DC United Academy

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Aug 11, 2010.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That trophy is tiny.

Yowza and Winoman repped this.
  2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    those old hand-me-down Leidos jerseys... we can't afford to outfit them in the latest gear?

Winoman, Alejandro 10 and sitruc repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tradition

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game-winning goal:

GumbyG, Yowza and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Saw these two threads on twitter today and thought they were interesting:

bigredfutbol, superdave, sitruc and 4 others repped this.
  6. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I guess if Kasper can't find good players and our ownership isn't willing to pay for them our last hope is for the soccer gods to divine us lots of talent through the academy. It's a shame that by the time they mature enough to get a shot with the professional side Rooney will have quit DC United out of hopelessness and they'll have to learn the ropes from Chad Ashton

MattR, Winoman and majspike repped this.
  7. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002

8. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GumbyG and John L repped this.
  10. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Anybody know the circumstances of Stiven Gimenez, a local kid who signed a contract with FC Cincy? I know they had to get homegrown rights from DC. Interesting to me because i just found out that Cincy was the 1st to offer Ted KdP a contract while he was in DC academy. It was only after that, that Kasper decided to offer him one. Im still bitter we never moved Eryk Williamson up before he left for Portland.

DCU and Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Williamson never wanted to play for DCU and went abroad and then returned to MLS and Portland.

12. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Can't blame him given the DC United dysfunction...

13. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Seems like we sold his rights for Garberbucks: https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/fc-cincinnati-make-stiven-jimenez-youngest-signing-in-club-history

It also says he joined Cincy's academy in 2019. Super weird that they poached him or he wanted to go there or whatever happened...

14. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Do we know that for sure? Not doubting you just wondering if that was ever verified or if he didnt want to play here because they never really wanted him.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have documentation but I seem to remember he was offered a HG contract but he didn't sign it. There were rumors of his reasoning, but I can't confirm. So DC traded him to Portland for an international spot and he signed with Portland for whatever reason.

16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Looked at his Wiki page and it is clearer now. I remember Goff reporting that Williamson - who went to UMd - was interested in going overseas and didn't want to play for DCU. His rights were traded for Garberbucks, but Williamson thought he would get an offer from Schalke. That didn't occur, so he went to Portland and has since suffered two severe knee injuries.

JRHokie and Winoman repped this.
  17. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland sent 200,000 in allocation, a 2018 second round pick and a 2018 international slot.

Winoman repped this.
  18. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    This whole issue of homegrowns, academies and like raises the issue of territorial rights. At some point -- today -- the territorial rights should go away. There should be a free market for kids with promise to play where they want to play, not arbitrarily put them in an MLS's academy due to their birthplace or residence. Right now, the only alternatives for a US kid are to go abroad or join a USL team sponsored academy. The sooner we have full free agency from the youth ranks on up, the better it will be. The quality of academies and FO's will have to improve substantially because talent identification and development will critical to a team's commercial success. As pointed out earlier, Dumpster Diving Dave only got interested in TKDP when it was apparent another team was sniffing around, but he also knew that he had "rights" to Ted that he could sell regardless so there was rush to decide if DCU really was interested in him. In free agency, DDD would have remained asleep at the switch and TKDP would be wearing Orange and playing with Lucho.

19. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Yup! Good post

20. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    I came across this on twitter today.

It's dated June 2023, but for us at least, it lists several guys who have already signed first team contracts in the list of Top 10 "prospects." Not sure how they are defining prospect, or if they are just hopelessly out of date.

I think their critique of DCU not taking advantage of the talent in the area is accurate.

Anyways, I found it interesting and thought I would pass along.

I did note that the top prospect for Columbus is Owen Presthus, who I gather is Tom's kid. Man do I feel old...

https://www.ussoccercollective.com/mls/mls-academy-rankings

Daniel le Rouge2, Winoman and song219 repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, GumbyG and Winoman repped this.
  22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every once in a while, the DCU organization does something that might make you think they're not an utter joke. But that impression never lasts long.

23. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    El Diablo hired as U15 academy coach:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/08/16/marco-etcheverry-dc-united-academy-coach/

He was voted league MVP in 1998. In eight years, he recorded 37 goals and 114 assists over 191 regular season matches and 23 playoff games.

Last year, Etcheverry was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in Frisco, Tex.

“The first thing you notice is his passion for the game,” Ouckama said. “You still see it. He lights up like he’s still a player.”

In other moves, United appointed Mattar M’Boge, an assistant coach at second-division affiliate Loudoun United, to also oversee the under-19 squad. Phil Gordon, formerly with MLS’s Orlando City, will guide the U-17s and Phil Nana, a former D.C. academy assistant, will handle the U-14s.

sitruc, dadman, John L and 4 others repped this.
  24. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fall UPSL schedule is out. Yesterday, the listing below said DC United Academy and now says DC United U19.

https://premier.upsl.com/schedule/

Check under DMV South for the schedule.

The DMV South Premier Division is 11 teams this fall, with each team playing everyone else once; half at home, half away.

Based on attending a few games in the spring season, I note that locations/times sometimes change, so keep an eye on the schedule.

Home games listed at Segra Field. Away games are slated for Arlington (Wakefield High School), Falls Church (Meridian High School), Alexandria (Limerick Field), Leesburg (VA Revolution Sportsplex), and Glen Allen (near Richmond; Deep Run High School).

sitruc, John L, Yowza and 1 other person repped this.