David Beckham: Evian vs. PSG [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, Apr 28, 2013.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Beckham sent off for this horror lunge/tackle/assault. I don't even know as to what you would classify this as. This has to be violent conduct. Just shocking. What's even more shocking is Beckham's reaction. He's surprised that a foul is a called much less the red is produced.

Thankfully he's gone from MLS and glad to see that European referees are not intimidated by him and aren't putting up with his garbage like MLS refs did for all those years (to be fair they didn't have a choice, if they sent Beckham off they wouldn't be refereeing another game for a while).

Thankfully he missed the guy's leg. We could have seen bone showing. Just awful. I'm not exaggerating, but this is one of the worst "on the ball" tackles I've ever seen.

This is what game to mind as maybe worse. It's so outrageous what he tried to do.

usaref and aphelorah repped this.
  2. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me stupid, but I'm not really seeing a red there. Yes its cleats, but it honestly doesn't look like much. Maybe the replay just doesn't make it look as vicious as it was.

BlackBart repped this.
  3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So basically, a player has to break someone's leg in order to get sent off? That's what you're saying. This is the perfect example of there not having to be contact for it to be a card/foul.

4. henryvIII

henryvIII Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would venture to say his intent was very obvious on that.

HeyDude, msilverstein47 and usaref repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Really? I thought it looked like he was trying to do what he did: get between the ball and the opponent and shove the opponent out of the way. Just because there is a lunge doesn't mean the lunge was at the opponent. Whether it was excessively dangerous to warrant a red? I dunno, I'll defer to the ref on the field who is far more experienced than I ever will be. But I think inferring an intent to maim is seeing something that isn't there.

6. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attempting to commit serious foul play( lunge/stamp combo) is the same as committing serious foul play, right? So why do we have to wait for a snapped leg before giving a red? Fortunately Beckham never connected on the foul. This foul was blatantly horrendous.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    He could have easily stuck his foot/leg into the same spot without raising it up and stomping down.

8. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need a much better clip. From the clip I just don't see enough. Looks like the cleat grazes the leg (obviously, it did more than that but we need to see that), which in a professional game I don't think is enough to go red.

9. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yooou really don't like this guy do you?

Honestly, I think we can't tell much from these replays. But honestly, to me it looks like he could be trying to extend his body as much as possible to get his hip out between the opponent and the ball. Maybe with a better angle I would definitively say red, but either way, this wouldn't be anything especially horrendous...

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Evian player's leg would be cracked in two if he doesn't pull up and jump when he sees the nature of Beckham's challenge. What additional replay angles do you guys need here? Beckham, at one point, is actually airborne with both feet off the ground and then comes down with a stomping motion, one leg extended over the ball with studs exposed. It's an absurd challenge and I struggle to see how--or why--people wouldn't want to go red here.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. That was a horrible challenge. If Beckham makes contact, he breaks the fib and tib. 100 percent deserved send off and a clear example that an attempt to break an opponents leg can result in a send off.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  12. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intent or not if that evian player doesn't jump out his leg is likely broken. Good send off to me.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I agree.
    This could go either way.
    I wouldn't have given the red, but I don't have a problem with it.

That being said, it certainly not the horror challenge the OP makes it out to be.

14. Billy South Philly

Jan 28, 2013
    Newtown Square, PA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I shudder at the thought that some of you are highly qualified referees. I don't really don't get how this requires much dissection if this isn't a red card offense. This is a textbook case that they use for Grade 8 certification videos in which they describe an act of serious foul play despite lack of actual contact. This is also what came to my mind:

Scrabbleship and arsenal8884 repped this.
  15. grasskamper

grasskamper Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Boys and girls, on these type of situations, watch the head and the eyes. Although one can't tell 100% from the video, it sure looks like Becks sees pinkie coming in for the challenge and lunges out, cleats exposed, to gain possession through intimidation (exposed cleats). Potentially causing significant damage if he makes contact. Clear SFP in my book. Time to hit the showers.

16. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Totally agree.

I think this sort of move is common: trying to carve out space and insinuate yourself between your opponent and the ball, often done with a vigorous stamp of the foot and a turn to make your back to the opponent. For me, it's often hard to make a judgment of SFP when little or no contact is made.

In this case, however, beckham hitches his leg up and then thrusts it down diagonally- there is no rationale to challenge this way except to intimidate or potentially harm. It is not faster- just a message that you get out of my way or something bad will happen to you.

17. mudhen

mudhen Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Red, red, red. . Geez, he stomp/chopped right at the guy's legs. I'll send you off in a heartbeat for that. Come to think of it, I've never even SEEN the most pissed off teenage boy try something like that.

18. henryvIII

henryvIII Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can't honestly believe people would not think this was a red card. To all the naysayers consider this, the clip you are viewing is slowed down significantly, if you see it in real time, just like the referee saw it, definite red card. It looked 10x worse in real time, no doubt about the card. I agree with my colleague from Philly I shudder at the thought that anyone who sees this as no red might be a high level referee.

19. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    @ Redstar - You say this has to be violent conduct, then call it one of the worst "on the ball" tackles you've ever seen. That's a pretty obvious contradiction, no? Beckham is clearly challenging for the ball here. SFP yes, but VC - absolutely not.

Also, the whole horror lunge/tackle/assault is a bit rich. I know SFP doesn't require contact, but assault sure does. It's a red card, no doubt. And it's interesting to talk about here, because it's one that many non-referees would not even call a foul (see Beckham's reaction). But let's not go crazy. There was no horror here.

Sport Billy repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. My understanding is that battery requires physical contact; assault only requires the threat of violence or physical contact. In the soccer world, for example, attempting to strike (or perhaps even threatening to strike) a referee would constitute "referee assault."

Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgeable if I'm wrong.

dadman repped this.
  21. Paper.St.Soap.Closed

Jul 29, 2010
    You are correct.

Wave a weapon at someone during a traffic dispute? Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Battery involves contact (although there is such a thing as unsuccessful battery, long story).

Back to the soccer world, we've discussed the merit of "upgrading" SFP to VC depending on the severity. I seem to recall there support for that in the case of a very un-soccerlike play that nevertheless involves the ball. However, I've always been a fan of writing up a tackle like this as SFP but going out of my way to ensure the reader knows its more than just the "normal" SFP. I think some upgrade to VC because their understand the league they work for blindly punishes based on which check box is marked, not dynamically looking at the situation.

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Black letter law, you are correct.
    But as criminal charges go, the term battery has almost disappeared.
    Most states now have assault and its various degrees

Regardless of the name, it doesn't change that the OP was a tremendous over-reaction.

23. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    In local amateur/adult games, I wrote up over the top tackles like Beckham's as violent conduct. In the report you just say "player made no attempt to play the ball."

In professional games you can't really write up plays like that as VC because there are replays and it would easily get overturned and the player wouldn't even serve a one game ban.

I can't remember who it was, but either Paul Tamberino or Herb Silva said "if you're not sure write it up as VC" or something of that extent. Basically, hammer the guy as harsh as you can.

24. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video no longer works. Anyone else have a new link or a better angle? Would really like to see a live speed shot if this.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006