DC United Supporters in Diaspora: Let's talk about this board.

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by Knave, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    DC United Supporters in Diaspora: Let's talk about this board.

So we’ve got this board. Maybe we should talk about it a little. I’ve got some ideas about how this board could be used coming out of my own experiences in California, but I wanted to get some feedback and ideas from others around the country.

One of the things that really sucks if you’re a DC United supporter who’s moved away from DC is that it’s hard to find like-minded fans. And sometimes you just want to be around like-minded fans. If DC United is in town, then I want to sit with other DC United supporters. That, to me, is when it really hits you. I’ve been to games where I feel like I’m the only DC United supporter around. That can be really tough. But when you’re sitting with other supporters - what a difference that makes! Or even if there’s just a really big game on TV, I don’t really want to watch that alone. I want some other supporters around to share the experience (and to talk me out of varieties of self-destructive behavior if things go really badly). But all that can be pretty hard to come by if you leave DC. You all know this though, so I’m not going to drone on about it.

I wanted this board because I thought it might help DC United supporters in diaspora find each other, set up networks, and organize events a little more easily.

It's simple for a supporter in DC to hook up with other supporters. There's a steady stream of opportunities to become involved. But it's more difficult for a supporter who moves far from DC. Often they don't even know who's out there. As it was, threads catering to non-local supporters got lost very quickly on the board. So if you were a non-local supporter looking for other DC United fans in your area, you’d have a pretty tough time tracking them down. I thought it’d be really nice if some displaced DC United supporter could just stumble over to BigSoccer, and easily find out if there were any other supporters in his or her area.

We needed an archive, and maybe even an index. I think this sub-forum can serve both purposes. It’s going to be slow paced to begin with. Because of that it should be much more of a browse-able archive than the main board. That alone will help people find one another. I’d also like to set up an index thread with links to various regional threads.

There are already threads on Atlanta, Florida, Colorado and New York. (We should set one up for California. Or maybe two, northern and southern.) I hope others will pop up in time. I know that Philadelphia, Chicago, Texas, and the Carolinas all feature enclaves of DC United support. And there’s ursula in Portland too. So if there’s not already a thread for your area then please post one. It’s not in vain even if you don’t get any responses right away. It’s enough reason to post a thread for your area, just in order to set up an archive.

If you do live near an MLS city, and the DC United supporters clubs don’t regularly organize road trips there, then I hope you’ll step up and try to organize whatever support you can for DC United when they come to town. In California we’ve had good success, particularly at HDC, doing that these last few years. Usually the supporters clubs step up at least for games against the Metros, the Revs and Columbus. But out here in the hinterlands, there’s often no organized support for DC United. Maybe this board can help to change that. That too is something we perhaps can talk about here.

So that’s about it for my ideas. What do you think? What would you as a supporter "abroad" like to see here? How can this board help you?

The floor is yours.
    Post away …

2. mikeb3142

mikeb3142 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Pasadena CA
    I agree. I think setting up some sort of local network is a good idea.

3. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    This is a great idea. Many teams from around the world - have fan clubs spread across the continents on an alphabetical list.

USA
    DC United supporters
    Western Pennsylvania Chapter
    Pittsburgh, PA
    email: Therechargers@yahoo.com
    TV/Pubs: Piper's Pub (FSC), Hemmingway’s (ESPN/ESPN2)

Don't know if this is what you had in mind knave.

4. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have actually encountered another DCU fan here in frozen Fargo. I would love to know if there are any in Minnesota.

Road trips:
    1. Chicago: 10 hours drive.
    2. Kansas City: I estimate 8.
    3. Colorado: It's gotta be 14 hours. Anybody driven it?

Anything else is too far to drive.

5. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was able to see DC live for the first because of this board...(ChivasUSA), it was a great time, and I hope to see more games in the Golden State(If I only had a car).

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you live in the Great Plains--driving long distances to get someplace else is the price you pay for the great weather and beautiful scenery. ;)

7. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knave, it might be a nice idea to keep this section as a location finder, and the larger board for people to search and gather fellows fans in their neck of the woods... (and you can delete the above once you read).

[​IMG]

DC United Supporters - Atlanta Chapter

Email: joshuabarbieri@bellsouth.net
    Time: We arrive usually one hour before. We are inside, to the left.
    Note: Under 18 are not allowed to sit within a smoking bar in Atlanta.

8. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Riverside/San bernardino/Ontario(CA) fans know any soccer friendly bars out here?

9. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    So..... Laramie, WY?

Thought not. Guess I'll have to drive to Denver. *sigh* :rolleyes:

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be 100% on topic, but while on vaction in the Adirondacks, I found a nice sports restaurant/bar that actually switched the BIG SCREEN from a baseball game (Houston/Cubs, I think) to the USA/T&T match. (I know, they probably wouldn't have done it if the Yankees or Mets were playing, but what the hey.) I didn't know they were there or I would have gone there to watch the DCU/Chitcago match!

They had some decent beers and decent food. If you're ever in North Creek, NY (NW of the town of Lake George), I recommend "Casey's - North."

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Me and Mr Hanki are in Ft Collins

12. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I actually drove down from Laramie to watch the Rapids game a few weeks ago... I probably saw you there!

We're done for this year obviously, but we should hook up next year, or if you are thinking of hosting an MLSCup-watching party.... ;)

13. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Buffalo :) Still fly down once a year for a match only an hour flight.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Here's another for Buffalo, obviously

15. FKASCSN

FKASCSN Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Checking in from Columbia, SC

16. roachboy

roachboy New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Baile atha cliath
    Erm......well.........if any of you guys are ever in Dublin you can always come to my place and watch the net feed!

My missus is from DC and we were both barra brava until last year.

17. rjpowell

rjpowell New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Syracuse, NY fan here & I know that there are a few more lurking out there.

Hey Roachboy! I will be in Dublin just before the New Year. My wife is from Dublin & we will be spending Christmas in Ennis and New Year's in Dublin, followed by a few days in Glasgow. I have debating on which hat to wear over - DC United or Celtic FC.

Rick

18. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    currently oxford, england but soon to be in athens, georgia.

19. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I never would have guessed. :p

20. realfootballinathens

Apr 27, 2006
    Athens, GA
    as you can tell from my user info i'm living in athens, ga...noticed someone else from their was a united supporter too....any others out there from the athens area who support united? maybe at some point we could get enough people to get someone at a local bar to let us watch united games on tv, if and when they are shown on espn2 (as no bar seems to have any subscriptions satelite channels devoted to soccer)

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Lurker here!!!

Seriously rj,

Are there enough of us in upstate NY to get some sort of supporter's group together to molest the local population?

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We're like the Sopranos. Once you're in, you're in for life. Ain't no getting out.

23. roachboy

roachboy New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Baile atha cliath
    Glad to hear it!!!

We are just getting our hoodies in the post courtesy of Jeff Forbes/Srdan. Hoping to make some games late summer!

24. EL SANTO 1967

EL SANTO 1967 New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    SANTA ANA
    New To The Board And New To Soccer.but I Will Be A Dc United Fan.live Here In Cali Can't Wait To Take In Some Games Here In Socal.will Be Going To Chivas Game With The Family Hope To See Dc Fans There.

25. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

El Santo, as the game approaches, get in contact with us. I will most likely be attending that game, and I'm 99% sure Knave will be there, and will probably set up a group purchase as per Galaxy games and last years Chivas game.