DC United Conquers the Universe--IV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Aug 27, 2007.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, I'm on vacation with my family in upper Maine (both the coast and the hinterland). So I'm scaling Mt. Cadillac wearing my DC United hat. As I'm headed down from the summit, I pass 2 guys who give me a big "DC UNITED" cheer and then say "where's your ball?" (At the base of the climb I tell them).

A couple of days later I'm walking the streets of Bar Harbor and a car passes me while I'm wearing my DC United T-shirt and I heard the car occupants chant "DC United" and then honk their horn "honk-honk, honk-honk-honk".

I'm wearing my DC United jersey to work out in. I ask the gym/workout room assistant if he's got any water. His eyes light up when he sees my jersey. Turns out he's from Romania--one of many Eastern Europeans who come to the States in the summer for seasonal jobs at resorts. He sees the logo and just says "DC United. Stoichkov!" and then gives me a big smile.

I am walking in Camden Maine and see someone on the other side of the street wearing one of the DCU VT jersey's. I yell "United" and he looks over and I give him a big thumbs up--he just grins a huge smile like he knows he's among family.

But the last story of this trip is the best. I'm hiking around Jordan Pond (in Acadia NP) in my United T-shirt (the one that says "United--Now and Forever") and someone else sees it and says "that's pretty cool--what's that for?" So I tell him it's for the professional soccer team I follow and say "DC United is the most accomplished soccer team in America" and he say's "I think I've heard of them before." So I ask him where's he from and he says "New York--that would be great if we had a soccer team some day." I wasn't sure whether or not to correct him or agree with him so I just said nothing.

2. dcsundevil2002

Apr 20, 2006
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome.

I had that happen on a trip out to Iowa to see my fiancee's parents. We are at the Des Moines Farmer's Market and I had on one of my DC United t-shirts and no less than four people all stopped me to comment on my shirt.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Sadly, no one recognized my DCU gear in Nice or St. Tropez.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the universe, but not England.

I bought the three DC United polos to wear (black, red, and white...highly recommended...very comfortable and classy) on my recent 13 day trip through England. Probably had them on for at least half the days there, plus on the flight back, and not a glimmer of recognition. Lots of curious stares, but not much more.

Even wore one (plus cap) to the season opener of the Lincoln City Red Imps (League Two), accompanied by a half time announcement to the fans that I was in the building and a DC United supporter...but other than Lincoln_City_FC, a BigSoccer poster (that's him on the right), no knowledge.

[​IMG]

Wore the red one again at Ewood Park, but other than the head of security there, not a bit of recognition (of course, since the group I toured the grounds with was from Shri Lanka, I guess that's to be expected).

[​IMG]

I suppose this explains why DC United is so far down the supporters table on Channel 5's 'Beckham's Soccer USA'. They just don't know us over there.

5. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No, they did--it's just that the crowd there is too cool to acknowledge stuff like that.

As for England, one step at a time Grasshopper, one step at a time.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Should've wore one to White Hart Lane. I bet THEY know who we are :D

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may have, if they even noticed it. But there's other, very distracting stuff to look at in Nice and St. Tropez.

8. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have worn it to Glasgow....Of course there the locals may choose to pretend not to remember :D

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before but I see more DC United stuff out on people than I do Revs stuff here in Boston. I always give a cheer to anyone sporting the colors too. It's fun to connect with people that way.

The best part of that story was the the New Yorker though.

10. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    New Yorkers tend not to consider New Jersey very important, so that attitude is pretty common. NYRB is a NJ team, and only a small fraction of its support comes from New York.

There should be a proper New York team. The demographics would support one. All they'd have to do is exactly what NYRB have never done, i.e. put a good product on the field and manage the team well.

11. andorj78

andorj78 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Getzville, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a stuffed DCU pennant in a supermarket vending machine up here in Buffalo tonight. Totally random.

I used to be all United all the time when I was younger but I've unfortunately trailed off in recent years. Too much going on lately to make my annual RFK visit/catch every match each Saturday.

I guess it's a sign from above that I should get my priorities straightened out again!

12. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw this at a sports bar in Lima, Peru called "La Barra Brava"
    [​IMG]

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fabulous.

14. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Went to Chile once years ago. People recognized the DCU hat and knew about El Diablo and Jaime Moreno.

LA....not so much. I just picked up a couple of classic black, three stripe DC replica jerseys with MasterCard logos on the sleaves and back. Excess studio wardrobe. Mint condition; I doubt they were ever worn. Price: $8 each. Couldn't believe it; do they make these anymore? Do you know what you've got....uh, never mind. Just ring me up.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Last summer I had a bad experience wearing my DCU jersey. I was sitting at a sidewalk table late an night in Jesolo, Italy when 3 American frat boys recognized a DC United t shirt I was wearing. Turns out they're Fire fans, and they started singing that stupid Section 8 song from across the street. I decided to reply with a friendly "DC United - clap clap clap clap clap clap" 2 seconds later I had a beer bottle land near my feet shattered to pieces. The stupid drunk ************** scurried away as soon as everyone on the street started staring at them. Anyways I was thoroughly excited to have a mini MLS hooligan episode in a small town in Italy.

I had another crazy encounter with a Fire fan about 5 years ago, this time even more obscure location. This dude was an innkeeper in Rodhos Greece during the tourist season. The rest of the year he lived in Chicago. This guy was a gambling addict and he spent his daily inn revenues at the card tables every night. I made a bet with him on an upcoming game between Fire - United. I bet we'd get at least 1 point, and we tied 0 - 0 ... I checked online the next morning. The guy was broke, so he let me stay at his little hotel for two weeks for free since he couldn't pay me. It was nice to sucker a Fire fan. It was the most rewarding draw in my DCU fan career.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. Oh yes.

17. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Well, in an attempt to "win" the "representing DC United" competition, my wife and I wore our DC United gear all over China. Yes, that China.

I got a shout-out from a few Chinese who watch our games on some china-website thing, most saw the Chelsea match last year. I also met some other yanks abroad who were, for the most part, from the west coast. On guy said "I haven't seen a whole lot of DC United shirts in China this year." He was a San Jose fan, and I got to inform him -- on the great wall, no less, that his team was being resurrected.

18. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, where they still talk about the technical mastery, knack for the goal, and awesome sideburns displayed by DC United star ... Wade Barrett.

19. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland

I used to have that poster... but my brother ripped it off the wall and burnt it:(:mad:

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So you are saying that you ARE a holla'back girl?

New Yorkers tend to view Jersey like you view the sewage treatment plant - you know it is necessary because you send all your s**t there...

Wow, a DC United fan in Peru? Crazy... Wearing a jersey no less! That's awesome, and sort of makes that poster in the background less surprising...

:)

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Did you kick your brothers ass?

22. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Just let us know when you're planning to bring him by the tailgate.

23. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland

Yes I did!!!:D

I don't think you'll worry about that, he goes to metal concert not soccer games. Go figure:confused:

24. tileman

tileman New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Dumfries, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once went to a United game at 7:30, then saw Krokus at Jaxx at 10:30. Awsome!!!

25. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Barcelona last summer after the US bombed out of Germany and went to the Nou Camp wearing my DC colors, and when I got off the train near the stadium I saw someone else who had just gotten on the train in their DC jersey. No chance to say something but there was acknowledgement. Awesome.