DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernedeshi is arriving on a free transfer, too.

2. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this?

Complete the roof? That's craziness.

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I mean don't they have to so that they can film games properly? I wonder if this was a complaint by the league.

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  5. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    DC United general manager: Wayne Rooney era means "busy time" with transfers
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/dc-u...yne-rooney-era-means-busy-time-with-transfers

I know the players named aren’t from Rushton, but come on, man. LOL Suarez said he doesn’t want to go to a non-playoff team for WC purposes and Lindgard is not considering MLS. Quit trying to blow smoke up our asses and call it sunshine. The best DP’s for middling/bottom teams are guys like Taxi Fountas: you’ve never heard of them but good enough (and cheap enough) to light up MLS.

Thx,

Jay!

Winoman, majspike, Alejandro 10 and 5 others repped this.
  6. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

"Rushton believes a squad refresh is a net positive...."

I think this is the first time anyone in the front office has addressed the idea of an actual rebuild/refresh. It took two weeks to go from We're Focused on Getting This Excellent Group Of Extraordinary Players Into The Playoffs to "with the season we’ve had, to have some fresh faces in the building, it’s going to be a real plus."

I rarely have a problem with bylined article on MLSsoccer.com, but the rare, anonymous "staff" articles always read like they were reviewed and edited by every member of the front office, and I always assume the article got watered down or changed to the point that the author refused a byline. I wouldn't want my name on that one.

7. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Its an amalgamation of thoughts over the past week where some have been directly refuted in other MLSSoccer.com articles.

I saw one near the beginning of the Euro transfer window regarding a possible swap of someone in MLS (Taty, I think) to Newcastle. Pretty much a circular citation of sources until I stumbled across a two-line bit last November, right after MLS Cup. Even then, it wasn’t enough for anyone following NUFC to put it into wider circulation.

Thx,

Jay!

8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    When you’re calling up random players no one knows from USL then yea it’s time for a “refresh.”

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, it does seem like this is being driven by Rooney. Prior to his signing, I doubt a 'refresh' of any kind was on the table, so they tried to convince others (and maybe even themselves) that they were OK going ride-or-die with the bulk of the current lineup.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Daniel le Rouge2

Apr 16, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Another potshot from Gressel towards the front office:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vanc...sel-trade-gives-them-the-best-wingback-in-mls

Ooof! The more that gets out, the worse this sounds. The worst part might be that Julian was always a good soldier for the club. Do whatever’s asked and put the best face on it. Pissing off a character guy like that this badly is inexcusable.

dadman, Dizi, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that the reason Losada was run out of town was because he was underperforming with our stellar cast of characters. Wasn't that the narrative presented to us? Are they now saying that was a complete and utterly shameless lie?

DCU, Dizi, griffin1108 and 3 others repped this.
  12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah in part and wrong in part. Losada was basically run out of town because he got sideways with Kasper & Lucy. But, the real reason why Losada got sideways with the Top Brass was because he lost the locker room and because his training methods & fast action style of play were resulting in an inordinate number of injuries. For me, when you lose a player of the caliber of Paul Arriola simply because Arriola didn’t want to play for Losada anymore, you’ve got Trouble with capital T. In my view, Gressel was just collateral damage. Rooney fairly quickly decided that United required an immediate rebuild just to be competitive. The Front Office needed the major Garbor Bucks from Vancouver simply to acquire the players that Rooney wants because Levien lacks the deep pockets necessary to finance a mid-season rebuild out of his hip pocket.

dadman repped this.
  13. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting to note. Wasn't Gressel one of the most outspoken players in favor of Losada?

JayRockers! repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said the style of training improved his game.

Dizi, John L and Winoman repped this.
  15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, he shed some weight and gained quickness.during the Losada period.

McT, tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  17. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022

Another forward?

Winoman and Yowza repped this.
  18. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Can we end Estrada’s loan deal early?

DCU, sitruc, Alejandro 10 and 2 others repped this.
  19. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Yes.

dadman, Alejandro 10, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  20. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well from his play on the pitch, Estrada already has ended his part of it.

21. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have much good to say early on, but I thought he improved markedly once Taxi showed up. 4 goals and 4 assists in less than 900 minutes isn't bad, either.

I would assume we could end the loan early(?) But for the remainder of the year, we'd only gain $150K in what passes for cap space in MLS. That's cheap depth at forward for a guy who produces...something. I think we'd punt on ever resigning Kamara first, if we could clear the books of the $750K we'll be paying him from now through the end of the season.

dadman, sitruc and bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the sake of accuracy, Elijah Adebayo's full name (per Wiki) is:
    Elijah Anuoluwapo Oluwaferanmi Oluwatomi Oluwalana Ayomikulehim Adebayo.
    I suggest we just call him "Elijah"

dadman, sitruc, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  23. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind, but it's DC. We're required to refer to him henceforth as EAOOOAA.

Could be fun in public conversation. "Are you having a stroke!?"

PSURoss, Alejandro 10 and Yowza repped this.
  24. SoccerMullet

SoccerMullet Member

DC United
    United States
    Jul 23, 2022
    Any chance this group of clowns can sign a free transfer player? Or are they tapped out after finally showing some signs of life in the last 2 months. We need more possession and defender types.

25. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    Yeah, what we should be looking for is a 5th keeper!