this should be an opportunity to rotate players, but we'll see.

Looking at the standings and season schedule I'm tempted to say these next two games are imperative in getting results. 4 pts minimum. DCU did win in Atlanta but it was a weird result based on the run of play, and I'm certain the AU gameplan will feature more focus on Acosta.

Will ponder more and add to my thoughts later.

3. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was impressive to watch in person. Carmona needs to essentially man pressure him in to a cover defender. When he shredded us the cover was always slow to help. The goal he scored could have easily been prevented with a tactical foul and taking a yellow back at midfield.

4. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note: Carmona will be suspended due to yellow card accumulation.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought I heard something about that. So add Kratz and leave The Ginger to focus on D, knowing you can sub him for possibly Bloom or McCann down the line? I do think ball control will be critical in this match. Atlanta had it in the first match but failed to convert in large part because they had to build from so deep or had men out of position in the final third, hence the high shot count but not as many on target. So emphasize the press once more but with more of a steady build in the transition game, and Kratz generally excels in that capacity.

If Atlanta does take the lead I think late on this might be another good chance for Carleton to make an appearance. Give him some PT leading up to next week's USOC match.

Lloyd might also get some playing time, as well. He's still rusty as we saw vs. Charleston, but again this might be a match-up that works in his favor.

6. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 ATLfirefan, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Roster rotation starts now.

--------------- Martinez ----------------
    Asad --------------------------- Villalba
    -------------- Almiron ------------------
    ------- Larentowicz - Kratz ---------
    Garza - LGP -- Parkhurst - Bloom
    ---------------- Kann ------------------

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Kratz replacing Carmona tonight, with Martinez starting on the bench. Villalba starts up top and Gresselmania handling the right.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) I'm not enjoying the new play-by-play man. I also wish greatly he would stop talking about the poor crowd. Reflects poorly on the league by calling attention to it.

B) Atlanta giving away too many balls early. Like they're not reading the field conditions on deep passes or something.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Corner to Atlanta... which as expected turns into a transitional attack for DC.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1-0! Asad to Almiron to Grease for a tap in!

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mears with 2 open crosses and he sends them way too deep. Like he's a 1 trick pony or something.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1-1

Kann... OMG. I guess he wants to give Guzan the starting job.

I will say, though, the defense as a whole has been s*** in clearing the ball.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    36' gone and play has settled into a mediocre affair. Both teams losing shape and struggling to maintain possession. Garza is covering too much ground, imo, leaving AU exposed for counters. Asad and others just not doing well connecting passes or avoiding traffic.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Corner to Atlanta. Uh oh.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Almiron and Villalba bundle a good opportunity. Really want Martinez up front.

16. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We should have a few goals by now. DC has no business being in this game.

17. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I should also say that Alec Kann is 100% responsible for giving DC their goal.

18. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Halftime. I am not at all satisfied with that half.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1-1 at the half. Not a sexy display. Time to see our manager earn his pay.

Kratz has held his own in the central position but as a whole the D has been out of sync. Not sure how much is the lineup change.

Villalba and Asad are not the best versions of themselves so far. Apart from his start of the goal scoring play Asad has focused mostly on drawing fouls. Yay.

Can't help but think the pitch has something wrong, too, because the pace of the players and the balls on the ground has been slow and ugly.

20. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I want Martinez.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    DCU 2 - 1 ATL

Just f*** me but the defense sucks. Not as miserable as the Vancouver match but certainly poor.

Also, if I had a dollar for every time an Atlanta player dribbled into traffic then I'd be buying everyone a round.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    62'

Martinez comes on for Gressel, moving Tito out right.

23. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    A team that loses to DC twice in one season is probably not going to make the playoffs. This team is Jekyll and Hyde.

24. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Pathetic.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA