DC United @ Dallas Post-Match Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Sep 1, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not just a result but an absolute butt-kicking on the road--a remarkable performance in that context.

4-0 for DC United.

No trolls.

Oh, and Mods, could you please put an "R" in the Thread title?

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Re: DCU-FCD Post-Match Thread

Ben Olsen has more goals in MLS play than Landon Donovan.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hope Brian Carroll likes Rochester. Or Vancouver. Or Miami, Or Seattle...

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA

Okay, now that the post-game thread has been started, there are a couple of obvious conclusions to draw from this match:
    1. No-one on this team can score goals except Emilio.
    2. We're only playing defense and going for the tie on the road.
    3. This team has no heart.
    4. Oh, and of course....Fire Soehn.

Seriously though, I don't want to get carried away, but other than Chivas, FCD is playing pretty well. They got Toja back. We were in a stadium that we traditionally don't do well in.

We've gone from a team that seeks to just get a result on the road to a team that can get 3 points on the road a lot of the time--including against good teams who are in-form. That's impressive. The boys--and Soehn--deserve major credit. B/c the MLS season didn't start this way and through a lot of work and thought, they've put together a team that right now, is playing as well or better, than anyone else in MLS.

5. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I said in the during-match thread, I'm impressed at how our guys know where their team-mates are going to be. And I'm really impressed at how Simms has grown. He just doesn't deliver a bad ball no matter how much pressure he's under.

And Burch...I predict he's eventually going to be our national team's solution to our left back problem.

What a beauty, particularly having watched what the English call football this weekend (Liverpool v. Sunderland). I'll take a game like this any day.

And that we dominated has nothing to do with that opinion...in case you're wondering.

6. soccerkitty

soccerkitty New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northern Va

I am thrilled. What a game. Ben Olsen put in another two. One for Fred, and another by Gomez. Perkins had a few awesome saves. Bobby was on fire. Way to come back! Two of those saves were incredible. Birch is looking good. Simms is also covering the center mid position very well. Moreno played very hard and took a beating in this one, but had a nice game!

7. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I mean, what is up with this guy? Does he need an antidepressant? A heart transplant? Electroshock therapy? Though I am glad to see Clyde grow into the player he can be, Brian Carroll...that sound is your position with this club blowing away.

8. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington

Do we know that Emilio is OK? He seemed pretty distraught on the sideline when Soehn was talking to him but Rongen and Dave Johnson were speculating that he might just be down on himself or not scoring.

But, WOO-HOO!, other than that - this was a joy to watch. We were a bit lucky in that
    Dallas actually had more of the run in the 1st half. But we were lucky to get some good chances and skilled enough to finish them efficiently.

I was already gnashing my teeth when Olsen opened up the score because our slow central defensive pairing of Boz and Vanney had already been beaten by a couple thruballs up the middle.

But everything broke our way. We were lucky to get some of those of scoring chances but Ben and Christian's finishes were pure opportunistic skill. I even got to see Denilson do some harmless tricks from the safe vantage point of a 4-goal lead.

We are tied for the most points in the league standings (with fewer games played than New England) and have the best goal differential in the league. What are we waiting for?

Fire Soehn now!

;)

9. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC

My thoughts exactly, he clearly pulled Benny to prevent him from getting his 2nd hat trick! ;)

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia

Great, great effort tonight. Defense stood tall, Boswell was playing like he did in 2006.

Burch, man what a left leg he's got. And just wait until he is totally comfortable in that position.

And now the team need to get ready for a tough away game against the Goats, but they certainly seem up to the challenge.

11. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

Absolute ownage in every way possible. Even without Emilio scoring (anyone else noticed how incredibly down he was for not scoring in this one? he almost looked like he was at the point of tears on the bench) we dominated. I love how Olsen's slight position change has made him one of the best OVERALL wingers in MLS right now (I mean he must be in the top 10 goal scorers right now- remember when our top goal scorer had like 5 or something?). Uhhh Burch is amazing... and having 4 of our last 6 wins on the road is beautiful.

12. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Karma is a bitch, Sala. :D

Only another goal from Beninho and a Luci goal would have made this night absolutely perfect.

And JoeW, no worries - R is implied in all match threads. :)

13. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

DC found themselves in virtually the exact same position they did against Dallas at RFK in July with a three goal lead minutes into the second half. The difference was Soehn made the right substitutions and the team focused on killing the game off rather than get caught up in a track meet with Dallas. A very smart performance this time by the team.

Also, much like last time, DC built a commanding lead without necessarily being clearly dominant. Dallas to me looked like the better side through most of the first half. Nevertheless, Dallas broke after getting hit with three quick goals and DC's defensive substitutions kept Dallas quiet the entire second half.

Boswell, Moreno, Simms and Fred stood out for me tonight. Moreno should have gotten one from the run of play tonight but Dallas kept yanking him down. Only once was a Dallas player carded for doing so.

I thought Hall had a weird game tonight. First, there was that screaming match with the DC bench when all the DC people looked fairly calm and Hall looked like he was going to stroke out. Second, he let an awful lot of professional fouling go unpunished. Vanney deserved a yellow for one foul and Dallas horse-collared enough DC players on breakaways that I thought Roy Williams had suited up for FCD. While Hall ignored the professional fouling he carded Moreno and Denilson for some pretty innocuous stuff.

All in all a great win on the road in a place DC usually doesn't play well. Dallas is a dangerous team in that they can score in bunches, but for a team with as good a record as it has, their goal differential is appalling. I don't see them being a real player come playoff time.

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Fire Soehn

15. bouncingsoul44

bouncingsoul44 New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game, listened to it on WMET and just watched the highlights, even more impressive seeing the talent in many of the goals.

Olsen was on fire, gotta love his athleticism. I was hoping for that second hat trick for him, but I will take two very good goals any day of the week.

Burch is even more amazing then I thought after seeing that cross. That one was world-class, bended it perfectly and right to Emilio's feet.

Fred is getting on a real hot streak now, and I'm hoping he'll continue it.

From what I heard on the radio, Moreno should have gotten a goal, but Dallas kept fouling him. How he didn't get a PK somewhere is amazing.

Simms looked very good, glad he's shown how good he can be. Definitely a mainstay on the starting 11.

Great goal from Gomez. I didn't really gather how his performance was from the radio however, did he do well other than his golazo?

And one last comment with Soehn. I remember hearing about he wasn't seen as "one of the boys". Although a little gesture, when Fred looked over at him and he gave a smile and thumbs up just says something to me that he may be, in fact, "one of the boys". I know, again, it's small, but it looked like, rather than just happy about the goal, he looked genuinely happy for Fred, like he knew how much it meant to him. Just a nice thing to see.

16. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The turn around from early season is what's staggering me. We played like total and absolute CRAP on the road early on and it's great to see us able to put away games on the road in this recent stretch.

17. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Member

Aug 6, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got a glimse of the game in the 66th minute and was so happy to see that we were up by 4 points. Especially with what we were projecting the result would be.

And a question for you more experienced people. If I were to purchase one, would I be the first one to rock a Simms jersey?

18. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas did their professional fouling well outside the box. The one yellow Dallas did get for dragging Jaime down could possibly have been worthy of a red for DOGSO. If Jaime doesn't get pulled down by the defender he's in 1 v. 1 with the keeper. I think Hall didn't make the call because DC already had a sizable lead and that there were three other defenders running parallel to the defender who fouled Jaime (not that they would have been in position to be able to do anything to stop Moreno if he doesn't get fouled).

19. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Member

Aug 6, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that Jaime gets fouled all the time and I've never seen him whine about a questionable call. That's why I'm a DCU fan.

20. TowsonDad

TowsonDad BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 1, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TCompton:
    "I say we take it to them. Screw counter attacking. Make them defend. Simply stated, DC United is a better team than FC Dallas. We attack, we score, we score some more, and then we win."

After all the analysis-rep deserved here. :D

21. bouncingsoul44

Jun 10, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh, okay. As I said, I only heard the game on the radio and it sounded like Moreno gotten taken down in the box and the ref did not call it. I suppose Limarzi was probably saying he got taken down before he could get in the box and I misunderstood. My bad.

But yea, you're probably right about why Hall didn't make the call. If we're up four-nothing, maybe he just thought it wasn't necessary.

22. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Do you know what I liked?

Three of our goals came from shots taken from outside the box.

The fourth (Olsen's second) came from a long delivery from Burch.

Shooting from the outside prevents a goalkeeper from getting into a comfort zone, and it forces the defense to come out and challenge higher. That means there will be openings behind them, and a team that passes the ball as well as we do will find those openings.

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    From an MLSNet.com report:

"Tonight's loss marked the worst loss for FCD ever at Pizza Hut Park, while the Hoops still have yet to defeat United in Frisco since the stadium opened in 2005."

I did not know this.

24. bouncingsoul44

Jun 10, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Limarzi mentioned that United have never been defeated in Pizza Hut Park. Why has everyone been saying we don't play well there?

25. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Word