DC UNITED - ATLANTA Chapter

Discussion in 'Supporters Abroad' started by Barbieri, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    We were talking about this last night. Depending on the schedule, heading over on that first weekend of the Cup (sometime on the 19-22) would probably work out best. We'll figure it out once the schedule comes out.

2. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
  3. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    It's back, finally...

Most of the usual suspects will be at the Brewhouse for the game on Sunday. The Brewhouse will be getting Direct Kick again, so the Atlanta crew will be there for all the DCU games we can get. We'll also usually stick around to point and laugh at Twinkie Meola, Fightin' Clint Dempsey, and the rest of MLS...

4. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Does anyone know if the game vs. Houston this Saturday (4/15/06) will be on at the Brewhouse? I might like to check it out.

5. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    As of right now, it will not be on at the Brewhouse. It's on HDNet, which is not part of Direct Kick for some reason and the Brewhouse doesn't get it. I'll check with them tomorrow when I'm there for the US-Jamaica match and post more information later.

I'm hoping local TV in either Houston or DC will pick it up, because Direct Kick would then have it as well...

6. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shoe... What was the tally to catch the game somewhere else if the Brew didn't have it palying... was there any choice over another.

Forgot the details... last e-mail is sitting at work.

7. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    I'm working on getting the Taco Mac in Decatur to show the game for us. I'll call tomorrow and see if they can guarantee it. Only the Taco Mac's here in town carry HD Net.

As Mr. Cantona says, watch this space...

8. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    I just spoke with Mike, the manager at the Taco Mac in Decatur. They do get HD Net and they said that they could put the game on for us. Depending on the crowd, we might get a big screen, but there are Braves and Thrashers games on tomorrow night as well.

I'm going to try to get there as early as possible, probably around 7, to try to get the best spot possible. We'll probably hang around and watch the Goats-Gals on ESPN as well if you want to stay.

Here's the address:

Taco Mac
    240 West Ponce De Leon
    Decatur, GA
    Phone: (404) 378-4140

9. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    I may try to make it. Is it sure that MLSnet isn't streaming this week?

10. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    You never know, I did read that MLSNet would not be streaming the exclusive HD Net games. With this being the first one, who knows?

11. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Did you make it out to Taco Mac? How was it? I ended up staying and watching it online. They streamed all but the first few minutes of the game. And a great game it was too!!!

12. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Yeah, we did make it out there to Taco Mac for the game. They really took care of us too, gave us a big screen TV and had a table for 10 right in front of it. I'm glad we made it out there for that one.

Most of us have a game on Saturday at 4, so we'll be taping the game and watching it at the Brewhouse at around 6 or so.

13. realfootballinathens

Apr 27, 2006
    Athens, GA
    I know this is a little off topic but since i'm listed as a newbie (i actually had an account before this one but haven't accessed it in a long while and forgot all the pertinent info) i can't start a new thread so i thought this would be the best place to go to maybe have someone answer a question i have. Does anyone know of any Athens, GA based DCU supporters as that's where i have ended up after 5 years in DC and i still want to follow the best team in the MLS on as regularly as i did when i was in DC. I would love to travel down to Atlanta and do a game with you guys sometime, but that probably won't happen until i get a car. So in the meantime if you guys know of anyone or everyone that might be a supporter in athens that would like to push a few bars up here into getting directkick or something of the same i would greatly appreciate it.

14. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    A few of our own made in into the Washington Times today.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20060501-125555-1692r.htm

15. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROTFL... I saw that too. Read the post I made in the article thread... I'm glad she wasn't offended with me :)

16. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Actually I have heard of a few bars in Athens that are soccer friendly....can't remember them right now, but if you keep looking, I'm sure you will find one. As mentioned earlier, the Taco Mac in the Highlands carried it so you might want to give them a call and see if they have DK.

17. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
    Anyone heading to the Brewhouse this Saturday for the KC game?

18. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Member

Nov 30, 2004
    GA Boy in DC
  19. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Of course...

20. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Just wanted to cross post the pertinent information here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362167

DC United was generous enough to donate items for auction for this event. There will be a 2005 team signed ball up for grabs in auction, as well as an autographed 8"x10" of Freddy. Thanks DCU!

See you guys next Thursday.

21. Longshoe

Longshoe New Member

Mar 6, 1999
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    I just wanted to remind the DCU fans that the World Cup Kickoff Party is tonight at the Brewhouse. Soccer In The Streets will be auctioning off a 2005 DCU team autographed ball and a Freddy autographed 8"x10". DC United and United for DC definitely came through for Soccer In The Streets!

Hope to see some of you tonight!

22. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Are there any DC fans currently residing in the Atlanta area?

Not sure of my schedule, but I'll be down there this weekend and should be free to catch the game somewhere.