PBP: DC United v Montreal 11-8

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, I think they're closer than some of you. I mean, they coughed up leads repeatedly, to me that's fixable. But at least they were finally manufacturing some chances and some goals. Not enough for my liking, but miles better than during Olsen's section of the season.
    Up 2-1 on Philly, up 2-0 on New England, up 2-1 on Montreal, couldn't hold any of them. The last two can be chalked up to not having first choice personnel all along the back line.
    For me, Flores is no better than Zoltan Stieber, but Stieber actually scored some goals. I'd start with looking to move him and spend that money elsewhere.

GumbyG and Eastern Bear repped this.
  2. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    This was the ending of the season we really needed. The team ended scoring goals and breaking even, showing they can win in the future. The close results and goal count against provides clear cover to quickly remove Ashton. Young players got some experience.

I mean, what else is there to say? We didn't deserve the playoffs so it doesn't bother me at all.

dadman, jjsocr, Theopisa and 4 others repped this.
  3. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flores isn't going anywhere.

sitruc, Theopisa and GumbyG repped this.
  4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. We didn't deserve the playoffs and not making them makes removing Ashton a no-brainer (though Goff's article has him on the list of the top 4 candidates). Now a cheap-ass ownership group may punt the coach search to 2022 believing that COVID will still cut into the offseason and early season bottom line making Ashton the coach for next season. That shouldn't happen and the team should hear from everyone that has followed this team so they know it wouldn't be acceptable. I still wouldn't put it past them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/11/09/dc-united-offseason-coaching-search/

I'm okay with Ellis or Hendrickson and Ezra is the top of my list. Looks like Kaspar is staying as he is part of the search committee. Olsen is as well.

Winoman repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Tenorio says the new coach likely will be Armas. Jill Ellis, I'm sure is following W.T. Sherman, "if offered the job, I will not accept, if selected, I will not coach." Nothing like the DCU annual dumpster fire to ruin a coach's reputation. Therefore DCU is either looking at first timers like Hendrickson who want any opportunity to coach, or recycled mediocrities like Chris Armas.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  6. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Whoever becomes coach should insist on a new GM. If Armas is the only one who doesn't, we are completely f'd.

Dizi, jjsocr, GumbyG and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Reading that Goff puff piece reminds me that he's just spooning what's fed to him by his "sources" at DCU. Unaddressed are questions of what kind of commitments coaches are demanding of DC United ownership. There is no mention of what kind of identity the team is trying to build (if any at all). Based on those candidates I'm guessing that the reason Sasho and other much better candidates aren't in the pool is because they would have demands. I suspect that "talent pool" is there precisely because they cannot/will not make any demands.

Dizi repped this.
  8. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I would be at all happy with a coach who receives no commitment from the ownership on bringing in quality players. I think we overachieved under Chad, but that player group won't succeed in the league, even under a top flight manager.

Dizi repped this.
  9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we're considering hiring the guy who got fired because he lost to the guy we just fired?

Did I get that right? I feel like that's not right. Is that sentence even allowed in English?

Did we fire Ben because he wasn't bad enough? Maybe I've been looking at this wrong the entire time.

nick, majspike, bigredfutbol and 5 others repped this.
  10. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Just relax and enter the peaceful void, don't worry, be happy............

song219, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes I agree with this, he is a big investement and considered what he has shown in the past other than this season, it's worth it giving him another season to try to show what he can do. Or at least till the summer transfer window, if you see that it really doesn't work out.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also read Seedorf's name in the article, his atrocious record speaks for him, at that point I'd rather take back Olsen for another 10 years, at least I know of what death I have to die.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also gave up my tickets after 23 years. For mostly the same reasons. The biggest being it was no longer fun to attend a match. You know the main reason to want to go, have fun.

fatbastard, TowsonDad and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    That’s what beer is for.

Winoman, griffin1108 and GumbyG repped this.
  15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the DCU ownership has been banking on that. And, in a stunning display of shortsightedness on their part, it has turned out that people can also drink at home.

dadman, shawn12011, bigredfutbol and 4 others repped this.
  16. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there's a weed store nearby, I may go back. :)

fatbastard and griffin1108 repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs a store? Just ask someone smoking outside Nats Park for some.

18. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sadly since I don't partake of either I am left to suffer........................:(

dadman and Winoman repped this.
  19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC legalized Shrooms, right? That may be the only way to watch DC play next season.

MattR, Theopisa, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Is anybody else alarmed by this? I was disappointed by DKs involvement but it seemed par for the course if he's keeping his job. At least he knows the league...our ownership may not feel qualified to make the decision alone.

But Olsen? How is he unqualified to lead the team but able to select a replacement?

Am I missing something here?

Theopisa, Eastern Bear, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  21. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well if one of the leading candidates, Chris Armas, is a guy that Olsen beat and lost his job because of it, then everything else makes sense. Right?

Theopisa, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Belichek was recycled mediocrity after he left Cleveland and went to New England

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    DK knows Calvin Rules. He shouldn't scout or pick the talent. But he knows what maneuvers can be made to get the talent. Or what can't be done, so bother trying.

GumbyG repped this.
  24. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    No, Belichek was the defensive coordinator for a Super Bowl winner. His Cleveland teams were improving before he went to New England. Armas was an assistant at RBNY and had one head coaching gig where Olsen outcoached him. Big difference. Also, Armas played midfield like Olsen did after his ankle injuries. All grit, but little style.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wouldn't mind having him as part of the front office. The front office needs to drastically expand to keep up with the rest of the league.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.