DC United Magic Number Thread (2007 Edition)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sundevil9, Sep 2, 2007.

1. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I can understand people's concern. I don't personally put much stock in past encounters, particularly since both teams have undergone coaching changes and extensive roster shake-ups, but I don't mean to characterize the issue as silly.

The two games DC has left against Chicago will tell us if my lack of concern is justified or not. If DC wins those, Chicago will be unlikely to end up 4th. If not, then I probably should have been worried.

2. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    We just gained two points on Chivas for the SS. NE can still reach 60. Chivas 62. FCD maxes out at 57 now. Houston still on 59.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the same exact thing that people told me in 2005, before the 2nd leg match, telling me that it would be an easy victory ........ you know, right before the team got rolled 4-0 at home. The fact of the matter is that whomever is in charge of that team can point to their teams results against us (while the underdog no less) as a rallying cry to pump them up against DC again. Noone who is in charge in DC's locker can say anything positive about matching up with Chicago. Plus, the team has to answer questions all week about why they can't beat Chicago in an elimination situation. The psychological can be just as important as the physical, and until this team scraps out a win when it matters against Chicago, I'm going to continue taking Chicago seriously.

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Just to note that we max out at 64. Our magic number to eliminate Chivas is 14 and our magic number to eliminate New England is 12. We have 5 games to go, for a maximum of 15 points.

Chivas upcoming matches:

KC
    Chicago
    @RSL
    @FCD
    Colorado
    Houston

Total matches = 6

New England Upcoming Matches
    @ RBNY
    Colorado
    @ Chicago
    Columbus
    @Toronto

Between Colorado and Chicago is the USOC final in Dallas.

Total matches = 6

Our schedule
    @Chicago
    Toronto
    @KC
    Chicago
    Columbus
    Between Chicago and Toronto we have Chivas (Guad.) at home and then play them away between Toronto and KC.

Total matches = 7 with 4 in a 13 day span.

Analysis: We have the most difficult schedule down the stretch, with two matches against Chicago, a tough visit to KC and a jacked-up Columbus team probably playing for their playoff lives. October 20 (out last game and Chivas' as well) could be a tense day, with all of us running out to RFK and then finding a TV to catch Chivas-Houston.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Abso********inglutely. It's kind of like the hold the US has over Mexico.

Sachin

6. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    The only positive thing I could hope for having Chicago in the playoffs is that in the current format, they will have to head out West to play someone out there...

Better one of them than us.

Much like Dallas dreads Colorado, the last team I want to come up against in the playoffs is the Fire.

Period.

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So compared to Sundevil9's post of 12 September, we have:

New England keeps pace
    Metrodonkeys drop two
    KC keeps pace
    Cowlumbus drops three
    Chicago drops two
    Toronto drops two
    Houston keeps pace
    Dallas drops three
    Chivas drops two
    Crapids drops two
    RSL drops two
    LA drops three

Wednesday brings us LA@RSL, which is meaningless.

Thursday brings us Chicago @ Dallas. From the point of view of the SS, a Chicago win would be best. From the point of view of keeping Chicago out of the playoffs, a Dallas win would be best. So maybe a draw is the best.

Next Saturday:
    - Cowlumbus @ Toronto -- a Cowlumbus win fscks with Chicago.
    - New England @ the Red Metrodonkeys -- a Metrodonkey win would probably be best, but it's hard to root for that; so a draw so they both lose points compared to us, please.
    - Colorado @ RSL -- the only meaning here is in Colorado v. Chicago for the 8th playoff spot and 4th in the west.
    - KC @ Chivas -- a KC win here helps us against Chivas' SS hopes, plus helps keep Chicago from finding a way to sneak into the Eastern bracket.

8. SavannahFan

SavannahFan New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    RFK Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Question: Did Houston clinch today (the playoffs that is)

IMO I'd really like to see them drop in the western standings, so that they do not have home court advantage in the playoffs.

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated 16 September 2007.

Summary: United is currently idle. Chicago eliminated themselves from catching United on 15 September with their tie with NY.

Code:
    Eastern Conference:
    Team             Magic Number 
    New England            12
    NYRB                   4
    KC                     3
    Columbus              -5   <<Can Not Catch DC United - 12 Sept 2007 >>
    Chicago                0  <<Can Not Catch DC United - 15 Sept 2007 >>
    Toronto               -9     <<Can Not Catch DC United - 8 Sept 2007>>

Western Conference:
    Team             Magic Number
    Houston                9
    FC Dallas              9
    Chivas USA             14
    Colorado               -4   <<Can Not Catch DC United - 12 Sept 2007>>
    Salt Lake             -11   <<Can Not catch DC United - 8 Sept 2007>>
    LA                     -7  <<Can Not Catch DC United - 12 Sept 2007>>

The week ahead:
    United will remain idle until Sunday. But either a United win or KC loss will eliminate KC from catching United. Also NYRB is teetering on making United impossible to catch.

5 teams must be eliminated to clinch a playoff berth. << 12 Sept 2007 >>
    5 Eastern Conference teams must be eliminated to clinch a #2 Seed.
    All Eastern Teams must be eliminated to clinch the conference.
    All Teams must be eliminated to clinch the Supporters' shield.

The magic number is the combination of points needed to be won by United or dropped by other teams. When United wins a game, 3 points are deducted from all teams magic number, when another team loses 3 points is deducted from it's magic number. A United tie results in one point deducted from all, other team ties result in 2 points deducted from it's total. A particular team can no longer catch United when their magic number reaches 0.

Around the league: New England, Houston, and Chivas have clinched playoff berths.

10. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    My biggest fear right now is that our games with Chivas (Mexico) would end up tiring us out, allowing Chivas (LA) to catch and pass us for the SS.

I don't want to see a tired DCU team lose to both Chivasses and get bounced in the playoffs.

I hope we have enough gas in the tank for what promises to be a challenging stretch run. Maybe not pretty, but that's my concern...

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it matters to our possible outcomes, but how did RSL drop from -5 after our match on the 12th to -11 now? We haven't played since then, and they only played once, and drew that game. Was there a mistake in your post from the 12th? What did I miss?

12. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's just the magic of being RSL?

13. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Sometimes it may not make sense but one team seems to have the other team's number during playoffs and unfortunately Chicago has ours. They just match up or play a style that we just can't seem to overcome.

I would be just as soon ok with Chicago going out west or playing New England.

14. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the -5 was wrong. If you find my post before that, you'll see RSL at -3 entering the game against United. So -3 for United winning, -3 for RSL losing and another -2 for their exhilarating tie with Toronto, and you get -11 now.

Also, RSL has 19 points now, with a maximum of 37, while United currently has 49 points. 37-49+1 = -11

Purely academic. But I missed it on my last update. :eek:

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they did.

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    this reminds me of metro fans that get all excited every April while rest of us laugh at them :)

17. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Honestly everyone being afraid of Chicago has gotten old. If the team plays afraid they deserve to lose. I have full confidence in this team and I am not afraid of them meeting Chicago in the playoffs.

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not half as old as our getting our nuts stomped into a pulp by them every. single. time. we play them in a meaningful match. When our team gives me a reason to think that Chicago doesn't have our number, I'll stop wanting to avoid them in meaningful matches.

19. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Shouldn't we all want Chicago to lose just because that rat********er Blanco is on their team?

20. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland

Yea!!! You never know what he is going to do. Makes his team a very big danger in the playoffs. I would be very worried to play them... but confident none the less

21. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Chivas would have to lose 3 more points than Houston to finish in 2nd in the Western conference at this point. Chivas controls their destiny in the Western conference. Not Houston. Although Houston still plays RSL and LA to finish out the season and have 3 of 4 on the road. I believe it will come down Houston playing Chivas in LA for the conference title.

22. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    I want Chicago for the playoffs opener in RFK. If we cant handle them at home, then we are not good enough.

Also, I much rather play them than Colorado or Columbus. Those teams are barely watchable, so I wouldnt be so inclined to go to the stadium for that game. I guess it is a matter of preference, but hypothetically, if we beat Chicago in the playoffs opener, I feel much better about our MLS Cup chances than after eliminating other teams...

23. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to pretend that this is what you posted so I don't have to put you on my ignore list. Do you really decide whether to go to RFK based on who we are playing????

24. bouncingsoul44

bouncingsoul44 New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to note, Chivas has actually not yet clinched a playoff berth. Colorado has a maximum of 44 points, which is even with Chivas, and if they were to beat Chivas when they play them they would be tied in head-to-head (leaving the differential, which they could obviously still succeed on).

So basically, if Chivas was to lose every one of their next games, and Colorado win every one and get the correct GD, they would beat out Chivas. Unlikely? EXTREMELY highly so. Impossible, no.

Just wanted to point it out, makes me feel better somehow that they don't actually have it clinched (although realistically they do).

25. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    It ain't Big Soccer that will keep the team from winning. I don't believe in superstitions.