News: DC United hires Wayne Rooney to be head coach

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pr0ner, Jul 10, 2022.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, he's absolutely a $1M player in MLS. He definitely demonstrated that in Atlanta, and he mostly demonstrated it here. And I am sure other teams beyond Vancouver would see value in his services at that salary.

2. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    That Pablo Maurer article is blistering. Love it. Need more x10 to get rid of the clown management.

Winoman repped this.
  3. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    He earns roughly the same base salary as Reynoso from Minnesota. If Gressel is worth a million, Reynoso is worth 3x that.

Also, Vancouver is the DCU of the West. I'm not so sure others are wanting Gressel at that salary.

4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    San Jose is the DC of the West

MattR, JRHokie and GlennAA11 repped this.
  5. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Pablo’s article was definitely blistering. That’s not a good sign despite all of the moves. This team could become a quality side with the right moves and acquisitions, but there’s a LOT of missing pieces. It’s too much of a stretch for me to have faith in this front office to get the job done.

I think the best outcome we can hope for is a few better performances, avoiding the Spoon, and setting Wayne up for some modest level of success next year.

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Maybe Wayne knows some heavy hitters who could buy out Levien.

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maybe the guy who was looking to buy Derby County.

anotherfan repped this.
  8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The logistics dude Chris Kirchner, who couldn’t transfer the cash?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/oth...-derby-county-bid/ar-AAZF5IR?fromMaestro=true

The American businessman struggled to transfer his own cash which was needed as part of the takeover agreement.
    This update comes after Sports Agency Triple S reportedly covered Kirchner’s payment of the staff’s payroll worth £1.68m.The administrators were allegedly aware of this agreement with Triple S as well as being aware that Kirchner had run into difficulties transferring his funds across as a result of checks from financial authorities.

The Verdict

Kirchner’s takeover of Derby did collapse as a result of these issues to the relief of Derby fans who were left in the dark on the situation for too long. It now seems the case will rumble on in the background as the parties involved in Kirchner’s takeover seek to get a grip on the situation

Or Mike Ashley, ex-Newcastle? No thank you. You think Levein is reviled…

Thx,

Jay!

russ and griffin1108 repped this.
  9. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Oof- didn’t know. Makes Levien look like Daddy Warbucks.

Winoman repped this.
  10. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JFC....you about gave me a coronary just making that remark.

Please do not tempt this timeline to make such a thing come to pass.

11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider

·
    15h

Schalke MF Victor Pálsson is in Washington in anticipation of officially joining D.C. United on a transfer soon. He was at Audi Field last night and toured the city today. ( @berger_pj
    reported his transfer last week.)

Winoman repped this.
  12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Steven Goff
    @SoccerInsider
    ·
    12h

Wayne Rooney and D.C. United making a $5 million+ run at Elijah Adebajo, Luton Town's 6-foot-4 striker, source says. Englishman scored 17 goals in 42 matches across all competitions last season. Contract runs through 2023-24. Age: 24. #dcu #mls

13. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need another forward? Don't we need at least one new CB and at least one outside defender? Strange.

onefineesq and GlennAA11 repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #190 shammypants, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    I doubt the guy will come. At this point, we've had so many silly connections that until the ink is signed, we should expect guys on their last legs due to very poor behavior like Morrison and that other guy that just arrived that nobody wants to use a DP slot on.

Also if we spend 5 million on this dude we're more stupid and broken than can be imagined. For 5 million ********ing dollars you can buy several good players. Does this front office need help scouting and finding talent? I will do it for half of that moronic transfer fee.

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    5 million on one player doesn't put you over the cap, 5 million on several players likely does.

GlennAA11, Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right....

17. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's...the Mirror.

That aside, of course he's going to be allowed to talk to Premiership clubs if one comes talking. Dunno that he'll be getting talked to for awhile on that level.

The family factor has and always will be something in play. He seems to have the wife's green light at this point.

ImNumberTen repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #194 shammypants, Jul 25, 2022
    Ok but what is our DP situation and how can we improve it? Is 5+ million on a guy who doesn’t want to be here at forward it? To me if we have 5+ million why aren’t we finding a pair of competent players instead of putting all this money in one basket?

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've got Rodriguez and Morrison via international acquisition and they've just gotten started - Morrison hasn't played. Berry played in one match. We have a new DM that is here and waiting on a visa.

So that puts us in a position where we start the same 4 backs, new DM, new 10, new LW, and Taxi.

Goalie
    Najar, BHI, Birnbaum, Samake/Guederi
    Hopkins, Morrison, Canouse/Pallson, Rodriguez
    Taxi Berry/Estrada/Kamara/Robertha

So if we get a decent forward that is a lock starter with Taxi we can stop musical chairs. We also need three starters in defense but that isn't going to happen.

Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  20. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #196 shammypants, Jul 25, 2022
    Why not? I get that teams believe DPs need to be offensive players to excite fans but it would be sure nice to just win a bunch of games. Anyway, here’s wonderwall

Edit: we’re talking 5+ million deals after the guys you mentioned so wouldn’t it be sick to just get that solid defender and that solid player to make Hopkins a 20 minute minute player he is while he develops?

21. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably keep Robertha as a back up for Hopkins, but I think Kamara and Estrada clearly aren't in Rooney's plans.
    Berry and the 5 million dollar player from Luton Town (ok?), they would be 10 deep, quality unknown at this point in time, in the front 5. Skundrich, Nyeman, Kimarni, Djeffal on the outside of that 10. Should be progress, the dollars demand it, but who knows. I hate that they've fallen too far behind to have meaningful games this year, a lot of readymade excuses are there. I am suspicious, I'm a suspicious person, of Rooney's visa situation, in that it seems convenient to direct from out of range and not have any of the results pinned to him. What's the hold up, is there a reporter who'll find out, or does no one care?

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can get Thiago Silva on TAM.

shammypants repped this.
  23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go!

shawn12011, majspike, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  24. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    Big day for big Wayne. I enjoyed the DC United official interview with him a couple of weeks ago, when they asked if he'd be ready to suit up for the team if needed. He laughed it off and said he was too fat to do that.

Fat Rooney still better than most of our guys. I say let him do it if he's up for it. Can't be any less entertaining than the trash we've seen on numerous occasions this year.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  25. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States