David Ousted

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Ceres, May 27, 2013.

1. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    According to Danish media, Danish goalkeeper David Ousted is on his way to MLS and Vancouver Whitecaps ..

http://www.bold.dk/nyt/David-Ousted-paa-vej-til-MLS

His contract with Danish Bronze medalists Randers FC is not getting extended and he is now negotiating his personal terms with Vancouver Whitecaps this week... he is a kind of slightly above average keeper in the Superliga, but that could also be said about Jimmy Nielsen who is now doing well for Kansas City, if is should make a comparison.

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks for the heads-up on this. I wonder how long it will take to break in Vancouver media.

And an interesting move. The only way I can read this is that Joe Cannon's days are numbered. Great guy, but I think it is time to upgrade. But if this Dane is a starter, Knighton will want to bolt. He won't want to stay a back-up, I think.

Also, why are we going for a GK? Clearly we have bigger needs right now.

Ceres repped this.
  3. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    competition at any position is a good thing and IMO, the goalie position needed upgrading for the past 2 seasons-- cannon has been on the downhill for the past 2 seasons , partly due to his age, but also due to his indecisions on crosses and poor kicking ability- and knighton, while definitely better than cannon in both of these areas, still needs some work and having an experienced goalie who still has some playing days in him, will only help him mature into a better goalie

on paper- and i admit that i have never seen this new guy play-, should the signing happen, this appears to be a good move by the caps to upgrade the depth of the team for the rest of the season and beyond

a glaring example of the need for a good experienced goalie was last night's tieing/tournament winning goal by the Impact-- the caps had no one covering the far post which is exactly where the goal went in-- the goalie should have directed/yelled at a cap player into that position IMO- that is his responsibility- we have seen several gut-wrenching goals come from set pieces where no one is on the posts and it has cost us dearly, no more than last night

4. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i apologize to knighton-- the decision to not cover the far post was made by coach rennie-- a very foolish, naive error on his part!

5. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    David Ousted would be a clever signing.... he has the right age and has been at the top of his game (selected 5 times for the 'Team of thew Week' ) in the Danish Superliga this season for a Randers team that finished 3rd...

The reason why he is leaving Randers is because they could not come to an agreement over his personal terms, I suspect because he was greatly disappointed by the relegation in the 2010-11 season and by playing 1. Division for them last season, so he just found that it is time to move on and try something totally different.

As written elsewhere, he is a Superliga keeper a bit above average, but not the kind of keeper that would attract interest from the top leagues of Europe... still he is comparable to Jimmy Nielsen in the sense that they probably are at the same level at this point in their career, and both still feel that they have something to prove by moving abroad after having suffered relegation and playing Danish 1.Division.

Of course Jimmy Nielsen has been a bigger "name" in the Danish league in the past, but he was older when he moved abroad and had the options of retiring while playing Danish 1. Division or get a fresh start abroad, to prove himself, which he has done so well in MLS ... David Ousted is not as merited, but he is on the other hand a younger keeper at the very top of his game, with the same need to prove himself abroad at this point of his career.

6. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Ousted is no better than Jay Nolly from season 1. He was a lot cheaper too. I wonder if this was really a wise choice of money. Seems like a rip off to me.

7. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i think it will turn out to be super signing when looked at over the next 4 years-( if nolly were so good, he would be in the MLS-- he is a good NASL keeper)

now if we could something about our MF... its one of the weakest in MLS, regardless of what people want to believe-- the 'proof is in the pudding' so to speak- our MF has very little offensive punch outside of the odd surging run of Coker every 3-4 games, but he cant shoot worth a damn when he gets chances, and he is our best offensive MF!! his game is rugged power, not the finesse of a creative MF which the caps sorely need in 2014

8. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013

You are 100% wrong. Ousted is a marginal keeper at best, and is yet another Euro who came here thinking he was "too good for MLS' and got a reality check. We do not have a weak midfield when it is deployed correctly within a proper system. Coker, Teibert, Koffee are damn good. We just have to add one more guy.

I am new to this board, but looking around and sportie1 seems to be the only guy posting regularly. I look at your posts and wonder if you actually have knowledge of the games or if you are reading headlines and reacting.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    this season, except for 1 or 2 mistakes, ousted has been very good between the pipes and has made several world class saves- he is proving his worth IMO and was the right goalie to replace and upgrade for knighton who is #2 or #3 goalie for the Revs

so what do you think of NRCoker's play this season??

10. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    NRC has not been good and really doesn't fit into the midfield as Robbo is building it. I think with the rumored "incident" he needs another fresh start. He has had many fresh starts but is not lasting anywhere very long. So, it probably is best that they are parting company and we use the money elsewhere.