DC United front office, or lack thereof

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Apr 23, 2015.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, in the early years of MLS, United has to sell out RFK Stadium.

shawn12011 repped this.
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meant to say, "United sold out RFK Stadium."

3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking Ikea. They still have the Allen wrench from when they bought the components for Audi Field.

4. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they can stock up on some of those Swedish meatballs for concessions and tea light candles for night games?

Alejandro 10, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Life of DC United.

Season is over before the all star break.

6. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Any bets on whether our new stadium gets the all-star game next year? Its sure as heck not going to be included in our STM plan

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I broke out my "We Win Trophies" t-shirt for running this morning.

Alejandro 10, dadman, TowsonDad and 5 others repped this.
  8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What is amazing is how cold the Union Station bathroom water is. In normal situations liquid water isn't colder than 32F but they have managed it there.

Alejandro 10, sitruc, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. it doesn't even run room temp. Like it's coming past some refrigeration unit. It's super weird.

Winoman repped this.
  10. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I am sure we will take down the Capital Cup against god knows who from god knows where.

11. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Seattle win and the energy from the crowd was both fun and sad. I remember when we were the big club, doing things right, showing MLS what a vibrant supporter culture looked liked. We won, we expected to win, we were a juggernaut. It feels like we are the MLS equivalent of Nottingham Forest or Leeds or Derby, once powerhouses in Football league, now an after thought (based on my soccer viewing timeline) I guess it just the flow of history, but it stinks. Do ownership and management have no shame, no sense that they owe the city to return us to glory (or at least the playoffs)?

12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Levien is 48, a young 'un. What does he know about history? :)

dadman, Winoman and yabo repped this.
  13. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [TRITISM] Youth, wasted on the youth [\TRITISM]

dadman, Winoman and song219 repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Ah, but in those few years, he fcuked up the Memphis Grizzlies, '76ers and Swansea, not to mention DCU so there's that.

bigredfutbol, sitruc, dadman and 2 others repped this.
  15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    That just means that DC is not the only place where he failed history. :p

Alejandro 10, dadman and Winoman repped this.
  16. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #5491 shammypants, May 5, 2022
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
    The overwhelming majority of current fans have no memory of us ever winning a Cup. That's a fact. Right now a big issue when discussing this team is if someone remembers when we were good and won games, the comparison is then to that era. If someone is a fan since like 2008 or after, they compare the team to the other mediocre and shitty years since 2008. The FO can leverage these two facts and say that any success is good, because most fans don't expect being a top club and don't remember ever being one.

Alejandro 10, sitruc, dadman and 3 others repped this.
  17. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, any chance Levien sells in the near future? I'd like to be excited about the team again but this organization makes it incredibly hard to do so.

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  18. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    None, mostly because the league is structured to protect bad owners by virtue of it's collective nature.

19. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention I don't see any way we work up to that level. Way too much apathy and lack of ambition in the front office

Alejandro 10, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  20. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Does Michelle Kang have any interest in men's football? I did see that Levien approached her about buying a share of DCU.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    remember that the last time we won a cup were also not just worst in the league, but worst in league history!

Winoman repped this.
  22. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    At the end of the day we really only had part of the stadium buy in to “supporters culture.” There are so many places doing it so much better now then what we thought we were then. Was it the best? Probably. But we never got better. That’s not on ownership. Well, it’s partially on ownership when they drove the stake in the supporters during the move. But DCU has never “rocked the red” as consistently as the Caps have over the last 20 years. Maybe the fans need to be led by the nose a bit more in stadium. Maybe they only turn out for a winner. Don’t really know and don’t really care anymore. Everyone can support the team the way they want. In DC that doesn’t include unbridled fan support.

Thx,

Jay!

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fans at Audi, in general, get into chants more than they ever did at RFK. The sound travels so much better to make that possible. But a) the action on the field needs to be good enough to make it happen organically, and/or b) the Chico stand needs to do a better job running with chants the common fan will know/following the action on the field than they do now.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem I had in the past with the different supporter's groups is that one group would start a chant, and another group would start a different chant in the middle of it. That was especially the case at RFK when there were 3 (or 4) different supporters groups. I haven't seen (or heard) that so much at Audi. Either the groups are better coordinated, or there are not as many doing different things at the same time.

sitruc and dadman repped this.
  25. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, it only took the the usual suspects (BB/SE) a few years - to the early 00's - until they agreed to actually cooperate on something - coordinating chants. But La Norte and the Ultras in the VW Garage end the stadium actually intentionally didn't want to cooperate with that - they formed exactly because they didnt want to be BB/SE and liked to wait for a break in the BB/SE cacophony to belt out their own chants. Then the "elders" would say, well, that's not acceptable and rev up again to drown them out. Gosh, drunks make for such wonderful petty drama.....

Before the bench-side became stolidly known as the quiet side Salvatore could get that side of the stands going with his 65" bass drum.

And for some years we had Captain United (Tim Meehan) who would get us going (and Capt United and I could get the quiet side going with a good "icelandic" clap thing for set plays at RFK long before all these Garber's noobs/Sam's Army/AM Outlaw Johnnies-come-lately wankers culturally misappropriated the Icelanders' iconic thing). But then Capt United stopped going to games and then the quiet side really was the quiet side evermore. Every once in a while on the quiet side we could get up a nice call and response with the SGs side with "Dee Cee!" "U-ni-ted!" or the "DC United" w/ the "clap-clap, clap-clap, clap" thing going that just never seems to happen much now.

And the Chico stand now is really just a bunch advertising window dressing that is more interested in making political statements than actually being an actual fearsome, intimidating 12th-man presence that affects the game (except for the irregular and impotent "F--k You Ref" chant). They are now essentially the chimp with the bongos from Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing" song. But I have ranted about that before so.....nevermind.

Speaking of wankers, our stadium fan culture is so pathetic now they are regularly doing the wave..... (puke). If the chico stand had any intestinal fortitude, let alone self-respect, they would put a stop to it - oh, wait.....they start it. Am I the only one bothered by this?

bigredfutbol, fatbastard, sitruc and 3 others repped this.