Pre-match: DC United v Charlotte

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rooney said they had trouble with crosses all game. Is he pinning that on Romo? Probably everybody is bad right now. Maybe it's only me, but I think HInes-Ike has been very bad in the air all season and the defense will probably improve with Pines in that way, but of course he can't play the ball like Hines-Ike and he's fairly likely to have some horrible gaffe.

Rooney also said he thought they controlled play and I hope he's not serious because they created nothing and weren't a threat. Charlotte won at a trot.
    I want to be patient, but I thought this was a regression from the second half of Orlando. Maybe they were tired, but they looked slow from the jump.

I understand the idea of Morrison playing deeper, whether that's Rooney directing him or Ravel making the call, but I don't really love his style there. He does calm the team, and he gets everyone in a good spot, but he doesn't want to turn it up field with a pass or dribble. It becomes ponderous, ending in a long ball from Romo that could've been done 6 passes before. I think Morrison is better as an attacker, as you saw him really go at people with the dribble right down the middle and we don't have that. Hopefully Palsson can free up Ravel.

GumbyG repped this.
  2. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Thanks Hernan

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Why does everyone seem to think that Rooney will be able to successfully implement his system instantly while with any other manager we give up to a half season?
    DCU is going to suck for the rest of '22.

4. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone? Or no one?

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There were so many high expectations I didn't bother quoting anyone in that would suggest that the poster was any more guilty than others on this forum.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    From most of this crowd, any enthusiastic expressions of belief/faith that Rooney's hiring would result in a sudden/instant turn-around should have been taken at best as sarcasm. :)

7. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think most of us have been suffering from Buzzard Point Syndrome since the move.

griffin1108, shawn12011 and PSURoss repped this.
  8. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    I’ll take ownership of a glass-quarter-full outlook. I’m on record being cautiously optimistic that the Rooney bump is not a dead cat bounce — e.g.: Chad Ashton’s first result — and that, coupled with our recent acquisitions, helps us avoid the Spoon this season.

But nobody on this board is picking us to make the playoffs. Even the most wildly optimistic scenarios require us to win 9 of our remaining 13 games, and we know that isn’t going to happen.

So, on reflection, I’m throwing the BS flag on this one. This is a strawman if ever I saw one. We will suck for 2022, and I think everyone acknowledges that. Where we’re potentially diverging is on the depths or our suckitude for this year, and whether any hope is warranted for 2023.

I think the jury’s very much out on both of those last two metrics. And for that, I’ll lay claim to one finger’s worth of whiskey in my glass, thank you very much.

Winoman repped this.