DC United to play Copa Sudamericana

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Peruco83, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Peruco83

Peruco83 Member+

May 8, 2005
    Hamden, CT
    Hey I just read that DC United accepted the invitation to play in this year's Copa Sudamericana against the winner of a Chilean Team against a Peruvian Team. How do you think DC United will perform, since they're not performing as well as last year, which area will you reinforce?

2. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Actually we are about as good as we were last year at this time with the exception of our finishing. We are a terribly inconsistent team. Usually we can score goals at home but we struggle terribly on the road. Given a healthy roster we should be able to do OK that first round.

3. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team is missing Ryan Nelsen, that's about all you need to know.

4. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    That's pretty simplistic, and while factually correct, fails to fully reflect the growth that the team has undergone since his departure.

5. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Say what?

You're saying that defense is our problem right now? With our third-best goals-against average?

6. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    I think the important thing is to just play well and show that USA has soccer and i'll be happy with a good showing a battle to the end not like the blow out in mexico... This is wonderful welcome MLS to CONMEBOL Events...

The bigger picture here is to reopen a competative relationship with conmebol some thing US Soccer has not even bother with since copa america 95...had US Soccer kept its willinness to play more conmebol events US Soccer would have an automatic place in copa america along with mexico...

Mexico has worked hard to have a good competative relationship with conmebol that now conmebol reserves automatic places for libertadores and copa sudamericana.. If MLS works at it as well MLS could be a permanent place in copa sudamericana and as time goes on and the MLS Conmebol continue to grow together as competative friends it will only mean MLS will also have a spot in Copa libertadores...

Concacrap is garbage currupt and laughable.. I would rather never win an international cup in Concacrap and be part of the conmebol events which have more prestigue and honor than any thing concacrap puts out...lus the international exposure is 100 times better when you win a conmebol cup the world knows about it when you win a concacrap cup you are lucky if others with in concacrap even know about it.... and thats the difference..