DC United vs Atlanta Copy Cats

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John L, Sep 2, 2018.

1. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I think they have a point about the grass. I've mentioned it after the opener, and again yesterday, it doesn't look like the "A" list product, more like like a shag carpet. Big differences between Ireland and DC (for more than how the grass grows) but Crokepark is a lofty standard to match but it plays like a pool table.
    https://crokepark.ie/stadium/technology/pitch
    [​IMG]

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I honestly don't remember RFK getting floaded much; of course that Vancouver game getting postponed and another one a few years before but that's about it.

fatbastard repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, I would hope grass grows well in a damp, drizzly climate. The DC area in the summer is not easy on any type of turf.

Dizi, DCUSKINS, asitis and 2 others repped this.
  4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was the Houston game where people were swimming on the pitch, the RSL game that was postponed due to flooding, etc. I'm sure there are more.

We've already had a game with a massive, extended t-storm and no flooding at all. So for now, I give the edge to AF.

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It doesn't preclude having a first class surface given the skill and inclination to do so. Washington does host some major golf events and they are very particular about the fairways and greens so it is possible. It's not easy I agree, but paying the local kid to cut the grass with a broke assed mower isn't the answer and that's what it looks like they've done

6. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    I imagine the number of matches played over a short period has affected the pitch, as well. Soccer players don't always replace their divots.
    Another match tonight.

asitis

7. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Then again, doesn't the Maryland Soccerplex have award-winning turf? The micro-climate of Boyd, MD can't be that different

I'm still wondering about the checkerboard pattern of wet spots on the Audi pitch. Those aren't draining well at all.

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I think the soccerplex has 40 year head start

Dizi repped this.
  9. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Touche.
    But, we better get going on getting that pitch in shape.
    Our lease on Audi is only 40 years, max.

asitis repped this.
  10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    No question that it drains well.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I've still seen no evidence that the field isn't level other than a poster say it isn't.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I knew that third goal was going in once Acosta got isolated with Laurentowicz and I said so to the person next to me. My exact words were, "This should be funny."

dadman, shawn12011, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Benny has to have the best league record against Tata.

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Where did anyone say it wasn't level?

15. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long, wet grass could become a hallmark of AF and a competitive advantage, it only out of familiarity.

The Cubs used to leave their infield grass a little longer to help their crap pitchers. It was often noted and despised by opponents, so that's good.

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Baseball has groomed the turf forever to complement the strengths or mask the weaknesses of players. The Forbes Field ground crew used to breakfast at my uncle's restaurant and they discussed the daily grooming over coffee.

asitis and Winoman repped this.
  17. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wasn't expecting that result. Wonder why we didn't play like that against Philly...

Also, what the hell was up (extremely up...uncomfortably so) with Villalbas shorts? Is he incontinent?

Winoman repped this.
  18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Years ago when Alvin Dark managed the SF Giants, whenever they played the Dodgers at Candlestick while Maury Wills was playing for the Dodgers, the area around first base was watered down until it was a mudhole so Wills couldn't get a good jump to try to steal second base. The Dodger fans referred to Dark as the "Swamp Fox" and when the Giants played in Dodger Stadium, whenever Dark appeared, the fans made duck calls.

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  19. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two days' rest coming off a road game will slow a team down. Philadelphia had a whole week of rest and were at home before. Coach Curtin also did a good job preparing his team for DC United's close passing game in the middle of the field in front of goal. Keep your eye on NYC this Saturday as they'll be coming off two days' rest.

On the other hand, United matches up well with Atlanta, both on an individual level and a tactical level. Coach Martino has no Plan B and refuses to prepare his team for a specific opponent. If Plan A does not work, Atlanta goes right to whining. Or cussing the opposing coach. Or both.

roadkit, dadman, asitis and 2 others repped this.
  20. Cavan9

Cavan9 Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except it's bullsh$t that Atlanta fans who only watched the game on TV said to try to justify their team being played off the field in the second half. The field was fine and the players did not change their games at all because of it. None of the Atlanta fans in attendance said anything about it. They were spewing anti-Barco hot-takes.

The sprinklers cause condensation and that condensation was not evaporating due to the high humidity. The players did not notice or react to the condensation.

21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Philadelphia recently changed its ownership and there was some talk about Curtin being vulnerable. Obviously, he is a talented manager. I spoke with a well known soccer writer from Philly who is a strong supporter of Curtin, and he thought the victory over DC should help a lot in keeping him in place.

Cavan9 repped this.
  22. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Lets take anything that the Atlanta fans say in complaint about the game with pound of salt ... Other than OC's SGs running around threatening and doxing MLS officials, As a group, Atlanta's fans are the least informed and knowledge about the game. There were a handful of Atlanta fans sitting behind us in our section, they were ohhhing and ahhhhing throughout warm-up like it was World Cup final PKs. They thankfully left at halftime.

I've never seen someone bitch and complain to the officials as much as Guzan. It was over the top. I half expected him to come over to the field boxes and start whining to those people after the ref and AR dismissed him. Even after the final whistle, he was still whining to the refs. He should never play for the USMNT again.

DCUSA, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I told Mrs. Winoman "It looks like he's wearing Depends!" :D

stangspritzring and asitis repped this.
  24. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    There is zero drainage issue. The sprinklers are used each half just before the game starts, which is common in other stadiums. The difference here is that the water seems to be just a bit much for the type of grass used and it causes visible water on the grass (not pooling, just wet grass). I don't think it looks good, but obviously it impacts all players the same. As a player, wet surface makes for better slide tackles. The grass does seem a little high but again that impacts everyone the same.

ejs1111 and Cavan9 repped this.
  25. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Philly scored the first goal and we just wore ourselves out chasing the game. By scoring first against Atlanta, we could sit back and defend (for dear life) and look to counter.
    I think one of the reasons we've been reasonably successful against Atlanta is their lack of offensive discipline. They appear to attack without fear of consequence. Usually they're very successful.

asitis