Pre-match: DC @ San Jose

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If you’re going to suck you might as well try. Ben didn’t try. His tactics were dreadful to watch and relied on moments of individual brilliance. So does Losada for the moment, but at least he’s trying. Losada at least can point to his team and say, “I can’t play the way you hired me to play with that hot garbage. Get me better players!” Any old scrub can play Olsen’s “system.” I would argue that Olsen’s “tactics” lead to Kasper haphazard collection of vagabond players anyway.

superdave, Winoman, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Ben's teams were often like those lower tier teams making a run in the FA Cup competition. Inspiring watching cast-offs, has-beens and never-weres go toe to toe with the "big boys." Problem was that you know it always will end short of the prize. As I said earlier, half of this squad will be gone by the start of next season, after two transfer windows, we will have a much better take on Losada's system and his ability to make it work in MLS. Before then, just retreat to your "happy place" and emerge to watch DCU and then return there to feel better.

Eastern Bear, Winoman, PSURoss and 2 others repped this.
  3. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

a lazy Kasper, nah you are confused.............................:D:D:D:D:D

4. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So based on his predecessor’s track record he’s got 5-7 years of losing ahead of him before he is held accountable?

He was not brought in to “win” with what we have. Based on the interviews and stories around his hiring he has an idea and a tactical plan he will work on implementing here. I believe that he was even quoted saying the first part of the season could be rough.

This is all Ashton’s fault, right?

shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  5. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most young players don’t become superstars. That doesn’t mean they can’t become decent journeyman players. They have a chance under a different coach/system. The didn’t have that chance under DK/BO.

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn we're only 3 games into the season.

Bluesfan, Freestyle2000, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. DC United scored a goal Saturday night so that's like a tie.

dadman, Eastern Bear, fatbastard and 4 others repped this.
  8. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To add to that, DC won the xG battle, 1.7-1.6. It's not like the performance was *that* bad.

Freestyle2000 and Winoman repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are kind of a mess in the offensive end once the ball is turned over. It really should be 2-3 passes and a shot.

Winoman repped this.
  10. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if you're really going to see that until either a) Kamara and/or Robertha are fully fit and ready to go, and b) there's less of a gap between the forward trio and the midfield.

Winoman repped this.
  11. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Obviously DCU is poor and has many injuries atm.

What was alarming for me was the glaring LACK of basic football IQ shown by the majority of our players. Regardless of whether or not a player fits into a system ideally or not, professional players should be expected to perform the basics. Its still early in the season, so I don't know if its poor coaching techniques or just really dumb players.

1. Several occasions we had 2-3 players within 3 feet of eachother, nearly bumping into eachother in both the offensive phase and defensive phase. That just flat out cannot happen. Really poor spacing and terrible team shape.
    2. Another example- I know Seitz is our backup GK. However, his positioning and footwork is atrocious. He should never been beaten near post from 20yd out on the 2nd goal. Really poor. He's on his heels and looks uncomfortable constantly. That is poor coaching for the GK.
    3. Lastly, when facing opponents with more pace...the last thing you do is try to beat them in a footrace side by side. You take a different angle and beat them to a spot. Let them stay wide, move inside, stay compact and allow more defenders to come back to help. This is stuff I learned on travel teams before high school FFS.

...could list more, its just mind boggling. I refuse to believe its all coaching. Really just think we have a crop of low IQ players.

All that said- I'm looking forward to see how we look when everyone is healthy and this system is implemented with all starting players. We will look better.

dadman, Winoman, John L and 2 others repped this.
  12. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. a complete lack of being able to make a successful pass with the ball.

13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was told he is a Belgian Genius so I hold him to a higher standard.

Olsen went from player, to assistant to head coach with no previous head coaching experience so yes I hold Losada to a higher standard.

It is always Ashton's fault. ;):D;):D

fatbastard repped this.
  14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but as of this game, Hines-Ike is no longer the only player to score for or against us :p

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ashton is similar to Jay Heaps - everything bad is his fault.

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    OwnGoal can make clutch goals but he is never a consistent scorer.

dadman, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ben was forced to start coming around last year by injury and congestion. Honestly though, I don't yet see solid evidence of Losada playing the kids for development's sake, either.

I think Kellyn Acosta is Nyeman's floor. The other guys might end up as journeymen, especially if we don't give them time.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losada isn't playing the kids because outside of Nyeman, they're all hurt.

19. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitness must not have been a priority under DK/BO - all of the injuries we've dealt with over the last decade seems to support that. I'm hoping once everyone gets fit they can peak at the right time.

GumbyG repped this.
  20. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big issue there is you not going to win much with just journeymen players. A few perhaps but your squad needs better than average players with a sprinkling of game-changers. Our DCU team is nowhere near that mix.

21. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that lots of young players are a key element in Losada's system and plan; get them young and cheap, make them super fit, press and attack constantly, and sell the standouts. Rinse and repeat.

22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Beerschot this season, he played one u-23 guy for very limited minutes, from what I could figure out from looking at transfermarkt. So I am skeptical until I see him playing the kids when he really doesn't have to. He really had to start Nyeman last game. Which is the other side of the coin from Pr0ner's observation:
    Everybody's hurt. :D

fatbastard and shawn12011 repped this.
  23. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think "everybody's hurt" but I think some are hurt and others haven't yet reached Losada's required level of fitness or required percentage of body fat. There must be a lot of dieting going on!

24. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players that aren't fit aren't going to help us. They will just get injured. So we can't use them.

25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I take back what I said about Owen's consistency.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.