DC United is still best in MLS : MLSNET article

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by newXgate, Apr 19, 2004.

1. "Despite the Saturday's results, D.C. United is still the best team in MLS after three weekends of play". According to MLSNET hack Andy Pavon, that is. Not sure if I agree, and the rest of the article doesn't quite back up this rather debatable opening statement, but it is an interesting read nonetheless.

Full article is at http://www.mlsnet.com/content/04/pavon0419.html.

2. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    That article is ridiculous. One of the reasons why your midfield has looked so good is because of Moreno getting involved, but he suggests benching Moreno.
    Interesting logic.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think that you think it's ridiculous is b/c he didn't say your team was the best in MLS. And the point you cite is a bit out-of-context. Pavon's point is that Moreno and Adu don't mesh well as a pair b/c both want the ball at their feet and would prefer to play behind a front-runner or target (which might be Cerritos or Eskandarian). I'm not sure I agree with that with that analysis (I think Moreno can play well with his back to goal) but numerous folks on this board have argued that Adu would pair better with Eskandarian than Moreno.

Also, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to argue the DCU midfield has looked good primarily b/c Moreno is "getting involved." The DCU midfield has looked good for a couple of reasons:
    --a very high workrate (that has outrun and outworked almost every midfield they've faced);
    --clear roles and lots of attacking;
    --strong play by Brian Carroll (which has freed up others in midfield to go forward);
    --the ability of Convey, Kovalenko, Olsen and Stewart to switch positions (something that caused tremendous problems for SJ).

4. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC

1st, Metro has nothing to do with my opinion of his article. Thats why i didnt mention them.
    2nd, I didnt say the Moreno was the "primary" reason your midfiled looked good. I said he was A reason. The fact that he comes back and theres so much overlap allows him to use his great possession skill. Its like having a 6 man midfield with no loss of forward presence.
    I guess my main point is that its ridiculous that hes willing to bench Moreno just to get Adu to start. If he feels Moreno and Adu cant play together, I cant see how hed pick Adu to start over Moreno. Moreno/Esky combo has been great.

5. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I also think the idea of benching Moreno because Cerritops would be a better pairing for Adu is silly and for a couple of reasons.

- Moreno and Cerritos are actually pretty similar type players with Moreno better offensively and Cerritos able to add a bit of defensive help. Thus it makes sense to have Cerritos come off the bench (because of the defensive bit).

-Adu would pair well with Moreno for the same reasons why Quaranta has historically paired well with Moreno. Both Adu and Q1 look to finish what Jaime starts. Both Adu and Q1 also have the ability to feed fellow players like Jaime or Esky too.

Moreno is very important to this team. He's the MVP so far, no question. He can't yet last 90 minutes, but he's getting better. I'm copasetic with the idea of now it's time to start Fred with Moreno. I'm more worried with what Nowak's gonna do in the second half when the team tires a bit from it's absolutely frenetic first half pace (until the fitness level goes up more.)

6. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keep in mind we havent played colorado, kc, or columbus yet which is 6 points at worst.

7. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado can cause problems on the attack. Spencer is dangerous every time he touches the ball. Columbus could be a problem if they ever got their collective heads out of their buckeyes. Haven't seen KC, so can't comment.

I think 6 points from those three matches is achievable, but by no means guaranteed.

8. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    From what I've heard it doesn't sound like KC is playing very attractive, attacking soccer. Kind of like what we played like under Hudson.

9. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    KC has never played attractive, attaching soccer. At least they didn't in any of the games I've watch them play (Live or on TV). The loss of Preki has pretty much stunted that team until his return.

10. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    It's so early in the season it's barely worth debating, but I think that the Metrodonkeys have been the best so far. 2 games, 2 wins, 6 goals...can't ask for much more than that.

Having said that, Columbus looks pretty bad this year so that was an easy 3 points, whereas DC has faced tough opponents in each game so far. It will be interesting to see this season unfold but I think it may be the first year that both Metro and DC have good teams in the same season.

11. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I was thinking the same thing. This season could raise the rivalry to new heights.

12. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Definitely. As well as DC has played, and they have played well especially compared to last year, NY looks to be in mid-season form. Granted Columbus was weak against them NY dominated and thrashed them which is the mark of a good team in beating the teams they should beat. DC would be the next best team right now. Dallas looks pretty good also, after watching their game against Chicago I was impressed with their play.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While the season has gotten off to a promising start, I hope the guys on the team don't buy into this. If anything the games against the Gals and the scum have showed that we need to play a complete 90 minutes. They need to continue to work hard, defend better and learn to put teams away. Columbus, NY or Man U. it doesn't matter. They need to string some solid victories together and develop that winning mentality.

Warren and Rimando need to push each other, Adu needs to work himself into the attack and we need to finish each and every scoring opportunity that presents itself. And oh yeah, scoring off a set piece or corner would be nice too.
    Much work needs to be done......

14. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except, except, except....

For the first 45 minutes, we played them off the field. We could have easily been up 2-0. At the Meadowlands. At their home opener. If that's their midseason form, I'm glad, because I think we'll get better.

I say this because I believe we lost the match rather than the Metros winning it. (Not sure that makes sense, but I know what _I_ mean. ;) )

I'd say overall the Metros are a better team because they have a better GK and a marginally better defense.

15. While I like the soccer we have been playing I think our record is fair. We deserved to win against San Jose. I think we should of lost in LA even though we played very well. We were lucky the Shasha Victorine didn't put away the corner kick at the end of the half and that thier rookie missed two sitters in the last 10 minutes. I thought we were lucky to escape LA with a tie. Having said that we deserved a tie with NY/NJ as Stewart and Eski should of scored on their breakaway and the game should of ended 3-3.

As painfull as this is to say I think the scum are going to be the team to beat this year. Vaca looks like he wants to play, they have a good goal keeper, Thier play maker Guevara(spelling?) is very good even though he dives and cries. Also they have fowards coming out of thier arse as they have two very good ones riding the pine waiting for work permits and then the Fabian Taylor pops up and he ain't too bad either. Also thier coach Cheating Bob is pretty good a cheating (finding) his way to wins.

-The Far Side

16. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I can see that. I find that a team with the ability to be completely outplayed in one half and then come out and win the game in the next half to be a little farther along. Sure DC had something to do with it as we came apart. It has to do with confidence, chemistry and a cohesive team spirit. These are the intangibles that can really define a team a lead to long term success. DC is regaining their confidence, still needs some work on their chemistry and have a pretty good team spirit. NY right now, I don't see as being deficient in any of the three categories which is why they have the current edge. If they're in mid-season form, I see it as a problem because while they have a shorter growth curve, who's to say that their peak still won't be higher than our peak even though we have farther to go. It's very early to see what the final product of both teams will be but as well as DC has done, I think NY's initial form has been better. That can all change in 4 weeks or when MLS is in the middle of the season when the sun becomes scorching and the mid-season malaise sets in.

17. NewRevsFan

NewRevsFan New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    I think DC has shown glimses of being the best team in MLS but they aren't quite there until they play with the same intensity for a full 90 minutes.

18. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Last time I checked, DC United was the second best team in its division.

The season is young, we shall overcome.

Tim