DC United 2004 Playoff Run CD

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by GUTuna, Oct 18, 2004.

1. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    A message and plea to all (but especially those who will be on the bus up to the Armpit of America):

I've gotten really fired up by our recent run of good form into the playoffs and I finally decided to sack up and go through with an idea I've had for awhile to make a CD of songs to fire me up for DC United games. I wanted to put one together this week so we could play it on the bus as we headed into the Meadowlands. So I'm looking for input. I've already got some ideas, which I'll place below. But be kind, I realize that many people on here have strong ideas about music as well as soccer. I'm not looking to please everybody, but rather strike a happy medium as I pull this together. Also, I don't have a file sharing program, so everything is going to have to come from my rather medium sized CD collection.

IMPORTANT: If anyone has a copy of that old song that they used to play in the stadium circa 96-98 "We gonna be Un-i-ted..." I'd like to get a copy. At the time I thought it was as stupid as that piece of crap that Phillips had done up for the national team. Now it's just part of my positive memories about the glory days, and it's grown on me.

Other ideas:

Intro to The Final Countdown - Alan Parsons Project (Somewhat NBA, but a good starter)

Black in Black -AC/DC (don't think I need to explain on this one)

Raise What's Left of the Flag - Flogging Molly (Great band and gets me so fired up and reminds me of the SE/BB)

Cup of Life - Ricky Martin (WC '98, yeah sure it's Ricky Martin, but it's soccer and cup focused)

Lost Yourself - Eminem (It's the title track from the DC video this year)

We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister (I'm fed up with losing, the Rothenburg trophy was, and always shall be, OURS! Agreed?)

Maybe An Upbeat Salsa Track - Probably Rosario (Gets me in the mood for some one touch football)

Irish Folk Track, Probably Up Against The Buachalawns - The Chieftains (Just drums and pipes!)

Jump - Van Halen (Makes those stands bounce)

Ride or Die - DMX (You think this is a game?, You think this is a motherf---ing game???)

Tough Calls:

Fly Like An Eagle - Steve Miller Band (Another 96-98 stadium track, but too mellow?)

I Love LA - Randy Newman (Sure, the cup is in LA this year, but la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la, LA SUCKS ASS!)?

Yellow Submarine - The Beatles (We all laugh at the yellow football team!)

We are the Champions - Queen (A sports anthem, but too presumptious?)

That's just a start. Please throw your ideas out there. I'll try and get it together by Saturday. Fits nicely in that new DC United CD case from Sunday night!!!

2. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    I'll allow you the Eminem track, but only if you nix the Ricky Martin.

;)

I think this is an interesting idea, but one that surely will produce a lot of diverging opinions.

So, for what it's worth, I'll offer up two more suggestions:

1) Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones (obvious reference to 'black')
    2) anything by U2 (because they are comprehensively the best band ever and everyone loves all of their songs on any occasion) :D

3. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Yeah, that's a good call.

Maybe also the Elvis/JXL Remix - A Little Less Conversation (from the Nike Soccer commercial)

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How can you not have a mix like this without "Eye of the Tiger"?

Sachin

5. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Amazing Grace on the Bagpipes?

6. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I think We are the Champions has more effect if preceeded by We Will Rock You.

7. LowEnd

LowEnd New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Method Man has a great track called Blackout, pile on some more hip hop.

And not to give Greg Lalas any reason to think that 80s metal is coming back, or that he should be writing for that matter, but didn't the Scorpions have a record called Blackout...there's gotta be a track called Blackout on there somewhere, right?

Great idea. More coming soon.
    If someone ever recorded the drum circle at halftime, a few minutes of that would be a nice interlude.

8. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I know I'm being a nit-picking little beehotch but Eminem's track is called "Lose Yourself". I've got it on my computer if you need it, its uncensored though.

9. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Although I won't be there, I'd recommend Let's Get It Started by the Black Eyed Peas.

10. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Ok. Everyone seems to be missing "Another one bites the Dust". Wyclef Jean <sp> did a remix of that which is pretty good too.

Paint it Black works well too :)

-dave

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    "The Final Countdown" is by Europe, not APP.

You should add the songs from the DCU Song thread as well.

12. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can anyone record 'Johnnie Walker is a 14 year old's b!tch' before Saturday? :D

13. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny Cash: The Man in Black (last year when we went up for the free SE bus trip it was shortly after Johnny died. We listened to a lot of Cash going up and we won that game).

K

14. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Considering where we're going, ACDC's 'Highway to Hell' would be appropriate

15. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think I might DRIVE after seeing this thread :D

16. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I can't believe no one mentioned it yet:
    House of Pain- Jump around

17. Hezbolt

Hezbolt New Member

Jun 4, 2001
    La Norte
    Also from the scorpions

Rock you Like a huriccane (6:2)

18. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RAGE against the machine...

~~worm~~

19. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    :eek:

Did someone really suggest Ricky Martin and Europe on this mix CD?

OK, K you better stand up and put a stop to this immediately, before it gets way out of hand! :D

20. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way man, I love Ricky ( as he's so easy on the eyes! ;) ) and The Final Countdown is a classic (hey, I go to Caps games!)

Actually, this is an awesome idea. Dave, Paul and I went on a bus trip with the Caps to Continental Arena 2 years ago and one of the guys put together a very similiar CD with the songs they play at Caps games (they had one for everyone on the bus). GU Tuna, if you'd like to make up a bunch, let me know and I'll see what the SEs can kick towards making some up.

K

21. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Thunderstruck -- AC/DC
    Big Balls -- AC/DC

"We've got the biggest balls of all!"

22. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I might be testing those emergency windows for an escape when Ricky Martin is played.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please, after a few beers I suspect you'll be the first to start swinging your hips around! :p

K

24. Begbie

Begbie New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    La Barra Brava
    Gavin's United song better be in there and a few cuts from Barra brother Jeff Forbes, winner of the epic watch last night! A punk rocker with a three grand watch? Hmmm.

Sorry but those are some banged up songs.

How about Vlad and Srdan singing "Berzerker!"

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

???