DC-Metro Done Deal (?)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 18, 2002.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    abmod to metrostars?

let's do the time warp again... let's do the time warp again..

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Bergin reports that Etcheverry re-signed at a lower wage.

He's yet to hear official word, but presumably the United-MetroStars deal has gone through now.

4. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    cool, that would pave the way for hristo to dc as a player/assistant coach

and you used the magic word, but others will miss it

NOT CONFIRMED, NOT FACT

bergin has this stuff going in his rumor's forum, he won't declare it as happened til he knows for sure

5. cafrine

cafrine New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    is GONE
  6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Bergin, late this morning MLS told him that although Etchverry was kicking up a bit of a stink, he could classify him as signed.

Marco backed out at the last minute, though, and there're supposedly rehashing the details out again this afternoon.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm negotiating this thing for MLS, I say "fine Marco, take your chances in the Mexican league".

Better yet, I hear a certain Saudi team is looking to replace Marmaduke Diallo.

8. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    You know what? This whole situation is terrible. We are going to give up Pope... and now:

United also is working on a deal with Chicago that could bring forward-midfielder Dema Kovalenko and forward Hristo Stoitchkov to Washington. Second-year midfielder Justin Mapp and draft picks could go to the Fire.

Great. Lets just trade another good player away. Good job again, DC United brass is the best.

9. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    mdesimone1, you are so right... i mean dc is gettin rid of good players on a team that sucks

they aren't freeing cap space, getting draft picks, allocations and new players to actually make themselves better

oh wait, they are getting rid of the star players that haven't produced and made d.c. a playoff team... they've missed it the last two years, which is pretty damn hard to do in mls

and in return they get a living, breathing chance of being a decent team, instead of the pile of crap they have been

take a look at what they are doing, don't see a name and freak out

what they are trying to do is very smart and going to get the fans screaming bloody murder, but that's cool... if you want to keep players that aren't producing and continue to wait who knows how long on prospects to pan out, even though prospects are called that because they don't always pan out... go right ahead, but it's not going to do you any good

10. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
  11. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    Dealing Moreno is the only decision there is. He has been the most dangerous player in DC's existence but he is not the type of player he was even 2 years ago. Plus they have 2 young forwards who will be starting, Quaranta and Quintanilla, so he is expendable. I would rather see Pope staying but maybe they had to include him to the Metros to make the deal go through.
    The only question I have is the Chicago deal. Why are they trading for Stoichkov? How many games did he play last year and how many points did he produce? Kovalenko would be a good addition though.