DC / Metrostars Post Game Question [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mswietek, Oct 23, 2004.

1. mswietek

mswietek Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Norwich, CT
    Was watching on FSW and never got a good look at Eddie Stewart's goal. When you fans get back from the stadium can you shed some light? Was Eddie off sides or not? He certainly was all by himself.

2. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i missed the goal but who is eddie stewart??

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    On the MSG broadcast they never gave a definitive angle. He surely looked offside, but the right back might have kept him on. It must have been somewhat close.

I haven't seen as much joy on Earnie's face since he came back from Holland. His time here hasn't gone as well as any of us thought. When he ran over to the travelling DC fans after the whistle and got them all riled up, it was something to behold.

4. mswietek

mswietek Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Norwich, CT

Earnie's twin brother who may (or may not) be good at sneaking through with off-sides goals.

5. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how the hell Stewart could have been onside. The refs in MLS purely suck.

6. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Never got a good angle on the CSN feed either. :(

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked to me that Earnie probably was onside.

Stewart ended up about 5 yds behind the defenders when he received the ball, which is pretty much what you'd expect if he was even with them when the longish pass was struck.

8. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Didn't see a good angle, but it looked like at least one defender on the far side was keeping him on.

9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    There was an angle on the CSN show - their "play of the game" - that showed Stewart clearly equal with one defender (possibly Pope) and behind at least one more, all of whom were on the far side of the field and pretty much out of the play.

It's the most conclusive shot, but having the football lines help determine where players are. Also, I believe the Metro defenders were jogging forward toward the DC goal when the pass took place.

Until I saw that replay, I believed Stewart was offside, but it's very close to me now.

Also, don't forget, Woly got sent in offside later on and failed to convert, so the chances even out.

Sachin

10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woly was called for that offside. So if he converted, it would not have counted.
    The refs didn't give any favors to the Metros so their home field was no advantage. There was also a close call on a pk in the 2nd half against Glen if I recall. From where I saw it, it looked like it should have been a pk. The earlier one against Gaven was questionable and a no-call looked right.

Credit should be given to Nowak for having has his team playing euro-ball. Be physical and be organized, and run a play for every dead ball situation. Metros are mediocre again, which doesn't help MLS get publicity.

Somehow I get this feeling that Fox wants Freddie in the Final just like they wanted 7-game series in baseball.

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Huh? Is FOX showing the MLS Cup final???? :confused:

12. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why our fans were so ticked off over the linesman calling an offside on Woly. Not only was he offside, he totally ******* a clear chance.

I'll agree that perhaps the foul on Glen should have been called, but the guy can not stand on his feet. A slight shoulder to shoulder challenge and he falls on his @$$ begging for a foul. Then when he actually does get fouled, the referee is going to question the play because he already knows that Glen has a tendency to overexagurate (i don't even know if I spelled that right). But I can't agree that other that the Earnie Stewart offside non-call the rest of the game was reffed in DC favor. I thought Stott otherwise did a decent job. DC finished their chances, the Metros didn't, plain and simple.

Metros are mediocre, but I don't see how that doesn't help MLS. DC United is that flagship club of the league. They are the most successful team in the league history, they have the most fans throughout US (yeah, bandwagon fans), and they have Freddy Adu. If you think MLS wants Metros to advance over DC United you're wrong. Prime example is how differently the Adu and Szetela situations were handled. But this doesn't take anything away from DC outplaying the Metros last night.

Your feeling is correct, except its ABC and MLS that want Freddy in the final. Too bad all the kiddies will be upset when little Freddy doesn't even step on the field.

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that goal is very to close ... to my heart now. :p

14. geohiller

geohiller Member

Oct 1, 1999
    I haven't seen the CSN replay, but I was in Section 131 and I said to my son next to me that Earnie was moving offside (before the pass was made). As far as I could tell, it was offside.

But as I said, I haven't seen the CSN replay.

George

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear God, Pay Attention

Which fox wants Freddy?

[​IMG]

I don't know that I'd call them foxes, but whatever.

16. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I watch the replay the more i think maybe Eddie :) Stewart may have been onsides. When the ball is played there is about 1 second where we can not see the bottom of the screen. Then I see a Metro defender just standing there walking and then Earnie sprinting about 15 yards ahead of him. I think maybee when that ball was first played Earnie was ahead of the defender on his flank but still behind one of the other defenders, earnie took of and the defender just raised his hand and didn't pursue because he thought he was the last man.

Just a thought, but I find it hard to believe any assistant could miss one that badly. If he was off I bet it was damn close.

17. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dear God, Pay Attention

not foxes but i'd do them, at least the one on the right

18. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, great. What is this? Automatic BS poster response #7? :rolleyes:

19. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR

I diverge.

It is my impression that we will be seeing this picture frequently whenever young Freddy is discussed. At first I felt sorry for him. Then I remembered the fashion model pictures of Clint, LD and Pablo and realized how lucky Adu is. I know which image I would prefer.

Yet more evidence that Freddy is the real deal. :)