DC United @ Chivas USA Thurs 9/6/07 Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iammrben

iammrben Member

Jul 27, 2007
    DC (Petworth)
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually, I think what Ursala meant is that, since we won the season series against CUSA after last night's result, we effectively have a point in-hand on them. So, if we finish tied with them at the top of the SS table, we take the SS due to the season series victory. So, 6 points down with two games in hand but having lost the series may as well be 7 points down.

2. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    One of the things worth considering, as we watched the game from our comfortable confines through the frustrated medium of ESPN last night, is...

...the late game start.

Maybe I place too much weight on this, but a midweek game on the West Coast must be deucedly difficult to adjust to. I know that when I was still playing, 11:00pm start times were awful. I could never get in the rhythm of the game--the whole circadian rhythm thing.

Hopefully they can shake it off for Sunday.

3. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    What do insects have to do with anything? Particularly ones that only come around every decade and a half?

I think we started brightly, but faded quickly (he said, blithely stating the obvious) The combination of a road trip and the late start had something to do with that, I'm sure. I tend to agree w/ Bootsy that I was surprised at the lineup. I thought we'd go into this match looking for a draw, i.e. playing some subs, and come back to RFK with some of our starters a little more refreshed.

Sunday is going to be interesting.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah! Of course, thank you. Sorry for impugning your analysis, Skip; I wasn't thinking.

5. Raz from the 'Burgh

Raz from the 'Burgh New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perkins definately was looking shakey after they kept showing him after his blunder. but he got it together and played a good game. big one against the revs. planning on getting to DC for the oct. 20 game!

6. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Two things I have not seen mentioned:

1) We have achieved our karmic balance after the Emilio stolen goal a few games ago. In that instance, forward pressure paid off for us. Last night...well, you get the picture.

2) No one has mentioned the play in the last second half when Perkins saved our defender's arses. As I recall, a Chivas player was bearing down on goal--coming down the center. Two DCU defenders were a half-step behind, and one of them got a foot to be ball. Troy was able to come up with a scrambling save. It looked to me like Boz or Vanney shot on our own goal. it was a crazy play that incensed me, nearly causing me to wake the household. Anyone else remember the play?

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember that, but I do remember Boz hitting our post.

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things I think are interesting:

First, when other teams score on us first and we're chasing the game (as was the case at the beginning of the season), everyone seems to get all bent out of shape whining about how we dominated the entire game, we're better, yadda yadda. I'm guilty of this too. But of course, much of the reason we dominate is because the other team has gotten a goal and either by intent or lack of focus, tends to relax.

Not having posession, not creating chances, and generally not looking lively (while not my preferred style of play) does not always equate to playing badly.

Second, it was my impression that while we may have looked tired and like our game fell off, I felt that it may have been somewhat intentional. Soehn stated afterwards he was taking the point and going home to play for all the peanuts against NE, and I wouldn't be shocked if he told the guys to play simple, conservative, containment, low-energy soccer to keep our legs fresh and possibly frustrate Chivas (who seems to prefer high intensity). It seemed clear to me from his comment that he wasn't interested in a dog fight or horse race last night. He got two goals early and was content to sit back and hold onto a point, casually going for three.

The only problem in general with the idea is that I don't think he was given the cushion to make all the subs he wanted as early as he would have liked. For a while there, a third goal might have been required to secure the point so he left some people on.

I'm frustrated, because it should have been 3 pts, and that makes at least 6 points we should have had from games this season that we droppped. If we had those points back (Dallas at home, last night, and one other one) we are way out in front.

But I'm not upset. We took advantage of the chances we had against a good opponent, AWAY, and got a point. Even DC United can't win them all.

9. thecheat48

thecheat48 New Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I think Boswell and Vanney may be the "weak" pair in the back. I think I like McTavish with either of them over the two vets together.

And, despite the linesman gifting DC a call, after watching the play a few times, I have to give a touch of credit to (I believe) Namoff. He kept the Chivas player on but jumped upfield pretty quick when he saw what was happening. He moved after the ball was passed, but it was smart none the less and may have effected the linesman judgment/view etc.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't cost United the match ....... but the officiating (read: linesman) cost Chivas the match. Again, the moaning about the officiating is laughable in a match where the biggest call went against the other team.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only did New England have an Open Cup game on Tuesday, but they had a 120 minute Open Cup game on Tuesday. They will probably be a little more fresh, but just a touch.

12. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Preki and Chivas have no room to complain about the offside call. When you get two goals they way they did, that's providence. Take it and shut up. The good comes with the bad. The Razov goal should have never happened; that balanced out the bad offside call. We did a great job of riding a wave of bad luck for a point. Seven games unbeaten, five of those games on the road, 19 out of the last 21 points and 13 out of 15 from the road games. That's good stuff. Take the point.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    D'oh!

I knew that. I was confusing NE with Chivas there. In regards to NE, we just played the two games that we had in hand with them. We gained four points and are now in the lead for the SS- outright lead of 1 point vs NE and the tiebreaker lead vs Chivas, which still has two games in hand so the most they can do is tie us.

I like our position.

14. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll argue against that. They had no right to claim the match. They got a fluke goal you almost never see except on blooper reels. The offside call is the balance to that. Both sides got what they deserved.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember anybody claiming we dominated in those first two losses @ Colorado and v KC. If anything, it was just the opposite. The one example that I think goes along with your argument was the away Guadelajara match in the CCC, where we looked better but it was mainly because they gave us space, especially after their second goal. But I can't think of other examples just now.

Wow, I didn't get this at all. If it were true -- if, with a two goal lead, he was happy to play for a single point, so giving up two goals was fine -- I'd be in the "fire him" camp because that's insane.

It's not that we drew. Before the match started, I would have been happy with the draw. But because of the way we went about it, we're not likely to get much of anything this Sunday as well. That's what sucks, for me.

16. The Big VA

The Big VA Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also felt there was less service from Burch. We saw in the Dallas game that we he is serving the ball, good things happen. I was hoping to see him serve some more long ones last night. He seemed effective when he did...but he just did not do it often enough for my liking.

17. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Re: DC United @ Chivas USA Thurs 9/6/07 Post-Match Thread

I'm sure you're right, and given that this is the global leader in sports coverage, it's inexcusable. I know that it will never happen, but ESPN should fire the nimrod who had two hours to get the deal done, then didn't.

Better yet, they should have found a different channel to either move the Louisville f'ball game, or move the MLS Game of the Week, so that the start didn't need to be delayed, fans didn't need to miss any of the start of the game, and that with less than 10 minutes left in a draw match, technical difficulties didn't need to interrupt coverage. Further, ESPN should offer an explanation for the shenanigans. If I were a sponsor I would be pissed, because this type of amature programming loses viewers.

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? How can a blown call balance out a perfectly legal play on the field?

19. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karmic balance...you know, "soccer gods were smiling" kind of stuff...

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, OK. The same sort of thing that's leaving me wondering what shirt should I wear on Sunday, i.e. which one will give us the best chance of winning . . .

21. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    And a rough one at that...

http://cachemediasrv.patriots.com/I...cristman.jpg&rs=26&q=75&x=73&y=28&w=200&h=300

Booking Summary
    NE - Avery John - 41st minute (Yellow)
    CAR - David Stokes - 41st minute (Yellow)
    NE - Shalrie Joseph - 42nd minute (Red)
    CAR - Connolly Ezodien - 42nd minute (Red)
    CAR - Kupano Low - 55th minute (Yellow)
    NE - Jeff Larentowicz - 73rd minute (Yellow)
    CAR - David Stokes - 80th minute (Red)
    NE - Adam Cristman - 88th minute (Yellow)
    CAR - Joel Bailey - 106th minute (Yellow)
    CAR - Chad Dombrowski - 110th minute (Yellow)

(Thanks SavannahFan for the info)

22. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    That's one of those "God really is a Chivas Fan" goals that lifted the goats team beyond normal play, and damned United to a draw.
    Remember Kasey Keller's punt against mexico bouncing off a Mexican right back into our goal?

23. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    THat was Hermosillo, a Mexican forward

24. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tough call. I've been wearing a plain black t-shirt throughout the six game winning streak. Last night was rugby practice and post practice drinks so I wasn't wearing a plain black T until it was too late. Back in plain black on Sunday.

25. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he meant that it bounced off of a Mexican, and then went into the goal.

Not that the Mexican Right Back was pressuring Keller.