DC fans love when Landon takes his shirt off

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by AndyMead, Nov 24, 2003.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Explanation wanted

Is it just me or were you guys cheering for Landon Donovan?
    [​IMG]

2. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Sitting next to the Fire fans, it was easy to pull for the Quakes. SJ has less overall trophies too.

Plus, it was a beautiful goal and our banners made SportsCenter.

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

Great photo. Thanks for cheering for the Quakes!

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I imagine it's because they saw an actual goal scored in an actual playoff game against Chicago. :rolleyes:

5. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Amen, I was just happy to see Chicago miss out on the treble.

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    [​IMG]

I think Bison was about to charge the field to hug Landon
    [​IMG]

7. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    No offense to Mapp, but I was rooting for Goose. I guess he'll be going for "one for the thumb" in 2004.

-Digital

8. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    He might be going for "one" but he'll have to find another appendage for it since he's already got five.

Uh, right?

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it just me or is landon really think in that picture.

10. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Great to see the SE's and a couple of Barra tees get some ESPN press. :D
    GREAT seats BTW. Whoever scored those rules!! I hope ya'll picked up several tabs for them.

11. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. Had to hold back Victory from doing so, though. :D

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I think we started the "You need Kevin Terry" song right after that, which led to lots of flipping off by the Chicago fans next to us. :)

Good meeting you at the Bash, Stogey.

13. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In. A. Nutshell.

Good meeting you, Stogey.

14. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    We just got lucky - I ordered the seats from Gil, the ticket person at the Galaxy who I had been put in touch with. He put us in that spot - next to the main group of Fire fans in one corner behind the goal. We got closeups of 4 goals, the PK save, and a couple of Razov choke-jobs...not bad :)

Gil is a DC fan, incredibly enough, working for the Galaxy. Originally, he reserved us a bunch more seats, saying "you guys will be in it". Wishful thinking, of course...

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    did you talk to him before or after Bennie went down? If before, it really did look like we had a shot for a while there.

16. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    didnt FIFA rule that you can no longer take off your shirt during goal celebrations?

17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Wednesday, July 2, 2003

Players risk getting yellow card

Associated Press

GENEVA -- Keep that shirt on, Brandi Chastain.

FIFA's executive committee decided Saturday that players must keep their shirts on during games and banned all celebratory post-goal stripping.

"There were several awkward situations at the Confederations Cup,'' FIFA president Sepp Blatter was quoted as saying in Wednesday's editions of the Swiss newspaper Blick. "One player needed five minutes to put his jersey back on because his vest was sewn into it.''

Blatter also said the sport's governing body intends to consider whether to impose a heat limit on games. Last week, Cameroon's Marc-Vivien Foe collapsed and died during the semifinals of the Confederations Cup in France.

Temperatures were in the 90s during the game. The cause of Foe's death has not been announced.

Blatter plans to attend Foe's funeral Thursday in Lyon and his memorial service on July 12 in Cameroon's capital, Yaounde.

FIFA first introduced the ban on shirt removal in 1996 but then relaxed it. Details of the new regulation will be distributed shortly to national soccer associations before the upcoming season.

In 1999, Chastain famously pulled off her shirt after scoring the winning goal for the United States in the Women's World Cup final against China.

Players who ignore the new regulation risk receiving a yellow card.

just found the info on the ban on shirtless celebratinos
    i might be getting old and bitter, but going by the rules... if he took off his shirt for both goals...

anyway, great pictures!!!

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes and it get enforced about as often as DC's illegal gun law does.

19. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Landon's abs was just one of the many great things about our trip to LA!

K

20. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    To the shock of many stunned Smurfles, quite a few Galaxy fans were also cheering for the Quakes.

1. We didn't want Chicago winning the treble. We'd like to be the first for that.

2. Was it just me, or did Chicago (and their fans) seem a bit more arrogant towards the end of the season that they were going to take it all? That's annoying.

3. The press had practically annointed CHicago the crown. Gotta pull for the underdog.

4. The whole West Coast versus East Coast thing.

5. Who can't help but cheer madly when a team hangs four on Segroves' team? In the championship game, no less.

6. Some of us believe Agoos deserved the comeback player of the year award - for surviving the metaphorical crucifixion after WC and keeping his pride and skills relatively intact.

7. Ya'll -- the final was played in our house - we wanted to see lots of goals! It's not like we've seen too many of them this season.

8. Landon with his shirt off - gotta say, as a girl - works for me. Lucky Bianca. BTW, he's not thin - just extremely fit. Seriously, few players work as hard as he does, and it shows.

9. When a team beats you, part of you wants that team to go all the way - "We lost to the champions, but we nearly beat them!"

10. I happen to think the city of Chicago is pretty cool - but San Jose? Suburbia run amock. What else does the poor city have going for it? They might even still lose their precious Quakies. Let them have this win.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were cheering a great play that lead to a great goal, right in front of us, and it wasn't for Chicago ;-) Great camera work, as they missed me by like 3 or 4 seats. I think we represented quite well as a group. Great time. I can't wait to watch the game when I get home from work tonight.
    The only bad thing I have to say abut Sunday was that they ran out of Heineken before I was done drinking...... and as usual, they were unprepared to sell enough MLS Cup merchandise, they were horribly short of shirts and hats and pins. I did get a SJ champonship hat and shirt, but you had to miss the last 5 minutes to do that. They ran out of L and XL while I was paying and I got one of the first 3 out of the box. I saw the Chicago champs tees before the game was over, but the guy refused to sell me one ;-)

22. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The most remarkable moment of the game for me was when LD scored his second and managed to keep friggin shirt on for once.

23. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    Re: Explanation wanted

All those pics and not one of the budweiser girl. Shame Andy shame

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: Re: DC fans love when Landon takes his shirt off

Actually changes to the Laws of the Game don't affect competitions that are ongoing at the time of the changes (usually in June or July). Sometimes leagues that know a change is coming will implement it early (MLS did this a few years ago), but most of them just wait until the following year. I expect this rule to be enforced next season in MLS.