Davis column re Pareja & Stone

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rocket, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    Yeah, this was posted yesterday somewhere. Very good article. :)

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it might have been, but I didn't run across it.

I hope FC Dallas looks at making Pareja an assistant coach or player/coach next year.

Any player who's willing to take kicks to the shin to help a teammate develop his aggression earns high marks in my book.

4. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I heard on the radio that DMN fired about 150 employees. I hope Davis wasn't one of them.

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oscar was very open about his thoughts on Jordan. I think becasue he liked Jordan so much and thought so much of his game... except for the points in teh article. Pareja told me once that Stone could be as good as Alvarez.

Oscar told me a story about Leonel when he was 18, said he was just like Jordan. Nice guy on and off the field. Then his coach made him stand up in front of the team and insult every player in the lockerroom, and not little things like "you can't kick with your left foot" but hard, personal crap.. insulting stuff that is hard to forgive.

Oscar said after that Leonel was hard as nails on the field and not afriad of anyone. Oscar worked very hard with Jordan to get him to make this same transformation and it just never happened.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I too thought it was a great article. Just goes to show you can't teach the love/passion for the game. I try as a coach to instill the passion for the game but it is a difficult thing to do.

7. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard some layoffs were coming...

8. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    On the ticket, Norm was ranting and raving because one of the people fired was a guy that did the reporting on horse racing. Assuming he was fired because horse racing isn't really popular among the masses, I was wondering if Davis would get similar treatment.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the kind of passion that Pareja wanted out of Stone should be required out of everyone, maybe then we would still be holding hope in the playoffs.... :rolleyes:

10. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talked to Davis.... He was not get let go, he is still with DMN.

Unfortunatly former Burn beat writer Rick Alanzo, who I like persoanlly from his time on the Burn circuit, was let go.

Former soccer writer David McNabe was also let go
    as was Page 2 guy Jan Hubbard.

Steve says 20% of the sports department was let go.

11. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Thanks for the info buzz. I was worried we'd lose what little coverage we had.

12. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    Good to hear!

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point him to Frisco. FC Dallas could use a real writer for press releases and not some boob of an intern using marketing mumbo jumbo speak.

Someone who maybe knows the game and will refer to teams as something other than The Men in Red or the Red and Black.

14. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe one that knows how to use an apostrophe would come in handy.

There's a glaring error in the ULHOWA materials they were handing out at the last couple of games. How can you spend that much money and not hire a copy editor for your most obvious piece of promotional material is beyond me.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

haha, am I wrong to laugh? Sorry. Wait he bashes soccer on a regular basis, haha!

17. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's wrong to laugh because the less pricks bashing soccer, the better. I think the ultimate irony would be if the only job he could land would be to cover soccer.

18. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if that was part of the reason he left? Perhaps he could see himself becoming 'hard as nails' and just didn't want that. Pure speculation of course, but isn't that was bigsoccer is for ;)

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very astute. I could see that be a determining factor for someone. Dmids in particular have that trait. Simo smiles and whacks. Most don't give the smile.