David Villa Spain National Team Call up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gamecock14, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal's Dzemaili was called for Switzerland

The Franchise and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago's Nemanja Nikolic was called in for Hungary, he declined.

xtomx repped this.
  3. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Let's consider that list you provided. See tiny little Switzerland, look further below. Keep going... pass lowly Portugal (who can't seem to beat dregs like the US), all the way down to the bottom where you'll find Italy, a scrub team with ambition to some day beat New Zealand. Look just below that and behold, England. The lowest of the low on your list. Not exactly a top team now is it.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why?

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Way to go Senor Villa

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but does he start or ride the bench? wikipedia says he started a match in Euro2016

7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just didn't want to leave the team, maybe it had something to do with trying to catch Villa as top scorer.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    does it really matter? if you are considered one of the 4 best CB's in a country that produces talent in the numbers Belgium does, I think that is pretty amazing.

9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I think England has not reached a major final, and only one semi (WC90), since the 66 WC. One of the most biased for a home team ever.

If that is major then I am good enough for the EPL at age 60.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wasn't aware if he was considered 1 of the 4 best CB's of Belgium. I just knew he got call-ups.

11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I might be taking some liberties here but in general the coach chooses who he thinks the top players are at each position that can also work well in a team setting.

If Ciman is constantly being selected and only 4 CB's are typically chosen on any 23 man roster, I have to assume he is near the top of the CB pool from Belgium.

12. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017

Well they're not calling in the 20th best CB in Belgium's pool for grits and shiggles. If he's getting called in, the coach clearly holds him in high regard.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fair assumption. I'm not harking, just wasn't sure if he starts any of the games or does he get garbage minutes. But you're def right.

Andy_B repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wouldn't you?

Actually, I have been Hungary (particularly Budapest, although was almost 10 years ago) and it is a lovely city and a nice country, current political situation notwithstanding.

Really, Hungary is pretty much out of it and the Fire are definitely in it (for the first time in 8 years!), so he felt that it was better to stay and star for the Fire towards the playoffs, as opposed to fly to Europe and (possibly) play or sit on the bench for Hungary.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm a Hungary NT fan and we're already eliminated with some poor recent results. And he generally doesn't get played much so a lot of his callups are a bit of a waste of time. Hungary NT is all about Adam Szalai now in the #9 role. Consider all those factors and the long trip from Chicago, and it just makes sense. I just checked Hungarian sports sites and there's no controversy around this. We tend to have trouble getting our core players to be regular starters at their clubs, so whenever someone like Nikolic is getting valuable playing time, the coach is likely to be more supportive of absences.

LouisianaViking07/09 and xtomx repped this.
  16. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Regarding Ciman it's worth noting that he was getting callups throughout the last 3 Belgium coaching regimes. Which means he's not just one random coach's preference. He probably is the genuine 4th or 5th best CB in the depth chart. Also remember that Belgium has no fullbacks which means that players like Alderweireld and Vertonghen play wide a lot.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Wait. Hungary lost to Andorra in June? What the hell happened there?

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Hungary was already eliminated by the 2nd round. Qualifying out of UEFA is so difficult, that there is no room for error. We started with a miserable away game to Faroe Islands in a downpour and high winds which killed the game. Ended 0-0. Next game Hungary played beautifully going forward, but as witnessed at the Euros, the defense is suspect and Hungary lost 3-2 on a last minute goal to Switzerland. That effectively ended qualification, which makes bizarre results like Andorra possible.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so how many call-ups has Ciman get? is it just that he hasn't played in as many games in that case?

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    better or worst than when Greece lost to the Faroe Islands? I do wonder

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Irvine Welsh Scotland is the lowest of the low.

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm sorry but England are a tier below France, Spain and Italy.

Boloni86 repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but but but they have PL stars

24. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This English team has less star power than any I remember. Which is not to say it's worse on the field, of course; name recognition doesn't always correlate with the ability to win.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i was being sarcastic, but you're right. the current stars don't have the Name recognition of the squad 10-15 years ago which had loads of world-class stars.