David Villa Spain National Team Call up

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gamecock14, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Villa in the squad for WC Qualifiers.

I know MLS and others are going to push the call up as a sign of progress.

Personally, I think we take him for granted for what he has done off the field. He learned the language quickly and deals with the press a lot better than most players from Europe (as well as you can with NYCFC PR running stuff). He has a great social media feed and does well with fans. He is a great ambassador for the league and shows up to quite a number of league and team events. He has been a model pro.

I just have a lot of respect for him and what he has done. Well deserved.

2. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    #2 whiteonrice04, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Very cool! Has MLS ever had an active player play on a top European national team for a competitive game (non-friendly)? Did Giovinco play for Italy since he has been in MLS? Did Beckham play any for England after joining MLS. Seems like that was right about the time that he started getting left off the squad. Now that I think about it, it seems like he did play a couple games for England after moving to MLS. Pretty sure Henry was retired from international play before his move to MLS.
    I am guessing this is not the first time. Just curious.
    I know there have been lots of MLS players that were former national team players for top European teams.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can argue this way or that about who the best ever DP is, but can any one argue against Villa as the model of how you want a DP to represent himself? Passion, commitment, energy - he is awesome to watch. Scratch that - he's not the model for how DPs should play. He is the model for every single player in the league.

While I am glad for MLS that he got called up (and it is a big deal) I am psyched for him. He earned.

bigredfutbol, Burr, Boloni86 and 10 others repped this.
  4. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roberto Donadoni played for Italy at Euro '96.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty much agree with what's been said. I wish nothing but abject losses on the NY franchises but Villa is a class act and a great player. I appreciate what he's done for the league and hope he has the chance to shine for his country.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    While we are heaping on praise, 60 goals in three seasons is amazing.

7. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa has been in scintillating form. And he's probably more physically fit than at any time in his career. That's just the nature of MLS. He deserves this call-up based on merit. I hope he is able to contribute on the field.

Boloni86 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham played for England in the run-up to the 2010 WC (when he was playing both with LAG and Milan,and before he hurt his achilles). That said, England is not a 'top European national team'.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pirlo played against Malta in WCQ in September 2015.

10. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I figured someone would make that comment. I agree. I may have misused the phrase "top European national team"

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giovinco was called up back in 2015 after he came to MLS. I don't think he has been called since.

Belgium is ranked 9th in the world right now and Ciman gets called frequently to them including this latest roster.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA rankings - UEFA
    Then neither are France, Spain and Italy
    1 Germany
    2 Switzerland
    3 Poland
    4 Portugal
    5 Belgium
    6 France
    7 Spain
    8 Italy
    9 England

13. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is a well-deserved reward for David Villa. And, because this call-up confirms that he is still at the top of his game, it confers some prestige on NYCFC and on MLS.

Buuuut...

I wish it hadn't happened. Villa, at age 35, has only so much left; and I don't want him squandering it with the national team.

If he were 25 or even 30 years of age, then I wouldn't have this reaction. However, at his age, the idea that he will be streching himself too thin has to be considered.

14. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I never thought I would say that I'm bursting with pride for David Villa 3 years ago when I bought my season tickets. At first, he was adjusting to play and would often get extremely frustrated with teammates and yell and throw his hands in the air. From there he decided to make everyone else around him better, be the example they can all strive to emulate, have the will to succeed and win, learn a new language, and completely immerse himself in a foreign land and new culture. The goals have been incredible and the work rate is phenomenal for a forward - the amount of times he's tracked back 30 yards to win back a ball in his own half is inspiring. El Guapo forever.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bigredfutbol, Len, Boloni86 and 8 others repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    England was ranked 7th in the October, 2009 rankings, when Beckham last played for the National Team (his last game was October 14, 2009).
    EXACTLY where Spain is now.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely have seen a change this season, where he's been more willing to lay the ball off for colleagues rather than try and score from impossible angles, which makes his production even more incredible.

Assists (Appearances)
    2015 - 8 (33)
    2016 - 4 (30)
    2017 - 8 (24)

18. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Everyone remembers what Conte said about Pirlo and Seba moving to MLS right with respect to NT selection right?

Villa getting called up should help change this ridiculous mentality

Love this guy, hate playing against him tho

19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a meme based on their repeatedly disappointing play in significant tournaments.

Last six Euros: R16, Quarters, DNQ, Quarters, 3rd in Group, Semis (host).
    Last six WC: Last in Group, R16, Quarters, Quarters, R16, DNQ.

The most impressive results are either the Euro semis as the host in 1996, or a couple quarterfinal appearances in the World Cup. By comparison, Germany, Spain, Italy, and France won the World Cup; the Netherlands appeared in a WC Final; and Portugal, Turkey, Croatia, Sweden, and Bulgaria made the Semis. Portugal, Spain (2x), Greece, France, and Germany won the Euros; Italy (2x) and the Czechs made the Finals; and Wales, Russia, Turkey, and the Netherlands appeared in the Semis without hosting.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still say England is a major European team, just chokers/bottlers.

xtomx repped this.
  21. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    Not sure about the guapo thing, but his friends call him guaje..

Burr repped this.
  22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That means different things in Spain and Latin America - kid/fool.

23. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    No question that he is a top 5 DP signing in league history, in large part because of everything you mentioned here. Consummate professional in every aspect of the game.

24. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    I know that Fabio Capello "banished" Beckham and then eventually called him in. Not sure if it was for Euro or WC qualifiers. I know that both Seba and Pirlo have been called into the Italy squad for games. Almost certain that Pirlo played in competitive matches for Italy in his first year in the league.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  25. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Ha - was a typo actually thanks for catching!