DC United Magic Number Thread (2007 Edition)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sundevil9, Sep 2, 2007.

1. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I went to watch them play Harbor View, a club team, when it was soooo cold my beer froze. Coffee up cowboy -- whoever they play, we should be there to support the team. Especially in the playoffs.

2. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    My criteria is simple:
    1. Always try to go to 1st and last home game
    2. Always try to go to important games (like last game against NE, not Beckham one). That includes playoffs.
    3. Avoid Weekday matches (I go with a large group usually, including my 2 kids under 4 years of age)
    4. Avoid going to the stadium with mom or wife if playing against a team with Diaz Arce in it (ok, maybe that is old criteria, but my family was attacked by "fans" because we wore DCU shirts to RFK in a section full of drunkards)
    5. If DCU in MLS Cup, try to go (I have been to 3 of the 5)
    6. If playing in Germantown... no excuse to miss match
    7. If playing International match, try to go. Even if weekday match (without wife and kids).
    8. Always watch games on TV if not attending in person

And finally, the likelihood of my attendance increases when playing against a good team. That applies to the criteria above since I do not follow it 100%

There you go... Not sure if that means you will ignore my messages or not. I guess if you ignore my messages then you will not write to tell me you are ignoring me? This is all very confusing.

3. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naah, my comment was mostly tongue in cheek (slightly sarcastic). It's just that given my family situation and how far away I live, it's hard to attend matches, so I go see them whether they are playing Joe Public or Real Madrid when I have the opportunity. Everyone is different ... For instance, I think some people believe its a benefit to live in the US. ;) just kidding, just kidding.

Oh, and the "ignore" function allows you not to see the posts of a person you think is an idiot or a troll and that's what I was referring to.

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    So Chicago and FC Dallas tied last night which gives us the following #s heading into this weekend:

Chivas - 13
    NE - 11
    Houston - 8
    FC Dallas - 6
    New York - 3
    KC - 2

The key thing is that we can clinch a spot in Superliga this weekend. We also have two games were we are guaranteed to pick up points on someone in this list:

NY vs NE
    KC vs Chivas

As much as it pains me to say this [shivers] I am routing for NY and KC this weekend.

5. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an ugly thought, I can not actively root for NY. Although it is not optimal I will be cheering for ties and injuries. Not career ending injuries but season ending injuries and maybe some fights with 5 or 6 game suspensions.

6. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Young man, have you lost your mind!?!

A tie will do both of the harm (in fact while New England will miss out on 3 points if they lose, a tie will make them lose 2 points, which is almost as good).

So a tie and lots of yellows is the answer (don't let that dirty thought ever cross your mind again!).

7. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not rooting for NY. I'm not rooting for NY. But I am rooting for NE to drop 3 points......I'm just going to ignore who gets the three points from that.

8. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    There's a lot more margin for error w/ NYRB. We need them to knock down NE who is the most serious threat after Chivas.

I'm rooting for NY this weekend. Along with a complement of reds and yellows that would do Stuart Dougal proud. A few hamstring pulls and sprained ankles wouldn't hurt (me) either.

9. AMERICANS SC

AMERICANS SC New Member

Feb 1, 2005
    What is the world coming to when two of DC United most dedicated fans are rooting for RBNY!?!

Yielding 1 point to NE in a tie will help DC United on their march towards the SS.

I do agree with you however with the last part of your post! :D

10. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    We are mercenaries in the cold light of day. I am solely interested in whatever outcome benefits DCU the most. Sometimes I have to hold my nose for the duration, but there it is.

Yes, but I think yielding them none helps us more.

11. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I am lazy - assuming for a second no three way ties - who holds the tie breakers in each instance.

Chivas - Us
    New England - Us
    Houston - tied (not sure what comes after head to head)
    Dallas - Us
    NY - Us
    KC - Up in the air (1 win a piece with one game remaining)

That means only Houston or KC would win a tie breaker which essentially shaves 1 pt off everyone's magic number.

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You are right. What I really need for mental peace is a hypnotist to hypnotize me immediately following the NJ - NE game so I have no memory of rooting for NJ.

13. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Goal differential comes next, which means we have a slight edge over Houston as well, as we're +20 and they're +17.

14. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Doug- I can't find the link but I am almost positive that its goal differential. Ah- here it is:

http://web.mlsnet.com/standings/

EDIT: Toomanywords beat me too it!

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but come on -- Jersey's number compared to us is three, while KC's is two. We don't need Jersey or KC to lose -- we can take care of those small numbers all by ourselves (I mean, surely you believe we'll get at least three points over the next five matches, right?). New England and KC, on the other hand . . .every point counts when it comes to them, as our margin of error on our own results is only two points with respect to Chivas, and only four with respect to New England. Draws are not preferable to losses for NE and Chivas.

16. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Absolutely. Just because I want NE to loose at the hand of the RedBulls doesn't mean I still can't wish that the entire RedBulls team gets food poisoning at the hotel later that night. ;)

17. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    That's the best you can do? I wish everyone but JPA gets food poisoning, they then have to re-sign Guevara, Guevara gets so pissed off that JPA is the true star of the team that he drop kicks him in the chest. JPA then decides he has had enough of the swamp team and demands a trade to DC. JPA and Emilio pair up with "Old Bay" Veron to win the next five MLS Cups and take turns breaking each other's MLS All-Time Scoring record each week as they rotate notching a hattrick each week.

18. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    ...Making DCU profitable enough that they can build a new stadium out of petty cash... and buy a special plane to take supporters to away games in places like Colorado or LA... or South America... or the next world club championships... which we will be in... and dominate...

<Cue Howard Dean scream here>

19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we lose tomorrow, we drop out of first in the Supporters' Shield race.

Fsck.

20. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    No worries, since DC is going to pound the Firelings mercilessly. And NE was kind enough to yield a late goal to the orange steers and concede a couple of more points in the race.

21. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if we lose today we still are in first.

Chivas has 47 points and five games possible 62 points

are magic number is 14

we have 49 points going into today's game, and could get 64 points if we win out.

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win out -- including today. If we lose today, and win out after that, we're at 61, not 64, and that's one less than if Chivas wins out. Of course, it's unlikely either team will win out; but if we lose today, we'll be ahead of Chivas by two points but they'll have a game in hand, so we'll need help from Chivas if we're to win the SS. That's all anyone is saying.

23. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if we win today we will be 5 up on chivas, but chivas will have a games in hand.

if we lose today we will be up by two, but chivas has a game in hand.

24. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

25. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    OK you mathletes...

We tied, which puts us at 50. That's good for our magic number against Chivas I think but not much. Still need to win out or as much as possible.

KC just lost to LA. They're out of SS, no?