PBP: DC United v Atlanta Silverbacks 9-20-23

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by song219, Sep 19, 2023.

1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pirani can be inconsistent but I think he’s a keeper for next year. Especially at only 20.

dadman, Freestyle2000, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  2. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice one time ball from Asad to find Klich on that goal.

Winoman repped this.
  3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    they are really making this hard

4. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Terrible officiating, terrible team, terrible result.

Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  5. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply a less than average team. They do this, they need to win and they falter. Three straight games they probably should have won, they win none of them.

PSURoss and Winoman repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    1 worthless point.

Winoman repped this.
  7. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Every point is sacred,
    Every point is great.
    If a point is wasted,
    God gets quite irate!

JRHokie, GumbyG, dadman and 5 others repped this.
  8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United and Atlanta had the same number of shots on goal, 4. United had 19 shots. Atlanta had 6. Fajardo's shots were incredibly unbelievable for that level.

Yowza, GlennAA11 and Winoman repped this.
  9. Etch10

Etch10 Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    #59 Etch10, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    It sounded like they yelled three times. How better to show respect for the nation than making the anthem all about a fan cheer

GlennAA11 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Etch10

Etch10 Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    From where we were sitting, it seemed pretty clear to me that the first goal where the ball was turned over looked like a shove down to get it that was massively egregious. It’s not like the right call there would’ve automatically changed the final result, but when it seems that obvious, it gets annoying.

sitruc, Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  11. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just embarrassing finishing. Fajardo ... I mean, he's helping create chances, but we're talking Conteh wasteful. Curtis wasteful. ... Pajoy wasteful? At least we did seem like the better team for long stretches tonight, but if we finish out of the playoffs by a point, this is one of those matches you rue.

I hope we keep Pirani. I don't think you build around him, but he seems like the type who has a lot to show when he's surrounded by better players.

sitruc, anotherfan, Yowza and 1 other person repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bad/problematic poem set to an old foreign drinking tune. It might be okay to play with it a bit.

13. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son isn’t a real big sports fan, but to the extent he likes any sport, soccer is his favorite. But like I said, he doesn’t watch a lot of sports.

But he’s smart and can read body language, and late in the first half he told me that whenever DC attacked, it looked like they knew it wasn’t going to work. If he were an English football announcer he would have said they lack self belief.

It was an insightful comment.

It’s only one game, but Fajardo was unspeakably bad. Is he a loan?

Daniel le Rouge2, Winoman, Yowza and 6 others repped this.
  14. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Well, we do have the inevitable off season roster purge to look forward to...

Daniel le Rouge2, DCU, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  15. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    There's a club option for Fajardo next year.

Their body language all season is horrible. They don't do well with adversity in general. Just look after a goal, before kickoff, they all stand with their heads down, hands on their hips, it's almost 100% of them all the time. Like everyone knows they're not going to get the goal back, which is likely more often than not. The only guy with any backbone that this team has had recently was Palisson who we either sat or played out of position, even if he played RB with Iceland. I'll bet he was thrilled to hop a flight to Liege, even if they're in the bottom half of the table, it has to be a better spot than here.

BTW, yet another scoreless first half.

superdave repped this.
  16. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    #66 PSURoss, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Eh, not so much ... and somehow, you know we'll keep Asad. Even at $100k, he's over priced and taking minutes from a kid who will try. Ruan too probably. KDP definitely and he's the only option I'd like to see exercised. BHI is too injury prone at his price tag.

2024 Under Contract
    Benteke - DP
    Klich - DP
    Jeheze - DP
    Miller
    Bono
    Zamundio
    Dajome
    Hopkins
    Akinmboni
    Sargis
    Birnbaum
    Santos

2024 Club Option
    Najar
    Asad
    Robertha
    Ruan
    Davis
    Fajardo
    Samkae
    KDP
    BHI
    Ravel

He could be. We've got an option to buy him before 12/31, but you know we'll go back and try to renegotiate the fee like we always do in these situations ad screw the deal up.

Winoman repped this.
  17. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game last night. My main takeaways are that DCU gives the ball away so cheaply with errant passes and by getting dispossessed, and that our finishers can't finish worth a damn. So many shots way high, wide, or straight at the keeper.

Was painful to watch. Ugh.

Winoman, Yowza and dadman repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Echoes of Chris Albright before he was switched into a defender.

Winoman and dadman repped this.
  19. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll say it again..,they should convert Ruan into a Nagbeesque carrier of the ball from the back third to the final third. I think that fits his skill set…speedy, aggressive, and is good at settling passes.

And it gets him away from his weakness, namely, that final ball. (Although his crosses last night were good.)

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I didn't watch last night but I'll have to say, someone has been helping Ruan get better control on his crosses. They are at least into the box in the vicinity of our players. Not that we have people attacking the box other than Benteke or Ku-Dipietro...

21. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Every team has an off-season purge and refresh. It is the MLS way. There are several players on the under contract list that I could see traded, sent to USL, or transfered abroad. Plus the new manager will have some players they want...

GlennAA11 repped this.
  22. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fajardo is a tough one because I can see he’s a lot to handle and he’s kind of beasting out there but his shot is so wayward I’m not sure he’s benefitting the team.

Daniel le Rouge2, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a boxcar full of $100 bills and you're in a Thai whorehouse, I think we can say the problem is decision making rather than technique.

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that Pirani is any better than Yamil Asad. Yamil Asad isn't good enough to be on DC's bench. DC's bench is the worst in the league.

Ruan has been the only player on the team that's gotten better as the season went on. He'd be a MLS Best XI candidate at his position if he was playing for a good team. Having said that, his shot into the upper deck tonight was criminal. Don't even get me started on Fajardo.

VAR sucks. It's made MLS nearly unwatchable. I wasn't completely unhappy when the penalty was disallowed because if that had happened to DC, I'd have been irate. The defender is falling to the ground and the ball hit his arm; what is he supposed to do exactly? There's nothing that any defender could reasonably do to avoid that. On the other hand, the Apple TV crew seemed to think the penalty was overturned because of someone somewhere being offside. As far as I could tell, the only clearly offside player was Benteke who wasn't involved in the play in any meaningful way. Mystifying. Yet another example of VAR making the game worse. I'll just assume that some shadowy group of conspirators at MLS HQ wants unfashionable DC United outside of the playoffs and that they used VAR to further their aims because, hey, that makes as much sense as anything else.

Daniel le Rouge2, Yowza and revelation repped this.
  25. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    MLS HQ doesn't have to do any work to keep us out of the playoffs...