DC Kits

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by UVA-United, Jul 5, 2005.

1. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Since seeing Chicago's alternate kit based on the city's flag I have been wondering if United has ever looked at the possibility of something like that or maybe adding the flag as a patch to the current kits.

Something small on a sleeve or upper chest area. Just wondering what people would think about this addition or idea.

And as always...if you know anything about the sale of the team...please post it.

2. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I liked the road kit with the three red stripes across the front. If you took out a stripe and added two red stars, you wouldn't have Adidas, would you.

3. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about something to represent the city? A crack pipe perhaps?

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Or a beat cop on jaywalking/bicycle spot check/booster seat duty? Complete with donuts?

5. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A stolen car stripped down to the chassis perhaps?

Actually, I like the idea of the DC flag on a patch on the opposite sleeve that has the MLS logo.

6. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    How about a yuppie in front of a "fixer-upper" complaining about the neighborhood?

Sachin

7. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

How about a picture of Marion Barry on the DCU sleeves! :D

8. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or a Brazil flag in honor of our favorite "at large" candidate?

9. deadhead

deadhead New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does anyone know how long united is slated to have their current home jersey. i just bought one a couple weeks ago and i am still kind of worried that they will just change them next year. a third kit also sounds cool; we need another kit without white as the main color for road games.

deadhead

10. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United jerseys tend to come and go fast...depends on what Adidas wants to front.

~worm~

11. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm fairly certain United's kits are supposed to continue as they are every year. Every 2 years or so Adidas will change the style somewhat with piping or new meshes or whatever their R&D folks come up with that is cutting edge. But (I think it was Payne) DC told Adidas back in 1997 or 1998 that they didn't want to ever have their home shirt changed from black with the 3 horizontal stripes. For the most part it has stood the test of time from 1996 to what it is today. So major changes will not be happening to the shirt anytime soon.

Although, and this is merely speculation here, since Adidas owns the rights to the 3 stripe, what if Nike had purchased the rights to MLS and all the teams were changing to Nike products would DC have to forego the 3 horizontal stripes. My guess is yes

12. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Although I am a DC resident, and love the District, I'd hate to see United put something District specific on their kits at the exclusion of Virginia and Maryland.

How about a car-jacker on the kit to represent Maryland, and a machete with a bloody hand for Virginia. Fair?

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    See, I just want a donkey and an elephant taking a dump on a DC Congressional Voting ballot... :rolleyes:

My understanding is that MLS and Adidas change their jersey designs every two years. For DC United, we change our home shirt and away shirt on alternating years. IIRC, the home shirt will be different next season.

14. xboxmaddplaya

xboxmaddplaya New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Woodbridge, VA
    BRILLIANT!!!

15. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    There aren't enough stars on the DC flag to put on a United jersey.

16. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    :D

It should have Taxation Without Representation on it too. Mayor Williams will spend a lot of Revelations tax money buying a few cases of them. ;)

17. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree with you to an extent (and I'm a Virginian OMG I think that is the first time I have admitted that in a public forum) but the name of the Team is Metro Washington DC United, it's DC United.

18. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 New Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's generally a two year cycle for a jersey. The white jersey is new for 2005. I would speculate that a new black jersey will roll out for next year, since this is the second year for that one. Also, look for what France or Germany are wearing for WC 2006, and a good bet will be that's what United will be wearing (except black and red.....with5 stars :D ) in 2006.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kinda like the idea of using the District flag in the design somehow.

20. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    I agree.

My point was to tease those suburban fans who were poking fun at the District.