DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I have a great deal of thoughts/impressions running through my head about all of this. Maybe, when I've had a few adult beverages, I will write my essay. In sum, I've felt for many years that the "supporters" groups in DC are like Marxist/Leninist parties -- they split over things most folks couldn't understand in a thousand years. That fractiousness coupled with an FO that intentionally tried to exacerbate that in 2018 managed to kill any "authentic" supporters culture at DCU. As for the wave -- Christ on a biscuit, that is so lamely '70's that I can't believe grown ass adults actually are doing it at the stadium. Another marker on the decline of civilization generally.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  2. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    SGs had enormous influence with DCU (and actually, MLS) from day 1, encouraged and nurtured by ownership and management (here's looking at you KP, Neil Tyra, Fred Matthes and all the rest! We miss you).

But, honestly, at some point their influence became outsized (the SGs were the club's biggest customer, controlling something like 40% of the FTEs - and its a liability for a company to be so dependent on one or very small number of customers). After some incidents here and around the league it got to the point where they were getting in management's way, making the league uncomfortable and NY started telling teams to rein them in.

Will Change took, I think, a very balanced approach and skillfully navigated limiting the SGs while not alienating them [he made it a point to regularly visit fans tailgating in the parking lots, even let my 4-year old serve him a margarita!].

But Leviathan and crew are of an entirely different cloth of owner. When he took over he was all too eager to, and had zero compunction in, smacking the SGs down - even though they were one of the most important reasons the club was a desirable asset to acquire. Hence the debacle of setting the SGs against each other by allowing the most self-denigrating group to obtain a paltry number of tickets and dole them out to the others, reneging on the promises a supporters club inside the venue and facilitating tailgating outside, among numerous other things.

Few other sports entertainment businesses in the US have (had) a relationship with their SGs as did MLS 1.0. Early on both the fans and management wanted something akin to the UK and other Euro leagues' traditions with their fans.

But MLS 2.0, from NY HQ on down, does not even remotely desire that kind of relationship and culture with the fans - it gets in the way. Butts in seats are not people, just statistics on the way to driving up potential broadcast dollars. If one of us doesn't want to buy/attend, they simply don't care because eventually someone new will come along and, as mentioned in someone else's post, and think this is the bee's knees.

MattR, fatbastard, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    #5503 JayRockers!, May 7, 2022
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no excuse for that shit, either in the manufacturing QC, or simply checking your inventory when it comes in the door - before it goes on the shelf! :mad:

bigredfutbol, Alejandro 10 and sitruc repped this.
  5. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Maybe that’s how DCU got Flores as well.

MattR, PSURoss, Adler and 5 others repped this.
  6. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Winoman repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    United finally has a promotion in the McDonald's app like the Wizards, Mystics, Commanders, Capitals and Justice. There's one difference though...
    Screenshot_20220507-220731_McDonald's.jpg
    Things are going well.
    Screenshot_20220507-220744_McDonald's.jpg
    Ok... to be fair that is one more promotion.
    Screenshot_20220508-085132_McDonald's.jpg

I've also seen ticket package deals at Costco.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Oooh, we are moving up in the world. We will know we have arrived when you can find them at Lidl and Walmart.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I've never seen the Wave done in the Chico stand and can count on one hand the number of home matches I've missed in the last 2 whole seasons.

dadman and pr0ner repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see the wave started in the Chico stand ever. That's usually something started in a non-supporters section when it does (which is also pretty rare).

sitruc repped this.
  11. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and, in my experience, it is often started by groups of kids who have come together with their soccer teams, etc.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot not to like about the fan experience, SG culture, and the relationship between ownership and the fanbase, but I cannot get worked up about people doing the wave.

Winoman, dadman and pr0ner repped this.
  13. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally won't do the wave, but if other fans want to do it, I see no reason for them not to. They're paying customers, they should enjoy themselves.

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  15. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    My plan would be to buy them then fold them. Knock down that monstrosity of a ballpark and build a proper soccer stadium with a fvcking roof.

[emoji4]

16. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    So, if Levien has the coin to buy an championship-winning MLB team and its $600 million stadium, why can't he spring for . . . oh never mind. :mad:

BTW, I'll bet the supporters of Swansea City feel the same way about this.

PSURoss, Alejandro 10, dadman and 4 others repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    No one buys anything using cash. Maybe he has to dump DC United to be able to come up with the financing for a Nationals purchase.
    Even though I'm sure this won't happen, it is the best thing I've heard today.

18. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    From the actual story by Soccer Insider Protege Pablo:

"Though United’s ownership quickly decided against the idea of purchasing the Nationals outright, they remain interested in ownership of a portion of the club, said sources familiar with United’s front office operations."

dadman repped this.
  19. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Fixed my-own post.

My point stands, however:
    I wish Levien would invest in a portion of DC United . . . :(

dadman, Alejandro 10, shawn12011 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    There's lots of things you could make from this:
    a) A joke: Our FO's "operations". :ROFLMAO:
    b) A bemused query: "Wait, is anyone truly familiar with DCU FO's operations? ;)
    c) A lament: Yes [sigh], we're all quite familiar with our FO's "operations" :(:cry:

21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this FO is "operating" there must be a deluge of dead patients.

Alejandro 10, Yowza and Adler repped this.
  22. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Yes, each of the last 13 years.....

Daniel le Rouge2, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  23. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was interested in this Educators Night this Wednesday but it looks like this link gives the discounted tickets to anyone? They aren't even discounted they are just tickets with a smaller service fee than ticketmaster. Am I missing something here? Don't say it's 30% off for educators and then give it to anyone. Also the irony of it being on a school night.

https://offer.fevo.com/dc-united-vs...c-united-vs-new-york-city-fc-gxgjw1w-8d114b8/

sitruc, Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About the only good thing that might happen with DCU's "management" owning a piece of the Natinals is that they might get better (read: any) access to all that parking. Which would make going to EagleBank more appealing.

sitruc, bigredfutbol, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  25. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Parking for Audi Field, I asked the Easter Bunny for that. Got rabbit poop. :eek: