News: DC acquires John DiRaimondo (via waiver draft)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by United fury, Mar 27, 2009.

1. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Excuse me but why the **** are we picking up another midfielder when our D is in tatters? Who's driving this crazy train?

3. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    For what it's worth, Ives says we're one of three teams chasing Jeff Parke, who failed to sign with Seattle. He ain't Best IX, as some of the Red Bull fans seemed to think, but he's solid.

Unfortunately, he's not exactly able to play just yet because of a 'roid ban; he has four games left to serve.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_...ncouver-as-sounders-shop-his-rights.html#more

D.C. United also makes sense because of the team's need for central defense help. The club did sign Dejan Jakovic and Anthony Peters in the off-season, but Parke could still step right in and start for D.C., after serving the four remaining matches of his suspension, that is.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    What makes you think anyone is driving? Or that the train is still on the tracks?

That's not actually what he says. He just says we're one of the teams who might be able to use Parke and, hence, that it would "make sense" if he were to end up here. But at no point does he actually say we're "chasing" Parke or in any way actively trying to sign him.

5. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw this over in SoccerInsider I thought we has signed one of those one named Brazilian players.

Here is hoping he plays like one (I am toasting with my glass full of Captain Morgan's Reserve)!

6. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    From reading the Rapids' board, he's a d-mid. I fail to see why we would need a fourth/fifth d-mid on the team when we have more pressing needs elsewhere on the field.

7. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elementary my dear Watson, because they are going try Ben at sweeper!

8. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ben to rightback I could see happening, but not sweeper. Then again, in a 3-5-2, the d-mid is pretty much a sweeper role, so it's not terribly farfetched.

9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandon Barklage appears to have been a teammate of DiRaimondo's for a year at St. Louis U. Perhaps he put in a good word to Tommy to go get this guy. But I agree, midfield isn't where I would be looking as things stand now.

BTW, in Goff's blog someone claims DiRaimondo scored a perfect 1600 on his SAT's, so he should be a quick learner.

10. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    OK Mr. SAT... let's see how good you are

A young inexperienced midfielder is sprinting wildly at 12 MPH from the edge of the DC 18 yard box in the direction of the opposing goal. At the very same moment an aging Brazilian forward is slowly loping back from an attack at 5 MPH in a direct line with the inexperienced midfielder. Assuming there is a 3 MPH wind straight in the face of the young player, but also that the aging forward has slightly under-tied his right shoe, throwing his gait off by 2.5%, and further, assuming their speeds remain constant and the shoe does not come off, and they simply run over any opposing player in their path in such a complete and satisfying way that it does not slow their momentum in to any measurable degree and finally assuming the opposing keeper's wild downfield clearance is struck such that it hits them when their two heads collide in a spectacular, bloody and hopefully-not-tie-inducing collision:

1) when they meet, where will they be on the field?

2) how long will it take Tommy to make some decision about taking one or both of them out of the game?

If the new kid can answer both questions he deserves to start.

11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    PS -- Bootsy, its rhetorical. Step away from the slide rule...:D

12. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heck, if he answer that he should not only be starting, but also coaching the team!

Come to think of it, he should also be in charge of getting DC United a new stadium.

13. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was joking.

Ben could not play the outside back than he could play the outside midfield...

d-mid a sweeper!?! I guess for a different 3rd of the field...

14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    1) occupying the same spot in the space time continuum

2)
    Tommy: "Chad, do you think we need to take these guys out?"

Chad: "***!!%$%%)#@ do you think I'm a ***!@@@#$ mindreader? I don't know. Think for yourself."

Tommy: (ponders)

15. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    1) It's a trick question. There is no collision because Marrufo has already whistled the play dead to call a handball in the box on the young, inexperienced midfielder.

2) Tommy: "Chad, go ask Coach if he wants to take these guys out"

Chad: "...Uhh, Tommy? Coach isn't here any more. You're the coach now."

Tommy: "WHAT?!? When the hell did THAT happen?!?"

Chad: "About two years ago."

Tommy: "huh. Well. that explains a lot."

16. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the obvious that he doesn't fill a need for us, I think it is a good pickup.

From watching him I thought this kid has a lot of potential and certainly can contribute. which is one of those things about the Rapids that always mystified me, they seem to have a bunch of talented kids with a lot of potential but never seem to be able to put it together. Oh wait Clavijo was there...forgot :eek:

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the top speed of our "young, inexperienced midfielder" is only 12mph while "sprinting wildly" then the staff has made a serious mistake in signing this dude. Twelve mph is only 17.6 feet per second (right, Bootsy?), which means it would take him 17 seconds to cover 100 yards. I am sure DiRaimondo could make this calculation in his head.

18. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Well, at least I got the loping striker's speed right...

Seriously, I'll be arriving at the tailgate in a wheelchair today, so 12MPH seems like the speed of a Maserati to me right now.

19. DCfromSTL

DCfromSTL New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Fairfax
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny happens to be a good friend of mine from St Louis and I just got done speaking with him. I am very excited to get to see him play here to say the least.

:D