Davids???

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by REALFOREVER, Oct 27, 2004.

1. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Rumours are that he might be leaving Inter bc he can't hold down a starting spot.

Any interest???

Inter won't ask for too much since they will want to get his salary off the books.

He does fit into Florentino's marketing, although considering they didn't show any interest in the summer...why would they now?

2. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    He would be a good fit but not a long term solution.

RM's needs are however immediate.

And he is a Galactico.

3. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    I just don't want Barca to get him and strengthen their squad...we already know what happened last year when Barca got him.

He is the only holding mid with a galactico profile that might interest Florentino.

He is obviously a short term answer and Real will still have to likely look at younger players like Mascherano.

4. ruudgullit

ruudgullit Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Peace Up,A-town Down
    I would love to see Zidane and Davids reunite in the midfield...just like old times.

5. kaberon10

kaberon10 New Member

Aug 10, 2002
    Evanston
    He is Cup tied with Inter, I believe, drastically reducing his value for this season. Barca or Real could get him, I guess, but only would be able to use him in La Liga. I'd rather have Mascherano, who could play in both and might turn out to be just as good.

6. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's the old that gives me pause.

7. echineko

echineko New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Malaysia
    perez had a chance to put in an offer for davids back when barca did. he wasnt interested then, i dont think thats changed now. it would be good to see davids in a white shirt, but i think if he does leave italy for spain it will be back to barcelona. no real reason to hope for perez to make any change to his brilliant recent signing policies, :mad:

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I never understood why Barcelona could not re-sign Davids last summer. They must have offered him tons of money. So I assumed that money was not the issue and it was just Davids wanted to remain in Italy. Things might change now, but I I do not see him returning to Barcelona. Barcelona is doing well without him. I do see why Barcelona will mess up the lineup for a new starter. Furtehrmore, there must be a reason other tahn money why Davids departed last summer. So I can see Real Madrid has a chance with him.

9. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really have nothing to say here... just looking to flame cause thats what I do best.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think barca did offer him a bunch of money, but by barca standards. last year barca really made an effort to lower wages and make sure not to give out super high (by their standards) wages anymore. the truth is that inter did offer him a lot more money, but i also do believe that he wanted to be in italy again.
    the chances of him joining barcelona in the winter are 50/50 to me, but there is no way to tell without knowing how davids feel.
    just a couple of days ago it was mentioned how the barca staff still have a good relationship with him, but there may be strange feelings with him coming back.
    i think there is just as good as a chance of him going to barca as another big team.
    i dont think he would be opposed to real, cuz he was never a real barca player.

11. ruudgullit

ruudgullit Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Peace Up,A-town Down
    This whole knock on the over 30 crowd kills me. If it was 10 years ago...yeah 30+ might be considered too old. But now training is better, nutrition is better, and I personally feel that you will see players performing at a high level into their mid 30s and beyond(they'll get out of their bodies what they put into them). Besides Davids is a workhorse and has a great motor. As far as Zidane...no national team duty will provide ample rest he hasn't had in years.

12. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of what you say is true.

If he's going to sign tomorrow, I'd welcome it. There's definitely room for him at this moment, and he's a quality player. He could be the same sort of catalyst that he was in barna last season. But if he's going to be signed over the winter break, and it's instead of Mascherano, then I'm less favorable to the deal. I'd prefer a younger player who is going to be around for a while.

13. ruudgullit

ruudgullit Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Peace Up,A-town Down
    Agreed, Mascherano would be better for the long haul for Madrid...I still fancy Davids as he is a more proven commodity albeit a little older. For this group of Galacticos though, the time is the here and now(at least the next 2 years).

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, no one knows how he feels about the situation with Barcelona. He Anyway, his options with an Italian clubs are getting slimmer. AC Milan and Juventus are out of the picture. Lazio, Parma and Roma do not have money. Palmero has money, but I doubt that he will go for a lesser club at this point? He will either head to Spain or England over the winter, In England, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea do not need a defensive midfielder. Manchester Utd needs someone to cover Keane. Where else can he go but Spain for a big club?

15. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Out of the question
    David's contract with Nike prohibits him playing for a club that is not sponsored by Nike.
    E.g. in last few years hes been at Juve, Barcelona, Inter (all Nike clubs)

At the end of last season, i dont remember which club he was really close to signing with but then it had to be called of because they were not sponsored by Nike

16. ilferrari

ilferrari New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    When Davids was at Juve they had their kit supplied by kappa and Lotto. I don't think it's such a big issue if both parties want it.

I think he will be a good buy for the short-term future. He will complement Zidane who is doing too much defensive work. Of course, where will Beckham go then?

17. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    He must of signed the Nike contract within last 2 years as that is the ONLY reason he didnt move to the club.

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    could be true, but it sounds like bs to me.

maybe he gets less money if they aren't a nike club, but prohibiting?

19. Looks like Florentino isn't interested in any acquisitions in January if this report is anything to go by...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=314620&cc=3888

20. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He was with Nike for a long time. I am sure that it was longer than 2 years. He was sort of the Nike icon for awhile. The cage commercial was for WC 2002, right? I recalled older commercial with him in it.

21. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    You're VERY sure of this? But Ronaldo, Figo and R. Carlos are also Nike icons. Or is this only for Davids? I know Davids has been with Nike for ages. I even remember him in that 'Misson' ad when Cantona was still around.

22. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    at the end of last season
    i recall the commentator saying Davids didnt sign for some club coz Nike did'nt let him
    maybe he was lying
    just saying what i heard

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When Ronaldo joined Inter Milan, Nike quickly started to sponsor Inter Milan. There was a rumor that Ronaldo had a clause with Nike and/or Nike would never allow Ronaldo in a shirt other than Nike. I thought Nike would offer Real Madrid a sponsorship deal that Perez could not refuse, but it did not happen. So may be it was not true. People said the same thing about Beckham and adidas when Nike took over MU.

24. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I highly doubt a player would sign a contract that would only let him play for a club that is sponsored by a certain brand.

I highly doubt such a contract even exists, because even a company would see that it would diminish the amount of players that would sign with them, because those players can suddenly choose from less than half the clubs they could normally work for. (i.e. possible loss of income)

This is only strengthened by Nike's poster boy - Ronaldo - playing for a club that is sponsored by Adidas. ¿Why would it be possible for him, but not for Davids?

Not that Davids is coming to Madrid anyway. Mascherano or van Bommel would be more likely, if any.