"DC fans are garbage"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JuanMa, Aug 20, 2008.

1. JuanMa

JuanMa Member

Jul 22, 2003
    MD
    Sorry about the title. I tweaked Cuau's quote and put it in our context. I cannot imagine a DCU player ever saying something like that and remaining on the team, but for the sake of understanding what Chicago fans are going through, let's imagine that has just happened.

What would be the appropriate response from DC fans?

The closest we have gotten to that kind of disrespect came from Quaranta when the Galaxy played DCU at RFK, but he was not with DCU.

Thoughts?

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it's bridge that should be crossed when we get to it?

3. DocAnaheim

DocAnaheim New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Arlington,Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider the source Guys!!!

Go from there!!

Are you Entertained???

:D Docanaheim

4. Irelando

Irelando New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Here
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree
    Nice one on your signature,
    He will truly be missed

5. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a closer at the matter. I think Blanco might be calling the kettle black, but he is right to some extent. But he is on the field with cameras aimed, ref's, officials, and other athletes, but when the crowd gets drunk and rowdy and starts taking out on some stadium security guard just trying to make a living, thats when the passion goes too far. I commend Blanco for calling out his own supporters and protecting others employed or hired by his club.

I'd like to think with all the smoke bombs, beer throwing cigar smoking that goes on, that DC United fans still have a pretty good relationship with security. People need to still remain respectful to the authority and maintain good judgment. If the DC fans ever truly went too far, I'd hope someone on the team has the courage to do say something about it.

6. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I don't think the issue is that anyone called out bad behavior. There are less dismissive and inflammatory ways of doing it than calling your customers 'garbage'. The way he did it shows real arrogance.

7. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when a certain large group of fans conducts a planned protest at the game, it's pretty obvious who he is talking about.

8. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Who owns Monterey Security, the company at Toyota Park?

9. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Was this a response to what I wrote?

10. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all I say about the matter, for a guy like Blanco to condemn Hispanic fans for their behavior says a lot. I'm not going to be one of these crazy bloggers who has to dissect one line of footballers broken English into a freakin' essay.

I interpret his statement as: I am Blanco, I am Hispanic, and I call a group of Chicago fans garbage for claiming racism against Hispanics when they drink too much and break the rules that security is hired to enforce.

I don't have a history of this 'bad guy' Blanco cataloged in my head, I don't have the time or energy. I'm just not going to take a bust up on a football field and turn it into a Blanco internet bashing party. I would suggest if you don't like the guy, you don't let him waste your time doing so.

The bad only thing that can from these statements is his reputation is hurt and then maybe it brings some press to a situation, which the group he is condemning obviously wants.

I could be wrong, its just how I see it.

11. Frog Boy

Frog Boy Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    It's true, we are Garbage, we're only happy when it rains.

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A "security guard just trying to make a living" does not call the Latino fans "spics" and "wetbacks".

Your description of what happened contradicts the statements of everyone present. If you have evidence to the contrary, please let's see it. Otherwise, you're absurdly off base here.

13. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis

You should certainly feel free to live in your dispassionate, detached cloud, but you should consider a couple of things.

First, there is a long (documented) history of unfair treatment of Hispanic fans at Toyota Park. To dismiss it as the rantings of drunk fans is glib at best.

Second, Blanco has a long history of poor behavior. You say "for a guy like Blanco to condemn Hispanic fans for their behavior says a lot." Yes, it does. It says that he cares so little for one of his core constituencies that a) he isn't willing to see what ongoing investigations find, and b) he isn't willing to say something even vaguely diplomatic as might befit a superstar/DP/prima donna (you pick the phrase) You know, it might even have a little something to do with his personal bodyguard owning the security agency accused of misbehavior.

You want to defend Blanco. That's fine. In your eagerness to do so, don't dismiss the concerns that many, many others have.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. It reminds us that his personal bodyguard owns the security company involved. No, that's not a joke: the security personnel accused of racist behavior were representing a security company owned by Blanco's personal bodyguard.

Your eyesight is bad.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as the original post/topic of the thread is concerned:

1. While I cringe at the idea of defending Blanco, there is apparently disagreement between Spanish speakers over the correct translation to English of what Blanco said. The difference of opinion is whether the statement expressed a negative opinion about the fans, or about what the fans did (the anti-racism protest). I don't speak Spanish, and have no opinion of my own. And further, even if he was criticizing the protest, I think that's a pretty crappy thing to do on his part. I just want to make clear that some listeners to the audio transcript disagree that he said "the fans are [garbage]."

2. What does this have to do with DC United?

16. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Er, DC fans are garbage?

In fact, we're the MOST garbage. Or the garbagiest.

Duh.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Then since DC United holds the Supporters Shield, it should properly be named the Garbage Shield. :D

18. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First I am going to assume everyone present is a fan, I am not sure where the security guard forum is.

I have not offered any evidence and don't have any to offer(if you have documented proof, no forums or blogs please, then please feel free to quote it). I think that shinning a light on this situation is a good thing. I just don't think Blanco calling the fans garbage should be focal point, I think the situation that made him say it should be, no matter who is at fault.

This forum topic started off as a 'how would we feel if a player said this about us?' The question should be 'how would we feel if a player said this about us when there is an ongoing struggle between fans and security with racist tension?'

I personally think the MLS has a bad timing when it comes to these matters that may involve bad publicity, they either rush in or wait until players have to start making comments to the press.

I don't appreciate the personal attacks. My statements are well thought out and supported. I only hope the next word after glib on your learn a word a day e-mails isn't rantings.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Blanco's bodyguard and translator

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The reporter who wrote Blanco quote in question has a blog post about the whole thing. I'm sure someone else has a link to it.

21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the public reports on the subsequent communications/meetings between the Chicago Fire and the ISA, even Monterrey Security and the team F.O. have not made the accusation that the entire Sector Latino was drunk. Meanwhile, yes fans, but fans who are not members of Sector Latino at all, have asserted (in significant numbers) that alcohol was not a factor. It's hard to imagine an alcohol issue that would require the removal of the entire Sector Latino, but none of the non-Latino members of Section 8 surrounding them.

Again, if you have evidence to the contrary that supports your accusations of drunkenness being an issue, please bring it forward. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

22. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, also . . .

While I'm not Matt and cannot speak for him, his use of the word "glib" was correct. You yourself described what occurred by "when the crowd gets drunk and rowdy and starts taking out on some stadium security guard just trying to make a living, thats when the passion goes too far"; but then you subsequently admitted that you have no evidence supporting that as a description of what happened, and no basis to contradict the large number of eyewitnesses who say otherwise. That doesn't seem particularly "well thought out and supported". And from M-W,

glib adj. 1 a: marked by ease and informality : nonchalant b: showing little forethought or preparation : offhand <glib answers> c: lacking depth and substance : superficial <glib solutions to knotty problems>

Seems like a fair use of the word to me.

23. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Dude, learn the meaning of the word before you say I use it incorrectly.

I don't do personal attacks. I pointed out why I thought your statements were neither well thought out nor supported.

And your last little comment was unnecessary (and bordering on a personal attack, I might add.)

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts? I only have one.

This is a pretty stupid thread.

25. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Is this true Matt?? Do you get all of your big, fancy words from a word-of-the-day email??

This whole time i just thought you were smart!

;-)